Moved Thread Who was/is the better player. Gary Ablett jnr or Dustin Martin?

Who's the better player Gary jnr or Dusty?

• Total voters
Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was able to stat hoard because he didn’t care about winning. The whole teams game plan was give it to Gaz. Not hard to figure out why his CV is inflated. His MVPs don’t match with his Brownlow or Coaches association numbers. He got 2 leading goal kickers at the Suns NONE at the cats. He also got DOUBLE the B&Fs at the Suns than the Cats ( 4v2). ALL OF WHICH WERE IN THE FIRST 4 YEARS of goal coasts inception. Gee I wonder why? Can’t believe you guys are actually falling for it
Ok give him 2 mvps to join diesel Carey voss Judd and Fyfe as the only multiple winners

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
It’s ok you know, people are allowed to be greedy pigs.

Dusty had many people trying to prie him away from Richmond. Including franchises with extra cap. He stayed and won three norm smiths in a row also being first to get brownlow, flag and normy, thus making him a legend.

Gabbylet coulda done that but he was greedy and that’s ok.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon Dusty probably doesn't need more money either hey.

How much money u think an investment property costs?

Coulda got a couple on corio bay for each of his kids anyway, plenny of propery tycoons to help out that way, just ask paddy dangerfield. You can book some of his places on airbnb. right near the waves too!

It’s called an example.

Again, explain to me why his lifestyle for his entire post retirement existence should be determined and planned under the ‘it’s ok this will do’ approach?

Why doesn’t every singer just perform their next tour for free. They’re loaded, right?

Russell Crowe - I’m expecting any second to hear of him playing his next role at no cost.

And Martin - well after finding out that he didn’t go to north Melbourne I’m going to guess that he’s playing for a can of coke and $0.50 of mixed lollies each week…… oh what’s that? He isn’t? He’s playing for $1.3 million a season? Half a million dollars a year MORE than Ablett turned down from Geelong?

Gee this is interesting.

I’ve got enough money to pay my rent and my bills and my groceries over the next month I reckon I’ll ask my employer if they can halve my wage for that period

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Ok give him 2 mvps to join diesel Carey voss Judd and Fyfe as the only multiple winners

Despite all I’ve said I agree GAJ is still the best H&A player I just think he dominated the game closer to 3 seasons not 5+. All his awards bar the AA and Brownlow at the Suns are worthless.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s ok you know, people are allowed to be greedy pigs.

Dusty had many people trying to prie him away from Richmond. Including franchises with extra cap. He stayed and won three norm smiths in a row also being first to get brownlow, flag and normy, thus making him a legend.

Gabbylet coulda done that but he was greedy and that’s ok.

He had one ‘franchise’ trying to prise him away. They offered him $1.5 million a season.
He stayed at Richmond for $1.2 or $1.3 depending which source is correct.

The fact that you are self righteous enough to call someone greedy for accepting a pay rise pretty much says all I need to know.

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
It’s called an example.

Again, explain to me why his lifestyle for his entire post retirement existence should be determined and planned under the ‘it’s ok this will do’ approach?

Why doesn’t every singer just perform their next tour for free. They’re loaded, right?

Russell Crowe - I’m expecting any second to hear of him playing his next role at no cost.

And Martin - well after finding out that he didn’t go to north Melbourne I’m going to guess that he’s playing for a can of coke and $0.50 of mixed lollies each week…… oh what’s that? He isn’t? He’s playing for $1.3 million a season? Half a million dollars a year MORE than Ablett turned down from Geelong?

Gee this is interesting.

I’ve got enough money to pay my rent and my bills and my groceries over the next month I reckon I’ll ask my employer if they can halve my wage for that period
Calm down dude.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
This is why you contribute nothing to this thread and are essentially PB’s wingman liking his comments.
How many posts have I given out likes to? But seriously, you've put in nearly 150 posts between this and the Hawkins thread, and I can count on the one hand how many are coherent. :drunk:

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Despite all I’ve said I agree GAJ is still the best H&A player I just think he dominated the game closer to 3 seasons not 5+. All his awards bar the AA and Brownlow at the Suns are worthless.

All his awards bar the one that says ‘you were the best player out of 600 in the competition this year’ and the one that says ‘you were easily the best player in your position out of roughly 130-140 4 years in a row’ are meaningless. It’s just those minor honours that count. Those very small acknowledgements, they count, but we can essentially ignore them because they’re so minor.

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I’ve got enough money to pay my rent and my bills and my groceries over the next month
Nice feeling, isn't it?

Me personally, I got 2 cars in the garage, mortgage under control, went on vaccay in April, thinking about next vaccay now. Bit of cash (not heaps just a little bit) saved up for rainy days, you never know what life might throw at you.

Could I have more monies? Sure I could! Neither the wife or I work full-time. We like hanging out with family and indulging in hobbies too much :D

Some things are more important than money see. I reckon if you ask Garry now he'd agree. He was begging to come back remember. But unfortunately for Garry he decided he wanted heaps and heaps of money he didn't actually need instead, and that's fine.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Nice feeling, isn't it?

Me personally, I got 2 cars in the garage, mortgage under control, went on vaccay in April, thinking about next vaccay now. Bit of cash (not heaps just a little bit) saved up for rainy days, you never know what life might throw at you.

Could I have more monies? Sure I could! Neither the wife or I work full-time. We like hanging out with family and indulging in hobbies too much :D

Some things are more important than money see. I reckon if you ask Garry now he'd agree. He was begging to come back remember. But unfortunately for Garry he decided he wanted heaps and heaps of money he didn't actually need instead, and that's fine.

And whatever yours and your wife’s careers are, you’ve probably got around 40-50 years to squeeze the sponge. As opposed to a footballer who has 15.

And isn’t it amazing that you enjoy hobbies? Imagine taking a deal that could mean you don’t have to work 40 hour weeks your whole life and can - wait for it - indulge your hobbies? Wouldn’t that be something

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
How many posts have I given out likes to? But seriously, you've put in nearly 150 posts between this and the Hawkins thread, and I can count on the one hand how many are coherent. :drunk:

I have so many posts because I’m always replying to 5+ people at the same time because the sook about my views. You pretty much respond to only me.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
And they voted for GAJ because he was the ONLY veteran footballer at a club. Everybody else was still a teenager. It was a given he’d win it. Same with his 4 B&Fs at the Suns, only got 2 at the cats. Do you really think an 18 year old could’ve won the B&Fs at the suns? The contract pretty much had 2 MVPs, 4 B&Fs and leading goal kickers on it in invisible ink. Plus he didn’t give a s**t about winning games so he could play as selfish as wanted which he did. He is the ultimate state hoarder in the game taking advantage of being at a start up club, you guys have fallen for the ruse think he is better than he actually is.

Each club nominates 3 players to go into the voting pool for the award. Every player in the AFL then selects who they think is the league's MVP, they are not allowed to vote on players from their own club. He was 1 of 51 / 54 nominated players, that is all, the players from the other 16 / 17 clubs were not obliged to give him one single vote. If you don't understand how the voting works for the award, you probably should stop embarrassing yourself.

He was elite and in his prime for 4 years at Geelong, 2007 to 2010. In that time Geelong won 2 flags, he was the b&f in both of those years. Prior to 2007 he played as a small forward.

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
And whatever yours and your wife’s careers are, you’ve probably got around 40-50 years to squeeze the sponge. As opposed to a footballer who has 15.
Mate Jobe Watson can't even form a sentence and he's earning six figures to speak on television. Garry was the best player in the league he could have had any job in footy he wanted. Was offered 4 million in football income alone (not including endorsements etc) in 5 years? He was never stacking shelves when he turned 40.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
WHE not playing for a franchise team. Sadly, Abblett did for cash. Left his team stranded for the dollar then tried to come back and it was sad.

Yep, left his team stranded, they won the flag the season after he left. Like the other idiot posting, maybe you should stop while you're behind.

If another employer came to me and said I can do the exact same job but we'll pay you twice as much money, I'd be handing in my notice.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
All clubs have rich benefactors helping out players with nice post-football employment opportunities, cheeky property deals etc. Cept GCS and GWS who have to rely on AFL "ambassador payments". Plenny nice sponsorship deals for the Geelong boys too, Cotton On whatever.

Anyway I don't think 800,000k and 1.8mill is that different. Like if you wanna get drunk in your garage by yourself and you got 2 slabs of beer that's probably gonna get you drunk, you don't need 20 slabs, know what I'm saying? He was set up for life, but also money-hungry piggyman who wanted more. Maybe he was just scared of having to play more finals, he coulda played heaps of them but he was holding prayer groups with karmichael coke-man instead.

He was pretty much financially supporting the rest of his dysfunctional family, from his dad down.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Each club nominates 3 players to go into the voting pool for the award. Every player in the AFL then selects who they think is the league's MVP, they are not allowed to vote on players from their own club. He was 1 of 51 / 54 nominated players, that is all, the players from the other 16 / 17 clubs were not obliged to give him one single vote. If you don't understand how the voting works for the award, you probably should stop embarrassing yourself.

He was elite and in his prime for 4 years at Geelong, 2007 to 2010. In that time Geelong won 2 flags, he was the b&f in both of those years. Prior to 2007 he played as a small forward.

I know how the voting works. I think you just don’t understand what I am saying. The other players voted for GAJ because they know out of ALL the other clubs GAJ was more valuable to his club compared to other stars at their respective clubs. No doubt he was as I have stated previously because of the age of the other players at the Suns.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Mate Jobe Watson can't even form a sentence and he's earning six figures to speak on television. Garry was the best player in the league he could have had any job in footy he wanted. Was offered 4 million in football income alone (not including endorsements etc) in 5 years? He was never stacking shelves when he turned 40.

So.

Again I will ask: why should the opinion of a public who would all take a $1 million pay increase, dictate the lifestyle and financial capability of someone for the 60 years after they retire?

Do you think maybe the extra money is coming in handy now that he has a son with a degenerative disease that needs virtual round the clock care and requires total dependence?

Do you think it’s maybe helping his brother who couldn’t handle the spotlight of professional footy for long enough to make a decent living from it? His old man who hasn’t said a word in 25 years much less picked up an endorsement?

Do you reckon he just might be sitting there occasionally going ‘well I did the right thing by my family and the people who depend on me. But BOY I wish I had the approval of the hypocrites in the AFL fan base.’

Look, I rate Dusty highly and quite like him. I actually enjoy Richmond and have a history of disliking Geelong. I think he's perhaps the best finals player (outside of Clark Keating) that I've ever seen. The second half of the 2020 Grand Final will be his legacy on the game...

...but this isn't even a contest. Ablett jnr is the best midfielder I've seen in my life and is on a tier to his own with daylight from all challengers. He single handedly had Gold Coast challenging for finals in 2014 before going down injured in Round 14 or 15. He nearly won the brownlow playing only 16 games!

Back