Ben King or Max King ?.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Both are looking like the most impressive set of twins to play VFL/AFL Footy in a long time.

Max really made life hard for my Blues last night, he really looked so impressive to me, esp missing last season through injury.

Ben has also looked like a legit weapon for The Suns..

Ben has more credit in the bank right now, but honestly, long term, I feel like Max will be the (slightly) better player.

You would love either any at your club though.

There's not a heap of discernible differences between them, so depends on club development and the luck with injury.

Both going to be colossal in size when they fill out, enormous reach and virtually impossible to stop overhead, good athletes for their size, both could probably play key post forward or back and even maybe in the ruck.

Flip a coin, both could be stars.

As an under 18 watcher, I always thought Max was superior and could end up #1 but at this point in time, I’m favouring Ben. Of course Ben didn’t rupture his ACL so he’s had a lot more time and prep to hurt games, but I reckon his speed and leading patterns will make him a more dangerous forward. Furthermore, he was a star defender before he got drafted and I reckon he could dominate back there too.

Both look like they could be anything.

We’ve seen more of Ben than Max so it’s not a completely fair comparison but there are small signs of differences so far.

Ben has looked really good hitting up and showing good leading patterns.

Max looks like he is going to be a real contested marking weapon. Has taken seven in his first five games and has gotten into the right position to take many more. He’ll clunk more the more he plays.

That could be a reflection of the different ball movement from the teams though.

Way too early to tell who will be better. So many unpredictable elements. Excited to watch both develop.

These guys are seriously the same player, almost an identical style and attributes. So much so that I dont think you could play them both structurally well in the same forward line as I reckon the forward balance wouldn't be right. Whoever ends up the better player will depend on who gets luckier with injuries and the players around them. There's basically nothing in it talent or attribute wise.

These guys are seriously the same player, almost an identical style and attributes. So much so that I dont think you could play them both structurally well in the same forward line as I reckon the forward balance wouldn't be right. Whoever ends up the better player will depend on who gets luckier with injuries and the players around them. There's basically nothing in it talent or attribute wise.

Think Max is the better contested mark at the moment. Doesn't take them all but seems to get to the drop more, matter of time before he starts clunking a heap of them. Think Ben uses his speed on the lead and over the back more than taking the contested marks.

Is Ben as good at ground level/below his knees and as creative and so-on with his handballs etc?

I haven't really seen a lot of him, but it's ridiculous some of the stuff Max does at ground level, with picking up crumbs, blind turns/pirouettes, etc.

They said a week or so ago that Max was no.1 for the season at St Kilda for ground ball gets inside the forward 50, which is pretty incredible when you consider the fact we have the likes of Butler, Kent, Hind, Lonie etc in there with him.

He said a day or so ago that he actually played midfield in the juniors until a late growth spurt, and it really shows. At times he looks like a 203cm mid.

As a forward, Max has the better values. He plays in front, launches at the ball and makes defenders' jobs harder. Ben is a bit more hesitant to take front spot, and drops his head a little when he does. He'd prefer to get on the lead or jump from behind. Playing from behind can see you shut out of the contest, whereas playing in front gives you first chance to mark it, gives your mids something to aim at and small forwards something to crumb to. I'd take Max, but wouldn't turn my nose up at Ben.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben still has a lot of those defender mannerisms and keeps the game really simple. Straight-lines the ball better than Max, and I think his leading patterns inside 50 are slightly better currently. Max can seemingly come from nowhere to take a mark though. His ground level skills are better too.

Hard to go past Max, but I could see Ben being as good with some more development on his all-round game. Max to me will always be the more natural and instinctive footballer.

I just cannot believe these guys were taken 4 and 6 in the draft.

200cm, athletic, agile, can mark, can kick, good heads on the shoulders.

I havent seen much of Ben, but Max has a good play sense too and is versatile in his attributes.

Players like these guys don't come around often!

I just cannot believe these guys were taken 4 and 6 in the draft.

200cm, athletic, agile, can mark, can kick, good heads on the shoulders.

I havent seen much of Ben, but Max has a good play sense too and is versatile in his attributes.

Players like these guys don't come around often!

Bloody good draft this year, very comfortable with is taking Walsh with pick 1 that year.

Funny how Max was considered by many not to be as good/promising as Ben at the time (possibly due to going into the draft with an ACL) but his first real season in the big was ultra impressive.

Has to be said, Max does probably get a lot better tthan what Ben gets at the Suns

Bloody good draft this year, very comfortable with is taking Walsh with pick 1 that year.

Funny how Max was considered by many not to be as good/promising as Ben at the time (possibly due to going into the draft with an ACL) but his first real season in the big was ultra impressive.

Has to be said, Max does probably get a lot better tthan what Ben gets at the Suns
Tbh I don't follow the draft that closely and yeah, Rozee Rankine Walsh Smith etc, seems a good draft

I just look at the players St Kilda has drafted eg Mccartin 1, Billings 3, Clark 7, Coffield 8, even go back to Goddard 1, Ball 2. After 1 year on field, I see King as a better prospect than I saw any of those guys at the time

the st kilda one seems to be a better contested mark. that will take him a long way.

i have to say i like the look of the gold coast one better though. he looks like a one of a kind athlete. hes significantly quicker and more agile than the st kilda one in my opinion. ive seen him go on blistering multiple bounce runs reminiscent of peak buddy franklin but he looked even faster. ive seen him clean grab ground balls and explode out of congestion. unreal for his size.

im assuming the gold coast one is the one who didnt do his knee. maybe the st kilda one can get back to that sort of athleticism.

Too early to tell, Ben has a body of work having played 2 seasons and you can see the potential. Max has only one season so far.

Both are in improving sides where they should get more opportunities up forward to show their wares.

I suspect both clubs will be very happy with their acquisitions.

I very much doubt StKilda's goal of uniting them at StKilda will ever happen.

Gold Coast is actually finally slotting together a team to be respected and should see them make finals in the next couple of years.

Ben King to StKilda, 'Tell em they're dreaming'

Back