Who will be better in 2023 Richmond or Brisbane?

Who will be better in 2023

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I enjoy the 'weakest era' debates, because they're pretty easy to quantify.

Brisbane 2001 to 2003:
  • Beat an Essendon team in 2001 who finished top of the ladder, backing up from a 24 and 1 season in 2000. If that's not strong opposition, I don't know what is?
  • I acknowledge the Collingwood 2002/03 teams weren't the strongest, and definitely a fair way short of the 2010/11 model. However, they did make back to back Grand Finals, so that says something.
  • Port Adelaide finished top at the end of the home and away season in 3 consecutive seasons - 2002/03/04. Winning the flag in 2004, they were a quality team.
  • Sydney were also building, playing Preliminary Finals during Brisbane's 3peat before playing in back to back Grand Finals in 2005/06, winning one. They were also a quality team on the up.

There is a strong argument this is possibly the 2nd strongest era behind Geelong 2007-11, and certainly miles ahead of Richmond 2017-20 when we look at the multitude of opponents that came and went during that time.

It’s a joke relax mate. You’re already starting to write a novel on it. Nobody cares.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Brisbane 2001 to 2003:
  • Beat an Essendon team in 2001 who finished top of the ladder, backing up from a 24 and 1 season in 2000. If that's not strong opposition, I don't know what is?
  • I acknowledge the Collingwood 2002/03 teams weren't the strongest, and definitely a fair way short of the 2010/11 model. However, they did make back to back Grand Finals, so that says something.
  • Port Adelaide finished top at the end of the home and away season in 3 consecutive seasons - 2002/03/04. Winning the flag in 2004, they were a quality team.
  • Sydney were also building, playing Preliminary Finals during Brisbane's 3peat before playing in back to back Grand Finals in 2005/06, winning one. They were also a quality team on the up.

There is a strong argument this is possibly the 2nd strongest era behind Geelong 2007-11, and certainly miles ahead of Richmond 2017-20 when we look at the multitude of opponents that came and went during that time.

I get where you’re coming from Fadge, but for me it’s just a bit convoluted, bringing in form lines from adjacent seasons etc.

Maybe it’s just that I’m too lazy to really wrap my head around it all.

Butcher Hicks

Debutant
Dec 9, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond

Brisbane 2001 to 2003:
Even Essendon were mocking them for their IV use lol! They don't win without the IV.
Collingwood was dogshit a 9 loss season says something, and when you had the 7 loss season they smashed you by more at the MCG, notice no one was talking about the MCG being an advantage to Melbourne teams then, that says something lol! Weakest era easily in my opinion.

Butcher Hicks

Debutant
Dec 9, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah it wasn’t a joke but now you Tigers supporters are being made to look silly you want to make out your joking.
I'm not joking, and I don't understand how I can possibly look silly for bringing up facts about IV use and changerooms looking like "hospital wards," and Collingwood being a pathetic opponent in 2 GF's.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
How do you know Butcher Hicks is joking, unless....

And sorry, I understand you struggle to deal with quantitative analysis using logic and rationale, but some of us enjoy it.

If you could stop insulting me and my job by using those words I’d appreciate it thanks mate. It’s just footy. Otherwise I’m talking to the mods because this has been going on for months. Last warning.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah it wasn’t a joke but now you Tigers supporters are being made to look silly you want to make out your joking.

Not me. I honestly don’t care. The record books won’t have weak era written anywhere.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not joking, and I don't understand how I can possibly look silly for bringing up facts about IV use and changerooms looking like "hospital wards," and Collingwood being a pathetic opponent in 2 GF's.
The fact you don’t understand is not exactly shocking. Anyway I will let you get back to your trolling.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Can we expect you’ll lay off the personal stuff too?

I have. But when you get attacked by this guy it’s hard. He’s too personal, he’s even had a go at where I live, my age and my financial situation. Can’t help fighting back.

I know he backs you in debates and everything. But he is not a nice person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I have. But when you get attacked by this guy it’s hard. He’s too personal, he’s even had a go at where I live, my age and my financial situation. Can’t help fighting back.

I know he backs you in debates and everything. But he is not a nice person.

To be fair, you’ve brought a lot of those things up yourself, on this very forum, to try and win arguments.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
To be fair, you’ve brought a lot of those things up yourself, on this very forum, to try and win arguments.

Yeah I bite back. I shouldn’t have done that. I’m not doing that anymore. Don’t encourage him please cause he keeps doing it.

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I bite back. I shouldn’t have done that. I’m not doing that anymore. Don’t encourage him please cause he keeps doing it.

Not doing that anymore? You had a go at me just this evening.

I don’t mind what you do/say but just don’t pretend it’s only other people who “get personal” here.

Butcher Hicks

Debutant
Dec 9, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
No but calling bullshit opinions facts is🙄
What is the bullshit opinion here,

You used IV drips, your changerooms looked like "hospital wards," it wasn't a good look, AFL banned it soon after you won the flag, Essendon mocked you guys, because of course you don't have the IV game plan if there's not an advantage to gain. All that is FACT is it not?

archangel1979au

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brisbane has to deliver this year. Recruited well and young players maturing and hardening. Got the hoodoo of the back in a few games last year.

Tigers will be up and about but don't think they have what it takes to go all the way. They will trouble many teams playing at their best. Like pies and demons get a stack of games at MCG/ViC which helps to makes finals.

Should be a cracking year ahead.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Should be a cracking year ahead.
Yeah this. Four teams would be legitimately eyeing a flag in pre-season - cats, Lions, Demons, Swans with the tigers and magpies probably thinking they’re a fair chance to win it as well.

Then teams like Carlton, Freo and the dogs who are somewhat unknowns but could have the pieces to finish top four as well. