Opinion Who were the Swans top 5 Worst recruits ?

Remove this Banner Ad

The context of trading for Nick Daffy is completely misunderstood. We didn't want him, but Richmond insisted on including him in a trade along with their 1st Round Pick in 2001 for Greg Stafford. We then traded that 1st Round Pick and our own 1st Round Pick to St Kilda for Barry Hall.

We don't get Barry Hall if we don't take Nick Daffy and maybe we are still waiting for our first Premiership since 1933. Sometimes the context of a trade matters

yeah, that's right ... i'd forgotten all about that ...

Trading wasn’t an exact science back in the day. Drafted licuria at 24, he played 10 games over two years and pies coughed up pick 3 for him. Yea he turned into a terrific player but hadn’t shown that level to warrant pick 3

Luckily we used pick 3 and 4 that year to draft fosdike and fitzy

Trading wasn’t an exact science back in the day. Drafted licuria at 24, he played 10 games over two years and pies coughed up pick 3 for him. Yea he turned into a terrific player but hadn’t shown that level to warrant pick 3

Luckily we used pick 3 and 4 that year to draft fosdike and fitzy
We don't win 2005 without Nic Fosdike.

Oof just remembered we recruited a damned legend who never ran out for us.

In the Edelston era we bought in Maurice Rioli. The VFL would not let us play the maestro. IIRC Maurice sat in the stands, at least for home games and was paid.

Imagine a centre combo of Rioli, Williams and Healy?

I may be the only one but I hate the constant and almost universal bashing of Tippett on this board.

He was bloody good for us, he was a good target up forward and up until his injury he was looking like he may be All-Australian as a forward/ruck. People only think about his performances after his injury and that is really not fair to him.

For me the problem was picking Tippett when he was injured. His mobility IMO was really very marginal, at full fitness he was really effective when forward or in the ruck. When he had a knee or ankle injury, or any other leg injury, his mobility dropped below the level required for him to be effective but he was picked anyway(something that happened way too often).

The reality is some players can play through injuries and not lose much of their effectiveness, but some players just cant.

Worst draftees: Ryan Fitzgerald, Elijah Taylor
Worst trade-ins: Spider Everitt, Dermott Brereton

Discussion over.

Oof just remembered we recruited a damned legend who never ran out for us.

In the Edelston era we bought in Maurice Rioli. The VFL would not let us play the maestro. IIRC Maurice sat in the stands, at least for home games and was paid.

Imagine a centre combo of Rioli, Williams and Healy?

Well he was blocked due to salary cap.

Says more about Edelston than the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Spida was so terrible was he?

Or are you saying it judged on what we had to give up to get him?

Everitt wasn't terrible for us at all.

My issue was the trade was a year too late, if he was with us in 2006 we are comfortable back to back premiers.

Draftee - Vezpremi
Trade - Daffy / Tingay / Tippett
On reflection (and off topic) we had some pretty bloody good trades back in the day though (Dale Lewis, Lockett, Hall, Roos, Kickett, Bayes, Williams, Healy, Maxfield, Kennedy, Jolly, C Bolton, R Shaw and of course BUDDY
Just to refresh my memory where did we trade dale lewis from? He was a bloody good player at his peak.

Was unaware of this. So a player was sanctioned for indiscretions of the club??? Is that even legal????........I think not.

No just we announced we were signing him and then it was blocked as we were going to go over on the cap.

Worst draftees: Ryan Fitzgerald, Elijah Taylor
Worst trade-ins: Spider Everitt, Dermott Brereton

Discussion over.

Not even close

I was there on his debut, a lazy 5 goals from memory alongside Plugger
Injury cruelled his career

You could name dozens of draftees that never even got a game as the worst before sticking it to Ryan

Draftee - Vezpremi
Trade - Daffy / Tingay / Tippett
On reflection (and off topic) we had some pretty bloody good trades back in the day though (Dale Lewis, Lockett, Hall, Roos, Kickett, Bayes, Williams, Healy, Maxfield, Kennedy, Jolly, C Bolton, R Shaw and of course BUDDY

Lewis and Bayes were life Bloods.

Interesting that when I went to research this, I couldn't find any records of Under 19s. I wonder if they've been kept.

In any event, I'm pretty sure Bayes came up through the Under 19s and Reserves having been recruited from Noble Park who were in our zone at the time (like the Morwoods).

Last edited:
Everitt wasn't terrible for us at all.

My issue was the trade was a year too late, if he was with us in 2006 we are comfortable back to back premiers.

IIRC we tried to trade for Everitt after the 2005 season, but Hawthorn held him against his will.

12 months later Jolly totally no showed in the grand final and cost us a flag.

IIRC we tried to trade for Everitt after the 2005 season, but Hawthorn held him against his will.

12 months later Jolly totally no showed in the grand final and cost us a flag.

Correct, we tried to trade in Everitt but Hawthorn demanded a first round selection for him (which we traded to Essendon for Ted Richards) (and I believe may of turned out to be Courtney Dempsey).

Jolly's wife had her child on the morning of the grand final, which I believe gives him a valid excuse for his no show, I just wish the club hadn't played him and backed in Doyle all day (Doyle performed better than Jolly on the day).

Correct, we tried to trade in Everitt but Hawthorn demanded a first round selection for him (which we traded to Essendon for Ted Richards) (and I believe may of turned out to be Courtney Dempsey).

Jolly's wife had her child on the morning of the grand final, which I believe gives him a valid excuse for his no show, I just wish the club hadn't played him and backed in Doyle all day (Doyle performed better than Jolly on the day).
Didn't Jolly break his thumb or some other digit during training in the days leading up to it also?

I don't think Spida was so terrible was he?

Or are you saying it judged on what we had to give up to get him?
If we got Spida a year earlier when we wanted him he could well be in the opposite list.

*** oops.. I see this is covered***

Remove this Banner Ad

Back