Opinion Who were the Swans top 5 Worst recruits ?

Remove this Banner Ad

the hypnotoad

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
The context of trading for Nick Daffy is completely misunderstood. We didn't want him, but Richmond insisted on including him in a trade along with their 1st Round Pick in 2001 for Greg Stafford. We then traded that 1st Round Pick and our own 1st Round Pick to St Kilda for Barry Hall.

We don't get Barry Hall if we don't take Nick Daffy and maybe we are still waiting for our first Premiership since 1933. Sometimes the context of a trade matters
yeah, that's right ... i'd forgotten all about that ...

Superstar swan

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Trading wasn’t an exact science back in the day. Drafted licuria at 24, he played 10 games over two years and pies coughed up pick 3 for him. Yea he turned into a terrific player but hadn’t shown that level to warrant pick 3

Luckily we used pick 3 and 4 that year to draft fosdike and fitzy

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Trading wasn’t an exact science back in the day. Drafted licuria at 24, he played 10 games over two years and pies coughed up pick 3 for him. Yea he turned into a terrific player but hadn’t shown that level to warrant pick 3

Luckily we used pick 3 and 4 that year to draft fosdike and fitzy
We don't win 2005 without Nic Fosdike.

Grand Uncle Horace

Hall of Famer
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney
Oof just remembered we recruited a damned legend who never ran out for us.

In the Edelston era we bought in Maurice Rioli. The VFL would not let us play the maestro. IIRC Maurice sat in the stands, at least for home games and was paid.

Imagine a centre combo of Rioli, Williams and Healy?

alex4445

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2006
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
I may be the only one but I hate the constant and almost universal bashing of Tippett on this board.

He was bloody good for us, he was a good target up forward and up until his injury he was looking like he may be All-Australian as a forward/ruck. People only think about his performances after his injury and that is really not fair to him.
For me the problem was picking Tippett when he was injured. His mobility IMO was really very marginal, at full fitness he was really effective when forward or in the ruck. When he had a knee or ankle injury, or any other leg injury, his mobility dropped below the level required for him to be effective but he was picked anyway(something that happened way too often).

The reality is some players can play through injuries and not lose much of their effectiveness, but some players just cant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad