Moved Thread Who was/is the better player. Gary Ablett jnr or Dustin Martin?

Who's the better player Gary jnr or Dusty?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Our first 13 finals matches yielded a record of 3-10
Our last 21 have yielded a record of 7-14

In between times over the space of 82 years we went at bang on 50 per cent.

I don’t think your statement holds the sort of gravitas you think it does.

I’m also not certain that things like a second half meltdown in a final in 2019 has the sort of relativity to a game on 1926 that you think it does.

Idk man seems like a bit of a pattern imo. When you compare legends of the game from all clubs, your best players tend to be a little dry on finals success compared to others whilst almost always being the best in H&A.

Idk man seems like a bit of a pattern imo. When you compare legends of the game from all clubs, your best players tend to be a little dry on finals success compared to others whilst almost always being the best in H&A.

Our three greatest players ever are Gary Ablett Jr who has 2 flags from 3 grand finals, Graham Farmer who has 1 from 6 seasons at the club, and Gary Sr who has 0.

Arguably our next 5 best players are Doug Wade who has 1 premiership, Bill Goggin who has 1, Garry Hocking with 0 and Joel Selwood and Corey Enright who have 3 each.

It should. Just scroll to the top and click the circle next to Ablett and then the 'cast vote' button.

Cheers man , I actually had to go to ‘web view’, because the app on the phone didn’t show the button nor the actual poll. Didn’t even know who was winning

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Our three greatest players ever are Gary Ablett Jr who has 2 flags from 3 grand finals, Graham Farmer who has 1 from 6 seasons at the club, and Gary Sr who has 0.

Arguably our next 5 best players are Doug Wade who has 1 premiership, Bill Goggin who has 1, Garry Hocking with 0 and Joel Selwood and Corey Enright who have 3 each.

Yeah see we have people like Bartlett with 5, Bourke with 5, Dyer with 2, Hafey with 4 and Hart with 4. All of which are immortals. Then you have the modern ones with 3. Poor Richo is left out though. Pies, Hawks, Blues and Bombers should have similar numbers to us I would’ve thought despite being worse than you in H&A I’m pretty sure.

Yeah see we have people like Bartlett with 5, Bourke with 5, Dyer with 2, Hafey with 4 and Hart with 4. All of which are immortals. Then you have the modern ones with 3. Poor Richo is left out though. Pies, Hawks, Blues and Bombers should have similar numbers to us I would’ve thought despite being worse than you in H&A I’m pretty sure.

The tigers and hawks both have had runs of success that saw them win 5+ flags in a short period of time.

Making out like that is the norm when it isn’t, skews your argument again.

Geelong have won 9 flags in 125 years. For almost all of that period, there has been a minimum of Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, North, Footscray, Fitzroy, South Melbourne/Sydney, St Kilda, Melbourne, Hawthorn, briefly University in the competition and for the last 30 years that number has grown to include Brisbane, West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide and Port Adelaide, and in the last 13 seasons GWS and Gold Coast.

Mathematically we should be averaging a flag roughly every 13-14 years. Which is exactly what we’ve achieved. We are no better, and no worse, than what the norm should statistically be. As such our best players should be a reasonably large cross section of players who have been there in our most successful eras (I haven’t mentioned anyone from our back to back flags) and a few who were there when we won nothing.

Having an era where you won a whole heap of flags across one generation is something for a club to be proud of however it is not the norm, it is the exception.

The tigers and hawks both have had runs of success that saw them win 5+ flags in a short period of time.

Making out like that is the norm when it isn’t, skews your argument again.

Geelong have won 9 flags in 125 years. For almost all of that period, there has been a minimum of Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, North, Footscray, Fitzroy, South Melbourne/Sydney, St Kilda, Melbourne, Hawthorn, briefly University in the competition and for the last 30 years that number has grown to include Brisbane, West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide and Port Adelaide, and in the last 13 seasons GWS and Gold Coast.

Mathematically we should be averaging a flag roughly every 13-14 years. Which is exactly what we’ve achieved. We are no better, and no worse, than what the norm should statistically be. As such our best players should be a reasonably large cross section of players who have been there in our most successful eras (I haven’t mentioned anyone from our back to back flags) and a few who were there when we won nothing.

Having an era where you won a whole heap of flags across one generation is something for a club to be proud of however it is not the norm, it is the exception.

Yeah fair enough

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes because no other players would take that sort of money. Heaps of them have been offered similar amounts. Heaps of players. Dozens. And all of them have knocked it back.

It's funny when people aren't in that position criticize someone for taking a huge cheque offered to them for doing nothing immoral or illegal.

Loyalty to a football club who would delist you if you were s**t? Or lifelong comfort and payoff for the hours and hours of sweat and tears you've gone through?

I love Collingwood, but if I was a star player and got offered that money to get tanned, play footy and set my family up for life. I'd be on the first flight out.

Jason Johannisen > Alex Rance
The poll is way out of whack. Anyone that wins 3xNorm Smiths is one of the greatest of all time. It's only because he's still playing that people don't recognize that.
Ablett is better than Voss and Judd but Martin wins you big finals time after time.

Back