State of Origin Who will be 1, 6, 7,9 for NSW this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how the retirement comp keeps winning the WCC huh ;)

There's 7 or 8 decent teams in the ESL now, the other 6 or 7 are rubbish but can put in a good performance every couple of weeks.

I'd say there would be at least 8 maybe 9 teams in the ESL that would beat the eels atm. So they are not as rubbish as you like to spread about.

(no, you're not a troll at all lol)

The reason is that the WCC is played in the wrong time of the year. It should be play in October like it used to.

The reason the English win most of the times is because they have had up to 3 competitive English Super League game before the WCC. We have it as a Trail led up....really.

Saints v Wigan in the Challenge Cup on Saturday. it'll be live on the BBC and I'm really looking forward to it.

CT's judgment on the ESl is spot-on, I'd say, although I'd probably cut his '7 or 8' down to six: Wigan, Warrington, Leeds, Saints, Catalans, Hudd.

Funny how the retirement comp keeps winning the WCC huh ;)

You are whipping out the pre season trial on the other side of the world as your example?

lol :thumbsu:

& yes, the geriatrics & reserve graders would likely spankify the heartless, cowardly club propping up the foot of the ladder at present. No argument there.

-------------

Can the ESL posts please be moved to the ESL thread?

Don't disagree with any of that. Just wonder if we need to give some of our young props one more year rather than throwing them at the Maroon pack before they are ready?
They're not my young props. I am a Queenslander!

But on the youth question, I agree that you can't go with greenhorns. I'd be going with Mick Weyman in the side. I'm not saying that he's a superstar but he's tough, he'll take the Qld pack on and I don't reckon he was given a decent crack at Origin last time.

Oh I know that mate (u being qld'er)

The question I ask myself is who I want to see take the first hit up in Melbourne. At this point, it's Gal.

Weyman would be a stop gap but nothing more. There is a heap depth coming, whether it's ready this year or not? I dunno

tariq sims and james tamou have gotta be a part of the forward pack.... i'd be starting tamou for sure. sims off the bench....

i wouldn't say no to one of TLL or Aaron Woods... I'm not 100% sure on TLL's fitness status.

I know there is a lot to like with the likes of Glenn Stewart, Luke Lewis, Anthony Watmough and Greg Bird but as a group they've struggled to make an impact on the origin field, but they are still probably the best we've got going off what they do on the club field...

gallen is a must pick obviously, but the rest of the forward pack could go either way really. tony williams is another certain pick but probably not for origin I given he is coming back from suspension...

we'll be doing very well to win this year, but there is some good quality coming through finally.

farah will get the hooker role you'd think. gotta step up.

You could go with all the guys i've mentioned but there is a real lack of props... Tamou obviously, and Woods, TLL and Gallen all play or can play prop, but i think Gallen is best used in the back row and is obviously a certain selection, while Woods is very much an unknown quantity, and TLL still has question marks...

For mine;

8 - Tamou
9 - Farah
10 - TLL/Woods/Mannah
11 - Watmough/Stewart
12 - Gallen
13 - Lewis

14 - TLL/Woods/Mannah
15 - Watmough/Stewart
16 - Sims
17 - Bird

There's been talk of Hinchcliffe, Buhrer or Reynolds as a utlity bench role and it wouldn't be the worst option in the world... but i think just going with four forwards, and you can use luke lewis in a backline role if need be....

buhrer and reynolds still have plenty of time, but neither would be the worst option, for mine most probably at the expense of bird (??) if it happens... maybe... there's not really a whole lot between our second best back rower, and our weakest of those mentioned... or do you move gallen into the front row, which garuantees bird a spot regardless, and pushes one of the props out...

also remember tony williams is likely to come back for origin 2 for someone too....

Which Reynolds are you talking about there? Bulldogs Reynolds?

