Moved Thread Who was/is the better player. Gary Ablett jnr or Dustin Martin?

Who's the better player Gary jnr or Dusty?

• Total voters

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Dusty for me. Prefer a mid that can kick 5 over one who can accumulate 40 touches.

Dusty has kicked 5 or more in a game 4 times, Ablett only twice.

Ablett has kicked 4 or more in a game 17 times, Dusty has done it 12 times.

Ablett averages more goals and goal assists per game over his career. Their average disposals per game over their careers are 24.92 to Ablett and 24.70 to Dusty.

Ablett's peak from game 101 to game 268.
5,189 disposals @ 30.90 per game and 223 goals @ 1.33 per game.
During that period 2 x flags, 2 x Brownlows, 5 x MVPs, 3 x Coaches awards, 8 x AA, 5 x b&f's (both in premiership years), 3 x club leading goal kicker.

Dusty's peak from game 64 to game 224.
4,325 disposals @ 26.86 and 183 goals @ 1.14 per game.
During that period, 2 x flags, 2 x Norm Smith Medals, 2 x Gary Ayres awards, 2 x b&f's (one in a premiership year), 1 x Coaches award, 3 x AA, 1 x Brownlow, 1 x MVP.

There was no Gary Ayres award during Ablett's first stint at Geelong, it's not out of the question that he would have been right in the firing line for player of the finals for 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Idiot Richmond nuffie logic.

Which is why Castagna is better than Richo according to the Tiger nuffies.

Dusty had one season, 2017, where he played a season of footy at a level that Gaz Jnr was at for about 6/7 years.

Only a few Richmond nuffs try to cherry pick a few scenarios to make arguments for Dusty.
And he wasn't even the best player that year either. Dangerfields 2017 was better..

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I was talking coaches award finishes....ya nong.

GAZjnr won it three times on the trot 07,08,09....and then 6th in his final year at the Cats. When was at GC he finished 5th, 3rd, 2nd and 5th.

If you want brownlow Gaz went

4th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 5th, 5th, 1st, 2nd

So across an 8 year period, Gaz was top 5 in brownlow and coaches basically every year...and the players gave him 5 MVP gongs during this span, and he won 5-6 club BnFs.

That is sustained brilliance that nobody else gets close to, 8 consecutive seasons where coaches, players, umpires ranked him in top handful in output and performance (not reputation).

Dusty only had two equivalent years 2017 (which was amazing) and 2016.

But yes, Dusty had a good game in a belting of the Giants so is better...Richmond nuff logic

I’ve never heard a more uneducated statement than this. What’s sad is that you think you are being smart.

Imo
GAJ at GC is like Danger at the Crows.
The sh.tier his team was the more license he got the play on his own terms.
Might be a more interesting question which would you pick in your team to win games and games when it counts.
That’s what players are for.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
The mvp is named after matthews labeled the best player of the last century.
Best finals player is named after Gary Ayer’s medal not the best player of the last century.
Multiple MVP list here the best of the best on it.

Again GAJ got 2 MVPs at the Suns because he was the only player not 18 years old, people just don’t think so they. “bUt He DoMiNaTeD tHe CoMp FoR 7 YeArs” at a club that didn’t make finals, yeah would be shaking in my boots going up against GAJ at the Suns

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Poll looks like it could go either way at the moment...

Nostalgia. People don’t remember a players bad games once somebody retires only good ones thus making them think they were better than they were. Case and point being GAS do you hear anybody talk about his bad games at the pub? I don’t just good ones. It’s like they forgot his other poor finals games which he had more off existed. Wait 5 years after Dusty retires to be fair at least.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
GAJ for me. Dusty has been great for the Tigers, pretty consistent and durable and 2017 was a phenomenal season. His finals record is outstanding. But there were years and years where GAJ was just far and away the best player in the league. I really think footy lost something when he headed to the GCS. His record was enhanced, but if he'd stayed at Geelong I think more premierships would have come his way and the accolades of being the best player in the best team would have elevated him to a higher status.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Again GAJ got 2 MVPs at the Suns because he was the only player not 18 years old, people just don’t think so they. “bUt He DoMiNaTeD tHe CoMp FoR 7 YeArs” at a club that didn’t make finals, yeah would be shaking in my boots going up against GAJ at the Suns

That doesn't really make sense. The MVP is voted by all players from all clubs.

marcmurphy3

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Brownlow 2, coaches award 3. Therefore it is closer to 3 than 7. GAJ playing at Gold Coast inflated his MVP record by default.
Your whole logic on MVP is laughable. It has nothing to do with being the most valuable player in your team. It is simply the best player as voted by the players. Otherwise midfielders would never win it. Would be guys like Stewart and May.

And as far as being in a weak team helping him you might just want to check how many other players have won the MVP from poor teams. I can tell you. Only 1 player in the last 30 years (Cripps) has won the MVP from a bottom half of the ladder team.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Nostalgia. People don’t remember a players bad games once somebody retires only good ones thus making them think they were better than they were. Case and point being GAS do you hear anybody talk about his bad games at the pub? I don’t just good ones. It’s like they forgot his other poor finals games which he had more off existed. Wait 5 years after Dusty retires to be fair at least.

Ablett's only poor final in his first 17 (Martin has played in 15 up to this stage of his career), which was his first stint at Geelong was the 2005 semi against Sydney when Nic Davis got them up from out of nowhere. In his second stint at Geelong when he was 34 - 36 years old, he played a further 8 finals and didn't set the world on fire, a little cameo here and there to get the team rolling or to keep them in touch and ended with him busting his shoulder in the opening minutes of the 2020 gf.

Let's see what Dusty's putting up when he's 34 to 36 years of age.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
That doesn't really make sense. The MVP is voted by all players from all clubs.

And they voted for GAJ because he was the ONLY veteran footballer at a club. Everybody else was still a teenager. It was a given he’d win it. Same with his 4 B&Fs at the Suns, only got 2 at the cats. Do you really think an 18 year old could’ve won the B&Fs at the suns? The contract pretty much had 2 MVPs, 4 B&Fs and leading goal kickers on it in invisible ink. Plus he didn’t give a s**t about winning games so he could play as selfish as wanted which he did. He is the ultimate state hoarder in the game taking advantage of being at a start up club, you guys have fallen for the ruse think he is better than he actually is.

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Luckily Jeremy Howes, Will Hoskin-Elliot, Jack Crisp, Darcy Cameron, Taylor Adams and Patrick Lapinski aren't playing for Collingwood this weekend.

WHE not playing for a franchise team. Sadly, Abblett did for cash. Left his team stranded for the dollar then tried to come back and it was sad.

Back