• Pick 26 Liam Ryan

• Pick 31 Bailey Fritsch

• Pick 38 Jack Petruccelle

• Pick 45 James Worpel

• Pick 57 Gryan Miers

• Pick 76 Matt Guelfi

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

ive noticed gryan goes to ground far too easily when the heats at its hottest...RE; port adelaide when they lost

He's a first-year player so he still has a bit to learn but his ability to position himself where the ball will be going in contests in our f50 is just ridiculous. He's like an oracle to where the ball will go.

He's a first-year player so he still has a bit to learn but his ability to position himself where the ball will be going in contests in our f50 is just ridiculous. He's like an oracle to where the ball will go.

He's always had that sneaky & instinctive forward craft & ability though....He kicked 7 in the TAC CUP grand final in 2017...And almost all of them were Betts-like opportunist goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Kelly is the steal of the draft so far.
Strange that he isn't in the poll as Kelly being the steal of the draft so far doesn't take anything away from Worpel.

Tim Kelly is the steal of the draft so far.
Strange that he isn't in the poll as Kelly being the steal of the draft so far doesn't take anything away from Worpel.

Nice to see circular reasoning is back in vogue.

Fallacious reasoning aside, Kelly is probably a close second. Had he been an unknown entity & untried junior, like the rest of that list, then he might have gotten a gig.

Less of a guess/gamble but still was passed over with the first 23 picks - Geelong got him for an absolute steal.

I'd argue Kelly's performance (which is unquestionably higher than Worpel's), more than makes up for the gap in picks at which they were taken. In saying that, Worpel has plenty of potential to make up that ground in coming years.

This poll and the exclusion criteria for Kelly was clearly just designed for Worpel to win.

Have you seen who started the poll? Of course it was designed for Worpel to win. Guy hates Geelong with a fierce passion, lol.

Bogus poll aside, Top 5 'steals' for me in 2017:

1. T. Kelly (Pick 24, Runner up B+F, 2019 AA, 13 Brownlow votes in 2018 and Top 5 Brownlow likely in 2019)
2. Worpel (Pick 45, 2018 Rising Star nom, Top 3 B+F likely this year)
3. Mihocek (Best 22 in Grand Final side in his first season, 29 goals in 2018, 36 goals in 2019, taken in the rookie draft)
4. L. Baker (Best 22 in form team of 2019, 2019 Rising Star nom, taken in the Rookie draft)
5. Miers (Best 22 in minor premier side, 2019 Rising Star nom, Top 5 2019 Rising Star, 26 goals in 2019)

Nice to see circular reasoning is back in vogue.

Fallacious reasoning aside, Kelly is probably a close second. Had he been an unknown entity & untried junior, like the rest of that list, then he might have gotten a gig.
No, Kelly is the steal right now.
Kelly was AA and in contention for the brownlow (moreso the first half of the year) whilst Worpel "would have been in contention for the rising star had he played one less game".

Kelly was such a known entity that he was passed over multiple times so don't even try that arguement again becasue it has more holes than swiss cheese. Especially when you consider how closely Worpel was watched in his final junior year when many thought he would go top 5 (and probably should have based on this years performance, still early days though)

No, Kelly is the steal right now.
Kelly was AA and in contention for the brownlow (moreso the first half of the year) whilst Worpel "would have been in contention for the rising star had he played one less game".

Kelly was such a known entity that he was passed over multiple times so don't even try that arguement again becasue it has more holes than swiss cheese. Especially when you consider how closely Worpel was watched in his final junior year when many thought he would go top 5 (and probably should have based on this years performance, still early days though)

Kelly is 5 years older than The Worpedo; & is playing at the peak years of a footballers career right now.....Worpel is 20 & already a midfield gun & weapon. So 5 years extra makes Worpedo the steal & not Kelly....Who isn't even in the equation....It's not even his age bracket for crying out loud....Worpedo was also pick 45, as opposed to Kelly @ 24.....Another reason for him being the big steal.

Worpel will finish Top 5 in our B & F with ease....His numbers are also superior to Sam Walsh in every category....But as we saw with Burton/McGrath.....That doesn't seem to matter when assessing the Rising Star....LOL.

Worpel's upside is, to quote a current POTUS....'Tremendous'....He's currently projecting as the next Dusty Martin of the comp, at the same age.

Steal of the draft confirmed.

Kelly is 5 years older than The Worpedo; & is playing at the peak years of a footballers career right now.....Worpel is 20 & already a midfield gun & weapon. So 5 years extra makes Worpedo the steal & not Kelly....Who isn't even in the equation....It's not even his age bracket for crying out loud....Worpedo was also pick 45, as opposed to Kelly @ 24.....Another reason for him being the big steal.

Worpal will finish Top 5 in our B & F with ease....His numbers are also superior to Sam Walsh in every category....But as we saw with Burton/McGrath.....That doesn't seem to matter when assessing the Rising Star....LOL.

Worpel's upside is, to quote a current POTUS....'Tremendous'....He's currently projecting as the next Dusty Martin of the comp, at the same age.

Steal of the draft confirmed.
All I have said was that Kelly is the steal right now based on what we have seen.

I don't think it is a stretch to say that Kelly is far and away the best performed player from the draft, being picked at 24 makes this a steal IMO.

Being in contention for the brownlow and being AA makes him THE steal of the draft IMO.

Going with what we have seen and not what might happen in the future Kelly is the steal as it stands.

Not sure why you are bringing up the rising star Walsh given he is a pick one and has done more than anyone could ask for, I guess his 1st year performance was so good that you could argue he was a steal for pick one even which is why you are bringing him up I guess?

FYI he is also 1.5 years younger than Worpel which you must value highly.

All I have said was that Kelly is the steal right now based on what we have seen.

But he's not in the poll.....So clearly the O/P must have felt that his being a mature aged senior prior to the draft, with 5 years more experience, excludes him from an otherwise level-playing field.

But he's not in the poll.....So clearly the O/P must have felt that his being a mature aged senior prior to the draft, with 5 years more experience, excludes him from an otherwise level-playing field.
My point is he was excluded so that Worpel would win the poll as Kelly was the biggest steal of the 2017 draft.

My point is he was excluded so that Worpel would win the poll as Kelly was the biggest steal of the 2017 draft.

And it's my contention that even if Kelly were included....Then the 5 years age difference, combined with Worpel's selection being much later than Kelly's in the draft....That he'd still be leading it quite comfortably, given those criteria.

When we speak of Draft classes & years, over-age mature players don't necessarily come to mind...They're somewhat of an addendum & an anomaly.

So, for that reason, I reckon his omission is a judicious one.

From the options provided, Worpel atm clearly the best performed of the lot. I love Liam Ryan - he's a ripper. Gryan Miers has been great value though and I think Fogarty and Allen should be come A graders or very near to it. Might be a bit biased but I also think Bailey Fritsch is going to develop into an absolute weapon. He's got class written all over him. Don't know much about Guelfi or Brander.

Back