Who will be better in 2023 Richmond or Brisbane?

Who will be better in 2023

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Who do you believe will be the better team in 2023?? Both played a nail biting cutthroat final against one another in 2022, both had a huge recruitment boom over the offseason with Brisbane gaining dunkley gunston and running off like bandits with the no1 pick and pick 12.

Richmond on the other hand gained two good mids in Taranto and hopper who are sure to bolster them.

So who goes further in 2023 in your opinion??

It's an interesting one.

My view is that the Lions have recruited brilliantly but looking at their 2021 statistical performance they needed to address:
  • Rebound 50s
  • Points against and goal assists against
  • Tackles

Dunkley helps the last one and they'd be hoping that development in blokes like Coleman address the rebound 50 issue.

I still think their defence is their weak point and they'd want Andrews to come back into form as he looked seriously hampered at points this last year.

Richmond's statistical issues are clearly clearances and to some extent tackles. When you dig a bit more into the stats there is an acute over reliance on Prestia in that area with him leading a fair few indicators while playing fewer games than other Richmond players. Hopper and Taranto will help significantly in respect of that particular area of the ground.

I've got no real idea on how much Ashcroft or Fletcher will contribute in their first few seasons, or where they'll end up playing, but they look like they'll be big players for the Lions into the future.

My view is probably that Richmond have done more to address their weaknesses while the Lions have really improved areas that were already strong. What does that mean for who will be better? I'd say both will likely be top 4 teams and a Grand Final, Prelim or Qualifying final should answer the question.

A lot will depend on how those father sons the Lions picked up go, both teams should be pushing for top 4 after that its always a bit of a raffle.
Ashcroft probably comes in day 1 and has a huge impact. Dunkley will have a huge impact. Gunston still averaging 2 goals a game.. huge additions to the side. I think it’s more if fagan is tactically good enough to take the team further.

It's an interesting one.

My view is that the Lions have recruited brilliantly but looking at their 2021 statistical performance they needed to address:
  • Rebound 50s
  • Points against and goal assists against
  • Tackles

Dunkley helps the last one and they'd be hoping that development in blokes like Coleman address the rebound 50 issue.

I still think their defence is their weak point and they'd want Andrews to come back into form as he looked seriously hampered at points this last year.

Richmond's statistical issues are clearly clearances and to some extent tackles. When you dig a bit more into the stats there is an acute over reliance on Prestia in that area with him leading a fair few indicators while playing fewer games than other Richmond players. Hopper and Taranto will help significantly in respect of that particular area of the ground.

I've got no real idea on how much Ashcroft or Fletcher will contribute in their first few seasons, or where they'll end up playing, but they look like they'll be big players for the Lions into the future.

My view is probably that Richmond have done more to address their weaknesses while the Lions have really improved areas that were already strong. What does that mean for who will be better? I'd say both will likely be top 4 teams and a Grand Final, Prelim or Qualifying final should answer the question.

I reckon the major midfield weakness for Brisbane are an overraliance on Neale, being a mid range at best clearance side and the defensive running.

On the clearance point, looking at raw numbers is misleading because we generally play games with a high number of clearances, so even though we're 2nd for total clearances/game, we're 10th for clearance differential.

Dunkley is basically the stereotype of the type of midfielder we needed and helps with our major midfield weaknesses.

The development of Coleman and Wilmot (who if he was born 12 hours later would've been in the draft we just had) as well as McKenna coming in should help the rebound 50 issue. I do think part of this is game plan related though, as we haven't seen our game plan encourage running with the ball off half back.

I think part of our defensive struggles has in part due to having midfielders that occasionally allow easy clearances and don't run hard enough defensively. If you compare the two sides though, Richmond and Brisbane conceeded the essentially the same amount of points this year, so I think both sides have similar struggles.

I'm personally bullish on how Ashcroft will go this season. Played three games of VFL this year and average 29 disposals, 7 tackles, 6 inside 50s and 5 clearances. I reckon if we could, he was performing well enough at VFL to be elevated to the senior team.

I can't understand why Brisbane aren't about $4 favourites for the premiership. Top 4 the past 4 years and add a club best & fairest, monty for the Rising Star and a mid sized forward likely to kick about 40 goals.

Conversely, Richmond are way overhyped and will struggle to make the 8. Yesterday's heroes, who took advantage of the weakest era in the history of the AFL (credit to them for doing so) are done.

Envious of Brisbanes recruiting over the off season. We did ok bolstering our midfield as well.

Think both teams will improve on their 22 showing.
Yeah I’m envious of both teams’ off-season recruiting. Both have some huge ins and agree both should improve in 2023.

For mine, Richmond are better coached so they get the slight nod. Would love to see Fagan try something different (particularly in finals) but I won’t pretend I have any sort of tactical footy nous to suggest what that something different might be.

I can't understand why Brisbane aren't about $4 favourites for the premiership. Top 4 the past 4 years and add a club best & fairest, monty for the Rising Star and a mid sized forward likely to kick about 40 goals.

Conversely, Richmond are way overhyped and will struggle to make the 8. Yesterday's heroes, who took advantage of the weakest era in the history of the AFL (credit to them for doing so) are done.

Cmon mate I thought Sportsbet was ur bible 🤣. Now you are changing your tune and everybody else is wrong? I think you’ve just shown everybody on BF just how full of you are.

6e283a5bc2f53b31911980bd3f59a37b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston should do what gunston do and kick 40 goals. Ashcroft will be ready made 20 possession mid. Dunkley is an A grade mid… how will Brisbane not be top four and pushing for a flag with that amount of talent? It’s all on fagans tactical capacity which I think is questionable against the big guns in Scott hardwick and I will throw McRae into that mix who I highly regard.

I personally think Taranto and Hopper are somewhat overrated so while I think both will help Richmond they won't elevate Richmond as much as many think. Still expect Richmond to be in the premiership conversation all year but I do think Brisbane have a better chance of winning it, especially with Brisbane's ins of Dunkley and Gunston.

Brisbane have fallen well short business end finals
I agree on most seasons.

2018: 5 wins and bottom 4. Should of got 7-9 wins and become a gradually improving side.

2019: still surprised they got top 2. Should of got 4th or 5th or 6th. Out in straight sets. Both teams they lose to had much more finals experience.

2020 : despite lack of finals experience. This was their best chance. If that 2020 squad had as much experience as the Brisbane 1999-2004 Side, they would of won it.

2021. Got 4th and in my brutally honest opinion should of got 5th and belted 8th placed Essendon. Got out in straight sets again.

Which my similar view on the dockers 2022 season. Glad Freo got 5th and beat the dogs in the Elim final. It was better than getting 4th and got out in straight sets and cop it all over social media.

2022. Made up for 2021. Got 5th to 8th. Beat Richmond in an Elim final at home then demons at MCG in the semi final. Lost to your mob the cats in the prelim final.

Lions haven’t addressed by far their biggest weakness in finals which is their inability to defend. Their backline and team defence is pretty poor…. and not sure they have the defensive manpower to improve to be a flag threat.

Richmond’s defence has also been poor across 2021-22. But they have the depth of quality defenders to improve that area of the ground, and their midfield pressure will improve greatly also.

So not sure who will finish higher, but I am sure Lions can’t win the flag with the defensive stocks they’ve got … unless they have at least 2 x defenders on top of Andrews and Starcevich have breakout seasons. Like Tigers did with Grimes and Astbury in 2017.

Lions haven’t addressed by far their biggest weakness in finals which is their inability to defend. Their backline and team defence is pretty poor…. and not sure they have the defensive manpower to improve to be a flag threat.

Richmond’s defence has also been poor across 2021-22. But they have the depth of quality defenders to improve that area of the ground, and their midfield pressure will improve greatly also.

So not sure who will finish higher, but I am sure Lions can’t win the flag with the defensive stocks they’ve got … unless they have at least 2 x defenders on top of Andrews and Starcevich have breakout seasons. Like Tigers did with Grimes and Astbury in 2017.

Both teams are definitely better when they're attacking rather than defending though I'm not convinced Richmond have much more quality defender depth than Brisbane have. Similarly, both sides should improve in terms of midfield pressure with Hopper and Dunkley coming into their respective midfields.

I do think both sides will find it very hard to win a flag unless they significantly improve their defensive performances; who's more capable of that, I'm not sure.

Back