Who was the most outstanding side in the 1990's

Remove this Banner Ad

It' not that hard to read a thread title either. "Who was the best side in the 1990's" that implies for the entire decade. Which is why I seeked clarification in my question that you boldened.

LOL. You're not dankisalobster on whirlpool by any chance? You seem like as big a douchebag as him .

Again, for the slow people in the back (that's you Donakebab)

They played against each other in the same era. Ablett retired in 97. Lloyd played his first afl game in 95 as did gehrig. I don't see what their age was when ablett played his first game has to do with anything.

Yeah, franklins a freak. No arguments here.

Not sure you're in the best position to accuse anyone of being slow when you've responded to two separate quotes in the wrong thread.

For just the one season it’s surely Carlton in 95’. For the whole decade it’s North, with WCE not far behind them, although WCE from 92-94 were a scarier opponent than North were in the latter part of the decade.
Precisely

As a crows supporter I am supposed to say us.

But for the entire decade? It was pretty clearly north Melbourne. Then crows second.

Essendon and West Coast a close tie in third - did the baby bombers or whatever they called them under achieve in hindsight? I think so.

Geelong very stiff as well. 3 losing grand finals, I would have them just behind in 5th.

As for the star studded list the OP mentions I'm surprised you didn't mention ablett as a Geelong supporter. And as a crows supporter I'm glad to see jarman mentioned, classiest player I have ever seen, time stood still when he had it. Without him we dont win those premierships. But our club was built around modra. He packed that stadium every week. He was a freak and is forgotten by a lot of people.

And my all time greatest rated player overall that I would pick first in any team, plugga is missing.
How do you get Crows second? Eagles made an additional grand final, never missed the finals.

For the decade, it's out of North and West Coast, I lean towards West Coast, but that would probably be my bias. Never missed the finals, got screwed in two years by playing home finals away, had the best team on paper, imo. For the year, it's neck and neck between WC 1994 and Carlton 1995.

Wanted to write WA state of origin, but any team with Lockett, Ablett & Dunstall running around the forwardline has to get the chockies

The Blues were the most star studded team in history?

There were a fantastic team, experienced and well drilled. But most star studded?

5 AAs in that year isn't bad but they only fielded 1 Brownlow medalist and 0 Coleman medalists.

Surely Brisbane or Geelong's teams were equally star studded.

and back in history u got the legendary teams of Collingwood 1920/30s, Melbourne 1950s and Hawthorn 1980s with hall of famers on every line.
By star studded read most draft rorted team in history.

Reversing close prelim results for the decade. Who wins the decider?

1991 Hawthorn vs Geelong
1993 Adelaide vs Carlton
1994 West Coast vs North
1996 North vs Essendon
1997 Dogs vs Saints
1999 North vs Essendon
1991 Hawks without question. We just can not play them in finals { 2011 aside } Beat us in a close one by 2 points in those finals, they almost did what we did in 2008 and blow it with poor kicking. 6.13 to 5.2 at half time, sounds like a north-crows 98 type score.

1993 - interesting, because although the blues beat the crows in the finals, they did that to essendon too yet got mauled in the big one. That being said, I'd have to give it to the Melbourne based Blues because of the MCG factor. Kernahan, Bradley, Diesel and co. Might have been a bit too much. Was gonna say SOS and I may as well now because he held Mods in that final. Got destroyed in round 1 the next year where Mods booted 13, not sure how he went in the home and away. May have got towelled up then too. CBF checking. Anyway SOS is SOS, a ******* legend.

1994 - WCE easily. Beat them twice, the first time in MELB the score flattered north. Late meaningless goals. Trailed by 59 at one stage I reckon. Eagles were just supreme in 94. We didn't even get close.

1996 - Roos. Destiny. Lost to lions and swans in the home and away yet belted the living daylights out of them in the finals. Lol.

1997 - Very tough one indeed. Head says Saints, but by golly if the dogs got there. Beat them in the home and away but as above, different ball games in finals and in a one off. They did match up well though with the Sainters, ahh * it I'll give the edge to the doggies. Ferocious crowd that would have been.

1999 - north. It was their year, I know they got beat twice by what 28 and 33 points whatever it was, could have been 37, but I felt all year that the roos were going to win. I loved that team. Carey, Pickett, Abraham, Bell, Grant, Mckernan, * I get a hard on just thinking about it.

Good post I like the '' what if's ''

Last edited:
1991 Hawks without question. We just can not play them in finals { 2011 aside } Beat us in a close one by 2 points in those finals, they almost did what we did in 2008 and blow it with poor kicking. 6.13 to 5.2 at half time, sounds like a north-crows 98 type score.

1993 - interesting, because although the blues beat the crows in the finals, they did that to essendon too yet got mauled in the big one. That being said, I'd have to give it to the Melbourne based Blues because of the MCG factor. Kernahan, Bradley, Diesel and co. Might have been a bit too much. Was gonna say SOS and I may as well now because he held Mods in that final. Got destroyed in round 1 the next year where Mods booted 13, not sure how he went in the home and away. May have got towelled up then too. CBF checking. Anyway SOS is SOS, a ******* legend.

1994 - WCE easily. Beat them twice, the first time in MELB the score flattered north. Late meaningless goals. Trailed by 59 at one stage I reckon. Eagles were just supreme in 94. We didn't even get close.

1996 - Roos. Destiny. Lost to lions and swans in the home and away yet belted the living daylights out of them in the finals. Lol.

1997 - Very tough one indeed. Head says Saints, but by golly if the dogs got there. Beat them in the home and away but as above, different ball games in finals and in a one off. They did match up well though with the Sainters, ahh **** it I'll give the edge to the doggies. Ferocious crowd that would have been.

1999 - north. It was their year, I know they got beat twice by what 28 and 33 points whatever it was, could have been 37, but I felt all year that the roos were going to win. I loved that team. Carey, Pickett, Abraham, Bell, Grant, Mckernan, **** I get a hard on just thinking about it.

Good post I like the '' what if's ''
94 is of some solace knowing how dominant West Coast was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond,1995 ,with an uninjured Richo in the team,would have been very close to going all the way.

Richo killed it the following year btw.
I agree. He would have kicked 14 against us in the prelim.

I'm 25, was born just after west coast's 92 flag.

Can someone explain how west coast could have been so dominant in 94, won in 92 and from what i can see kept together most of the core of their squad and didnt continue their success into the middle to late 90s?

Different era and injuries would be my guess :)

I'm 25, was born just after west coast's 92 flag.

Can someone explain how west coast could have been so dominant in 94, won in 92 and from what i can see kept together most of the core of their squad and didnt continue their success into the middle to late 90s?

Different era and injuries would be my guess :)
Stating the obvious, it happens and has happened to a lot of teams.

Complacency and lack of hunger got them. The MCG rule may have cost them home games in a few seasons. Only in 91 and 96 you could say they were amongst the best sides however. In 96 Jackovich did his knee half way through then season vs the saints. I don't know in other years if you guys had injuries, I don't think so.

Even if eagles played home games, look at who their opponents would be and their path just to get to the Grand final then win it.

They were no where near the Calibre of opposition they would have played to get there, let alone win it.

Seems weird that West coast by the sounds of it were so far and away the best side in 94 and then Carlton were the same in 95 and west coast were no where.

Guess 12 months is a long time in footy :)

West Coast's dominance really started in 1989, by 1996 the core group was ageing and the retirements were beginning. It's not the length of their successful period that's disappointing (didn't miss the finals in the '90s), but that they didn't capitalise on the golden period with another flag. That said, they got screwed a couple of times by being forced to play finals away, teams were still adjusting to the travel factor etc.

Seems weird that West coast by the sounds of it were so far and away the best side in 94 and then Carlton were the same in 95 and west coast were no where.

Guess 12 months is a long time in footy :)
Yeah just happens doesn't it. So hard to back it up, back to back is a huge obstacle in itself, that the Hawks and lions could do it three times is remarkable.

Carlton was a top side in 94 and would have had top spot if not For losing to the already eliminated Essendon in the last round. Dons were reigning prems but missed the finals. The Blues caved in the finals though losing to 7th placed Essendon and then losing to us who were missing several key players.

WCE were phenomenal but not by far and away the best side throughout the year. Pies almost beat you from 8th spot in the first final. I think Gavin Brown kicked 5 last qtrgoals, was at least 4, and mick McGuanne dropped a mark right on the siren. Had the ball on his chest, lost by 2 points.

Overall I believe WCE were the best side, but it wasn't by the length of the Flemington straight like the Blues the Next year.

Really?

The opening line says 'in a one off season'. Then goes on to analyse the premiers year-by-year. And makes no mention of overall decade performance.

I see this on the main board all the time. 'Who is your favourite player NOT from your team?'. Then 20% of posters list their favourite player from their team. 'Who is the best inside mid under 22?' and half the answers are JPK.

It's not that hard to read an OP people.

/rant
Yeah but carlton were cheating ,they were over the salary cap. That much was proven,so i dont think they ,along with essendon 93 should be in discussions at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back