Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Who, outside the top 10 draft picks, was the steal of the 2017 draft? Its already shaping up as a great year with plenty of future stars recruited surprisingly far down the order.

(please note Tim Kelly has not been included in the poll given he's a mature age player Geelong will lose at the end of the year)

Out of those taken after pick 10, Tim Kelly wins this by the length of Flemington straight. It's completely irrelevant if he stays or leaves Geelong.

Also needs Richards in the poll if you've included names like Balta and Brander, who at this stage don't belong.

And Bailey who is best 22 in the team sitting in #1.

Outside of kelly Worpel is the best performed player from this Draft so would have to be him from the people available.
Naughton leads the competition in contested marks and plays a much more difficult position than Worpel, you'd have to say he's the best performed player other than Kelly. I love Worpel and with Stephenson there is a clear top 4 in this group but in my opinion, I value Naughton's output as a 19 year old playing his first year forward slightly higher. Could go both either way I suppose, depends what a club is looking for.

Worpel comprehensively the best steal from this draft though, no arguments.

Naughton leads the competition in contested marks and plays a much more difficult position than Worpel, you'd have to say he's the best performed player other than Kelly. I love Worpel and with Stephenson there is a clear top 4 in this group but in my opinion, I value Naughton's output as a 19 year old playing his first year forward slightly higher. Could go both either way I suppose, depends what a club is looking for.

Worpel comprehensively the best steal from this draft though, no arguments.
In a re draft he no doubt goes 1 due to being a KPP and having huge potential but I think on current output Worpel is a better overall player.

1566375928125.png

Here are the stats comparison for the season between Worpel and Kelly. Kelly is a Brownlow favourite and one of the elite mids of the comp.

Worpel is almost identical in Disposals, Clearances, contested possessions, disposal efficiency.

Worpel is already playing at an elite level for a mid where as i think Naughton is progressing brilliantly but is not quite on the level of the other elite key forwards yet (as to be expected).

In a re draft he no doubt goes 1 due to being a KPP and having huge potential but I think on current output Worpel is a better overall player.

View attachment 731642

Here are the stats comparison for the season between Worpel and Kelly. Kelly is a Brownlow favourite and one of the elite mids of the comp.

Worpel is almost identical in Disposals, Clearances, contested possessions, disposal efficiency.

Worpel is already playing at an elite level for a mid where as i think Naughton is progressing brilliantly but is not quite on the level of the other elite key forwards yet (as to be expected).
Incredibly hard to measure their output against each other due to the differences in position. In my opinion, for Naughton to lead the competition in contested marks in only his second season despite lacking in forward craft is incredible. His name would stick out even further had he nailed some of the shots that he usually should kick, but that'll hopefully come with time (he's kicked 29.20 with a fair few of his shots being closer to goal).

I respect your argument though, Worpel's numbers are extremely difficult to argue with. I do believe that Naughton is, second to the Bont, our most valuable player which is incredible as a 19 year old playing their first season forward. Argument could go either way I suppose.

Obviously, Worpel is the biggest steal from this draft by the length of the Flemington straight. Although, since a Hawthorn supporter started this thread with the sole purpose of talking about Worpel, I'mma say it's Liam Ryan ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That top 5 is looking pretty average at this point. You can see potential in all in glimpses, but I don’t think any have had any dominant games like Worpel, Kelly and Naughton have. Usually top draft picks will have a couple of massive outlier games a year while they’re developing.

IIRC most of not all the top 5 are bottom-agers, which gets spruiked as a good thing, but it’s not telling in this case.

How does that stop him from being a steal? There's no reason why he shouldn't be in the poll, and leading it.

Because he already had exposed form at senior level & was thereby less of a guess/ gamble.

Anyway, he went at 24, so Worpel at 45 has him covered comfortably, given his continued rate of progress.

Because he already had exposed form at senior level & was thereby less of a guess/ gamble.

Anyway, he went at 24, so Worpel at 45 has him covered comfortably, given his continued rate of progress.
Less of a guess/gamble but still was passed over with the first 23 picks - Geelong got him for an absolute steal.

I'd argue Kelly's performance (which is unquestionably higher than Worpel's), more than makes up for the gap in picks at which they were taken. In saying that, Worpel has plenty of potential to make up that ground in coming years.

This poll and the exclusion criteria for Kelly was clearly just designed for Worpel to win.

Back