I'd rather have Weyman than TLL. As mt said upthread, they're bound to go with Gallen at prop, even though most of us seem to agree we'd rather see him in the back row.

bulldogs reynolds. goes good. don't know if he's origin ready though.... don't rate weyman that highly. at least not at original level - every time he has played he looks like an old man.... keith galloway is another one who has a chance of playing.

what do peoples chances of chris lawrence getting a run?? i haven't seen much of the tiger's this year but he is a quality player, but just the one try this year, though that is not always a true indication of someone's performances.... i was just suprised that he in the SMH today five guys gave their origin team and he didn't get a run in one of them...

he would have to hold the modern day record of most test matches before SOO debut, with six now....

Bulldogs Reynolds looks a class act. Where did he spring from? I mean, he's not a kid, is he? So not a Toyota Cup graduate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs Reynolds looks a class act. Where did he spring from? I mean, he's not a kid, is he? So not a Toyota Cup graduate?

He played NYC a few years ago and last year was in reserve grade. He is a Bulldogs junior and is only 23 years old.

ben creagh....

Double-facepalm.jpg

the only hope now is that i've treadrea'd him.....

to Tredrea Someone: after tredrea went goalless through the first two rounds of 2009 me and my best mate s**t bagged him out as a complete has been and over the hill... he comes out with consecutive six goal games, then seven a month or so later and ends up with 50 for the season.... from now on whenever we bag the s**t out of someone and they come good... "we tredrea'd him..."

Ben Creagh has got to be an attempt to keep some experience in the side. I wonder if he would have been selected if Watmough was considered fit.

I like Buehrer as a footballer but I'm not convinced that he is necessary in this NSW side. It is full of 80 minute footballers plus has some flexibility with Lewis, Bird, Gallen, Hayne all capable of playing multiple positions.

Jennings is a WTF for me. He and Carney leading the "bonding session" could be interesting....

I think Stuart has gone back to the well with what kinda worked last year. But it seems to me that it is unlikely that lightning will strike twice. IMO, the best go forward team wins SOO matches and Stuart's team is big on mobility and footwork but will have its work cut out making yards against Scott, Petero, Hannant and Shillington.

NSW, That what you get when you have another mini Phil Gould on your hand as coach.

NSW for the past 10 odd years have played Loyalty over form and it is happening agian.

7 in a row for QLD in my opinion

Ben Creagh has got to be an attempt to keep some experience in the side. I wonder if he would have been selected if Watmough was considered fit.

I like Buehrer as a footballer but I'm not convinced that he is necessary in this NSW side. It is full of 80 minute footballers plus has some flexibility with Lewis, Bird, Gallen, Hayne all capable of playing multiple positions.

Jennings is a WTF for me. He and Carney leading the "bonding session" could be interesting....

I think Stuart has gone back to the well with what kinda worked last year. But it seems to me that it is unlikely that lightning will strike twice. IMO, the best go forward team wins SOO matches and Stuart's team is big on mobility and footwork but will have its work cut out making yards against Scott, Petero, Hannant and Shillington.

Agree with most of that. Jennings seems to be one of those to me (see also Hayne, Dugan...) who *never* seems to be fully fit. Is Chris Lawrence injured? Surely he's above Jennings in the pecking order these days? As mentioned upthread, Bulldog Reynolds wouldn't have been a bad shout for the utility role.

Also, on Pearce, I haven't been his greatest fan, but I have to admit that (unlike many in the squad) he is at least on form. He was very good against the Warriors this round.

Also, on Pearce, I haven't been his greatest fan, but I have to admit that (unlike many in the squad) he is at least on form. He was very good against the Warriors this round.
I actually don't mind the NSW 1, 6, 7, 9 combo. The Qld players in the same positions are obviously ahead but I think that NSW have struck on a decent mix. It will be interesting to see if they stick with it for 3 games (assuming they lose one or more of the first two). You've got 3 kickers which is an advantage Qld has generally has had over NSW in the past. Pearce and Carney obviously have a combination. Both can play direct but also have the longer passing game - these two factors will help NSW in the back end of the halves as the Queensland forwards get tired.

As I keep banging on about though, no half can perform behind a badly beaten pack. But it will be very interesting to see what would happen if NSW can secure an even share of possession and field position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back