Opinion Who were the Swans top 5 Worst recruits ?

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
No other team, no other sport
A bit of off season fun. i think we’ve become pretty good at recruiting of late but I also recall a time we were very ordinary. I will give it a go in no particular order:

Tippett
Rocca
Talia
Bomford
Ryan O’Connor

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
A bit of off season fun. i think we’ve become pretty good at recruiting of late but I also recall a time we were very ordinary. I will give it a go in no particular order:

Tippett
Rocca
Talia
Bomford
Ryan O’Connor
You need to set some parameters. What range of draft picks - first round only??
Any trade??

Anyone who puts Tippett on their list of worst trades, but not carey/longmire, you can safely ignore their opinion about anything swans.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk

Neville Fields was easily the worst trade in because of what it cost us. I was furious at the time because I thought Terry Daniher looked great as a young CHF.

The Brereton recruitment was just a joke.

Tippett was stiff with injury but never seemed to buy into the Club - more interested in his bank balance.

Drafting Grant, Gaspar and Rocca

Neville Fields was easily the worst trade in because of what it cost us. I was furious at the time because I thought Terry Daniher looked great as a young CHF.

The Brereton recruitment was just a joke.

Tippett was stiff with injury but never seemed to buy into the Club - more interested in his bank balance.

Drafting Grant, Gaspar and Rocca

Nick Daffy recruit was an abysmal failure

1 game for 2 possessions IIRC

Nick Daffy recruit was an abysmal failure

1 game for 2 possessions IIRC

Yep. He was cooked. He was a bloody decent player but was gone when we got him.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure how to judge in terms of what the recruit cost or how useless they were on field so have included a spread.

Phil Krakour
Dermott Brereton
Sam Gray
Nick Daffy
Neville Fields

but I sure I'll think of more

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Not sure how to judge in terms of what the recruit cost or how useless they were on field so have included a spread.

Phil Krakour
Dermott Brereton
Sam Gray
Nick Daffy
Neville Fields

but I sure I'll think of more
On one hand you told us that the list had to be recruits and not trades yet you then put Fields in your list of 5 who was a trade. ???

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I may be the only one but I hate the constant and almost universal bashing of Tippett on this board.

He was bloody good for us, he was a good target up forward and up until his injury he was looking like he may be All-Australian as a forward/ruck. People only think about his performances after his injury and that is really not fair to him.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Didn't we pick up a cooked Tingay as well? Bradshaw wasn't a great idea either....

yep, tingay and scott russell
daniel menzel
nick daffy
and brereton, of course

bradshaw could've been ok, didn't he start well then get badly injured and that was it?

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
No other team, no other sport
yep, tingay and scott russell
daniel menzel
nick daffy
and brereton, of course

bradshaw could've been ok, didn't he start well then get badly injured and that was it?
I was there when he kicked a 60m torp from the boundary on three quarter time, one of the best kicks I’ve seen.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
On one hand you told us that the list had to be recruits and not trades yet you then put Fields in your list of 5 who was a trade. ???
well actually I'm not the original poster, they said 5 worst recruits. All players who come to us are a recruit, whether through a draft, trade or in the old days a transfer fee.

I was replying to someone who quoted Carey and Longmire in comparison to Tippet, Tippet was a recruit both Carey and Longmire were traded out. (although from memory this isn't quite true, we sold the rights to recruit them both don't think they were ever offically on our list)

Fields was a recruit hence why I included him.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
The context of trading for Nick Daffy is completely misunderstood. We didn't want him, but Richmond insisted on including him in a trade along with their 1st Round Pick in 2001 for Greg Stafford. We then traded that 1st Round Pick and our own 1st Round Pick to St Kilda for Barry Hall.

We don't get Barry Hall if we don't take Nick Daffy and maybe we are still waiting for our first Premiership since 1933. Sometimes the context of a trade matters

Choogler

Senior List
Nov 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The context of trading for Nick Daffy is completely misunderstood. We didn't want him, but Richmond insisted on including him in a trade along with their 1st Round Pick in 2001 for Greg Stafford. We then traded that 1st Round Pick and our own 1st Round Pick to St Kilda for Barry Hall.

We don't get Barry Hall if we don't take Nick Daffy and maybe we are still waiting for our first Premiership since 1933. Sometimes the context of a trade matters
Hard to argue with such well thought out logic!

Back