Who wants Melo

Remove this Banner Ad

That seems like the opposite of what we'd do. I am not convinced that Melo actually makes a team better anymore as well.

I see Melo working in two ways:
1. As your 2nd/3rd string offensive weapon who can be damaging in limited touches - as long as he isnt a defensive liability.
2. As your 6th man instant offense off the bench - similar to a younger Jamal Crawford or Manu.

Thing is - those only work if Melo buys into the team thing, accepts a lesser role and plays adequate defense... havent seen much at NY to suggest he is happy to accept that.

Melo's best ball at NY (and for Team USA) was when he played at the 4 a few years ago. He's an underrated rebounder and defends far better in the post than at the perimeter - I would say only just below what Love offers. He's been reluctant to play at the 4 the last couple of seasons because of the physical toll on his body, but I think playing w/ LeBron would change his mind on that. Wouldn't be surprised to see Melo > Cavs, Love > Clips, Blake > Knicks, with extra picks/players to balance.

Melo is a ballstopper, but can also pass like a PG when he wants to. If Melo's body and attitude remain healthy, LeBron at the 3 and Melo at the 4 would be lethal.

It seems Carmelo Anthony's day's at the New York Knicks are done.

With two years left on his contract, what would you be willing to give up and why.

For example, I think Boston would be a good suitor, I'd give Melo and Knicks 2nd rounder for the prized first pick, which I would trade on to get Andre Drummond.

Thoughts

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Boston wouldn't trade the pick for jimmy butler no way in hell you would trade it for melo.

And on trade to Drummond your crazy man

Why not just trade melo up the pistons Drummond might be worth late first rd pick not in this century a no.1

Your talking about the celtics second round pick? you can't be talking about the brooklyn pick, I'ld want 3 melo's for that

Times number 1 pick has been traded for and didn't immediately blow up in the face of the trader

-a 20 year old Chris Webber for Penny Hardaway and 3 future first round picks

-Kevin Love for a 19 year old Wiggins, Bennett, Thad Young, And cash considerations

-Couple of scrubs for James Worthy (Classic Cav's)

-It's not going to be for a 32 year old Melo.
-It's not going to be for a 32 year old Melo
-It's not going to be for a 32 year old Melo
-If it was 5 years ago, You would probably trade it for a 27 year old Melo if your in Bostons Position right now.

Fultz/Ball/Jackson are worth much more to Boston then Melo, Boston will have 3+ year window, Nobodys due to fall off a cliff. Especially for a guy whos past their prime.

Clippers struggle due to too many offensive players and lack of good defenders on the wing and depth

Your trading your second best offensive player in his prime who's the most versitile scorer in the team for someone who hugely one dimensional and cant defend

It makes the clippers worse defensively, more one dimensional, and drops them to a first round exit team and your suddenly using Reddick/Crawford less. What the **** dude? Does DJ and Moute guard all 5 positions by themselves now?

"I've read" that the earth was flat.

Doc rivers has turned the clippers into a respectable laughing basketcase.

Chris Paul, JJ, Griff all coming into free agency have not been out of the 2nd round for a team nearly getting 50 wins that's a disgrace. and he also has the GM hat on in terms of team and roster spots. He gave his son 12 million a year.

They have traded away all of their picks brought Paul Pierce in on the wing. Starting Mbah a moute and the 2nd unit is guard central.

Crawford, Rivers, Felton, Wes Johnson.

Mo buckets is really your only tall with sea bass and they are both undersized the end is near for the clips with Griff going down if they can't get past the Rudy spite tower less jazz in the first round CP3 wants a ring he well evacuate and JJ wants cash.

Need to lock big Griff up on a long term deal and build around him or hope he doesn't skip town and leave for the Lakers or another team for free

Still not getting much of a gauge here, what players or draft pick is he worthy of.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You would give up a top (10) protected first rounder.

And a JJ reddick type melo is a star he would bring people through the door.

But his best basketball is behind him he is a ball stopper just loves getting the ball on the elbow and making a move. And he is such a good scorer you can't blame him but the NBA is changing he isn't a 3d guy so it's hard to give him a long contract he will want 25-30 million a year and he probably isn't worth it he would struggle at the 4 as well.

Yep, he wants his mate there.

A ball stopper and a guy who can't play defense.

Correct and they have shot makers Kyrie and Lebron do you really want melo holding it for 20 seconds and taking shots away from kyrie. Two small for the 4 position with tristan Thompson at centre and love at the four they are small. Imagine melo trying to box out

As logical as a clippers move would be, i can't see the clippers fighting to sign him .

Pierce is retiring, Mbah a Moute isnt offering his defensive pressure of previous seasons and is useless on the offensive side, bench is lacking depth on the 3 and 4 positions.

Too expensive as a bench player would suffer the tight D that Crawford cops. Add in Rivers whose decision making is questionable and Speights who wants to sit outside shooting 3s, they'll need a rebounding Pf for the bench and maybe some energy in the 2/3.

Thats all without the starters changing at least. As a starter i can see him working well, but given his age and the age of the starters, i don't see him as an option

I see LeBron drifting to more time at the 4 in the coming years, so not sure how that all fits in.
LeBron drifting to the 4 more? Could have sworn he got sick of banging with bigs in his time in Miami and going back to the 3 was a welcome relief to him when he came back to Cleveland.

LeBron drifting to the 4 more? Could have sworn he got sick of banging with bigs in his time in Miami and going back to the 3 was a welcome relief to him when he came back to Cleveland.

Bigs are getting less and less though. I can just see as he slows down (relatively), he'd be awesome out of the post.

I've got one: what about OKC?

Doesn't help their defensive woes at all, but suddenly becomes another offensive weapon to support Russ, and someone else who's actually wanting to have the ball when the pressures on. Gonna be a poor man's version of Durant, but would be enough to keep them around that 4/5 spot in the West I reckon.

It would also signify the Thunder "rewarding" Russ for sticking with them and makin g the moves to still be a decent team, rather than bottoming out.

Either OKC's first rounder plus smaller pieces, or Kanter and OKC's 2nd rounder (maybe 1st)?
I can't see NY getting a much better offer than that, and I reckon playing 2nd fiddle to Russ is something Melo would actually want to do - and remember, unless everything goes to s**t, Melo would still have his no trade clause in place.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melo is worth a lot more than Kanter and a 2nd.

I agree, but I also don't see clubs jumping over themselves to offer much more than that, especially not clubs that would entice Melo to waive his clause.

Really comes down to how messy this gets and whether NY just get desperate to send him out the door.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back