Who wants to be an AFL player

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

So I sat through this and watched this crap. I can't help but be annoyed with this video. Gold Coast have put it out there so think it's only fair to review it.

No wonder Gold Coast are so bad when you have players going through crap like this. It's like watching a accountant who has no idea try and teach players how to play footy. This guy has no idea and the players are so bored out of their mind. Game has become way over coached. I hate everything about this video. If this is what it's like being an AFL player then no wonder players are coming out now being depressed. Review the games all you like but it won't make them any better.

This insight sucks. That is all.

Last edited:

No wonder so many players talk about and bow out citing mental health now. They've managed to take a game these guys started playing for fun as kids, continued with out of passion as teenagers, and turned it into such a heavily scrutinized buzz word hell. "AFL Standard", "promote and educate", "our trademark behaviour, specifically discipline". It really is the sporting equivalent of studying an interest at uni for a bunch of years and then winding up in an cubicle sitting opposite Karen from accounts receiving who has fingernails way too long for her keyboard work and loves to loudly gossip about the royals and the Kardashians to Beverly from accounts payable two seats down, meanwhile your boss is micro-managing your workload from another office and directing you to report to two project managers while demanding his own work is completed as top priority.

Lukosius was only smiling on camera when he was simply talking about the weather and just kicking a ball outside then.

Long time believer that coaching is needlessly over complicated and that 'leadership' from players is hilariously junior.

You could win a flag with emphasising basic junior level things I reckon. Mark out in front, not on your chest. Kick well both feet. Set shots need to be capitalised. Know the rules (so you can rush a deliberate behind if you need too! Have seen multiple goals given up this year because avoiding the rushed behind when players were well within their rights too).

Skill level is the other one. Hit your targets, ease the pressure off rushed handballs, hit your targets, cut up zones, hit your targets, forwards get an easy mark.

Easier said than done obviously but it could be done if there was as much emphasis put on ball drop, kicking mechanics as "where to stand in the zone".

No wonder so many players talk about and bow out citing mental health now. They've managed to take a game these guys started playing for fun as kids, continued with out of passion as teenagers, and turned it into such a heavily scrutinized buzz word hell. "AFL Standard", "promote and educate", "our trademark behaviour, specifically discipline". It really is the sporting equivalent of studying an interest at uni for a bunch of years and then winding up in an cubicle sitting opposite Karen from accounts receiving who has fingernails way too long for her keyboard work and loves to loudly gossip about the royals and the Kardashians to Beverly from accounts payable two seats down, meanwhile your boss is micro-managing your workload from another office and directing you to report to two project managers while demanding his own work is completed as top priority.

Lukosius was only smiling on camera when he was simply talking about the weather and just kicking a ball outside then.
I've got an acquaintence that was on an AFL list but spent most of his time injured or in the VFL side, he came through the TAC and he's said it's like this from the very beginning. For his TAC side they often had to go to training camps that would involve 2x3 hour training sessions per day for a couple of weeks. They were doing film reviews of games and drills with a bunch of 15-16-17 year olds who aren't earning a single dime to do so.

Being an AFL player and going through this type of stuff takes a special breed.

Long time believer that coaching is needlessly over complicated and that 'leadership' from players is hilariously junior.

You could win a flag with emphasising basic junior level things I reckon. Mark out in front, not on your chest. Kick well both feet. Set shots need to be capitalised. Know the rules (so you can rush a deliberate behind if you need too! Have seen multiple goals given up this year because avoiding the rushed behind when players were well within their rights too).

Skill level is the other one. Hit your targets, ease the pressure off rushed handballs, hit your targets, cut up zones, hit your targets, forwards get an easy mark.

Easier said than done obviously but it could be done if there was as much emphasis put on ball drop, kicking mechanics as "where to stand in the zone".
To give an example of less coaching, Dimma has gone on record saying 2016 and prior he over coached and then 2017 onwards adopted a mantra of letting the team have fun, express themselves on and off the field and he just let's them play footy to their strengths.

