Who was the greatest player you ever saw live?

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the most memorable things I saw was Plugger kick a goal on the siren to win a game for the Saints against Carlton at Moorabbin sometime toward the end of the 80's.
I lived in Melbourne for a while then and regularly saw the likes of Carey V Silvagni at Princess Park or Ablett Senior going boonta.
Carey was better but I liked watching Silvagni the most. Would defend like a madman for 3 quarters then go forward and take a huge hanger and kick a few goals.

I had a mate who would pick up every single time we went out

Wayne Carey, Ablett Snr and Greg Williams. All brilliant to watch in their own way.

Best performance goes to Kouta circa 96' against the Eagles when he marked it almost 20 times and dragged his team over the line. I've never seen a player as physically dominant as Kouta was in that game.

Most entertaining was Mark Jackson. Guy was a deadset clown.

Ablett senior.

Unfortunately i took it for granted. Some of the things he could do and make look easy were just incredible. In contests he had strength and a good leap with little run up, but what set him apart was that i don't think I've ever seen a better judge of the ball in flight.

Could use either side of the body effortlessly, a trait his son Nathan also exhibited.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the Dominator in terms of actually being able to play to win big games.
In pure talent as a player has to be Gary Ablett.
The first time I ever went to a game not involving my club simply motivated to see another player in person,it was Gary Ablett.
Lokett was not far off in that regards but was purely a full forward only.
In this era it is Cyril Rioli that is almost talented enough to drag me through the gate on his own.
When the Dominaor was gone the next big game player I loved watching in terms of winning big games it was Michael Voss. Of the two hat trick flags I seen, those clubs would not have won three in a row without Voss and Rioli. Genuine superstars of this 21st century of football.

Gary Ablett Senior.

Saw his game in the '89 Preliminary versus Essendon where he kicked 8 goals.

Commented to my mate that day that it looked like one of those junior games where the gun player single-handedly just beats up on the other team.

He literally looked a class above all other players on the ground that day.

As good as his grand final was in 89, must admit one or two finals before that were crazy good to watch.
Gary Ablett making his state of origin debut after only about a dozen games at Geelong was something special too.
That highlighted how talented he was to be an unknown and stand out in a game with many great players in it.

I wish I was young enough to see Jesaulenko in his prime too. 10 goals at Adelaide Oval v South Australia when guys like Lethal Leigh, Carman, Barrie Robran and Blight were playing. They must have thought wtf? at the time when they watched his magic. Jealous!!!

Easily Zac Dawson, when he gets close to that ball and does the golden fist, the chant starts around subiaco, daawson Daaawson DAAAWSON it is breathtaking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back