Moved Thread Who was better - Dangerfield 2016 or Martin 2017?

Who was better - Dangerfield 2016 or Martin 2017?

• Patrick Dangerfield 2016

Votes: 43 26.2%
  • Dustin Martin 2017

Votes: 121 73.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't think Dusty was gifted votes? Check out the GF. I wasn't surprised he won the Norm Smith, but IMO and the opinion of others he was not BOG. Yes he had a fantastic 4Q when the game was done and dusted, or should I say Dustined?

Gifted NS votes yes. He was great but not BOG. But for the Brownlow not to the level of Dangerfield.

The media fawning over Dangerfield was beyond ridiculous. Dusty had senior people of his club calling for a 1 year ban because Mr Miagi.

Gifted NS votes yes. He was great but not BOG. But for the Brownlow not to the level of Dangerfield.

The media fawning over Dangerfield was beyond ridiculous. Dusty had senior people of his club calling for a 1 year ban because Mr Miagi.
The media fawns over all the champions. It is human nature. To say Danger received nods when they weren't deserving is laughable. If I'm wrong tell me in what games he received media votes that were not deserving

Two great players. Both guns. I think Martin has the edge though. He is like Scott Pendlebury and Patrick Dangerfield combined. He’s a bull, but with finesse and has an incredible ability to fend off. Dangerfield is more straight line, where as Martin can move like a UFO. Obviously I’m bias.

yep i sure would take Martins 28 possession 0 goal final (most in junk time after his opponent went off the ground injured) over dangers 26 touch, 8 marks and 4 goal performance with all goals coming in the opening half. Martins 20 touch 3 goal game also better um just because. and lets not talk about the joke of martin winning a norm smith. One of the least deserved norm smiths in the past twenty years.
Would of been hard to pick the Norm Smith imo, but 21 contested possessions? I think if Houli kicked at least one of his two set shots, he probably would of bagged it.

Martin 17 v Danger 16 - martin for mine

Martin 17 v Danger 17 is more open as I feel Danger was better in 17 than he was in 16. Sure Martin won everything which is incredible and looks amazing in the record books, but you could make a good case for Danger being every bit as good if not better than martin in 17.

dangerfield racked up 31 touches. Was far better at finding the ball then Martin. Dangerfield had his worst kicking display for the season which is why his game is marked harshly.
28 Dusty possessions does a whole lot more damage than 31 Danger possessions
gesus martin was coughing up the ball as bad as dangerfield in that video.
Coughing the ball up? please Dusty was clear best of field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair isn't this kinda debate the whole reason of a footy forum? At the end of the day it is all opinion based but i think it makes for good conversation.

It would make for good conversation if it wasn't something that has been discussed to death and just ends in Geelong and Richmond fans being dicks to each other.

He had the most successful season, that doesn't necessarily mean he produced the best individual season.

Doesn't necessarily mean he didn't either. I think its too hard to compare other years because of different game styles and game plans. Ablett kicking 124 goals from 17 games could be the greatest, but that's simply because forwards kicked more goals then.

Last edited:
28 Dusty possessions does a whole lot more damage than 31 Danger possessions

Coughing the ball up? please Dusty was clear best of field
no one is disputing martin was better in the first final. Danger was shank city that night. although there is a lot of coughing up the pill by martin in that video. more than i remember.

Prefer to think ahead to 2018.

30% DE in the QF really blots Dangers copybook. Given how much play Geelong channel through him, that effort not only cost them the game, but made the road to the gf near impossible, effectively costing them the season.

Has a lot to make up for in 2018 does Danger..QF redemption

Martin 2018..all about managing expectations. Where do you go after the GOAT season? Can't win more, can only fall back from the peak.

not even close. fyfes last third of 2015 was frankly awful. only fyfes first 14 games stacks up but the other two did it all season.

You mean from about the point when Mitchell callously kneed Fyfe in the quad and immobilised him (the second victim that season) and yet he kept playing week after week?

But of the options offered, Danger 16 comfortably.

Back