Is it for everyone? Maybe not, all I know is Richmond over the last 30 months is the best we have been since 1980.

Aren't they just using data/video to help Suns players improve their gameplan and decision-making in game? So many sport teams across the world do this and nothing negative comes of it. It'd be hard for an organisation, especially one that's struggling on-field like the Suns, to not use all the data and footage available in anyway necessary to rectify their on-field issues.

These players get paid $100,000+'s, I'm pretty sure they can handle a little film study for an hour over the week (they'd probably be watching a few hours of Netflix anyway at home).

Yeah, obviously that was boring as hell but these guys aren't doing this for 40 hours a week. Small part of the training load I'd think. Less of an issue than the "there's always someone with a camera around waiting to record a minor infraction" kinda thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To give an example of less coaching, Dimma has gone on record saying 2016 and prior he over coached and then 2017 onwards adopted a mantra of letting the team have fun, express themselves on and off the field and he just let's them play footy to their strengths.

Is it for everyone? Maybe not, all I know is Richmond over the last 30 months is the best we have been since 1980.

It won you a flag in 2017 so I reckon it was pretty damn successful!

I doubt that Dimma statement meant that there was no video analysis and whatnot though. There were probably a few sessions like this per week. It's not like he just went "yeeeah boys lets just kick it long and s**t". Still an obvious gameplan, obvious analysis, lots of tactics etc.

I have also seen umpires incorrectly 'interpret' this rule and penalise a player for doing what is within the rules.

I can fully understand their reluctance to rush behinds, particularly when in most instances they have NFI as to whether an opponent is within 2, or 5, or 8 metres of them...

So you reckon Richmond aren't doing any video analysis and individual player feedback?

I doubt that Dimma statement meant that there was no video analysis and whatnot though. There were probably a few sessions like this per week. It's not like he just went "yeeeah boys lets just kick it long and ****". Still an obvious gameplan, obvious analysis, lots of tactics etc.

So you reckon Richmond aren't doing any video analysis and individual player feedback?

They are, but I still think come game time there is a heavy emphasis on just letting the boys play football and scaled back not over coaching. There is also a club wide emphasis on enjoyment and fun which is a change from what his style was previously that runs from training to pregame meetings to half time addresses. Jack Higgins is literally telling jokes at halftime addresses.

These are Dimma's statements, not mine, its pretty well documented in the Yellow and Black book and in media articles and quotes from Dimma himself.

They are paid professionals not kids running round an oval, there are standards and expectations.

Go see how hard it is to learn an NFL playbook and tell me how hard it is for AFL players to listen to a meeting for a few hours.

So I sat through this and watched this crap. I can't help but be annoyed with this video. Gold Coast have put it out there so think it's only fair to review it.

No wonder Gold Coast are so bad when you have players going through crap like this. It's like watching a accountant who has no idea try and teach players how to play footy. This guy has no idea and the players are so bored out of their mind. Game has become way over coached. I hate everything about this video. If this is what it's like being an AFL player then no wonder players are coming out now being depressed. Review the games all you like but it won't make them any better.

This insight sucks. That is all.

"Review the games all you like but it won't make them any better." <--What a ridiculous thing to say. Op have you ever even played a sport?

Some of you need to get a reality check. What do you expect a review to be like? Them drinking beers and laughing about it? This is pretty standard in any professional sporting code in the world. A team in any sport on the planet that doesn't engage in a little boring match review will quickly find themselves down the bottom of the table.

What a s**t thread.

Last edited:
I reckon it depends on who you are. Some players - I assume the type who will go into coaching one day - like strategy, detail and analysis. Others prefer just a few simple instructions. Different strokes and all that.

What is true enough, though, is that the way you set up at stoppages wins and loses games of footy in the modern era. It's not just a case of "wanting it more" and the like.

so i watch some football footage and reflect on how i play and get payed s**t loads...

campaigners have to do jobs 100 times worse than this and get payed fk all

cry me a *ing river milenial

Remove this Banner Ad

Back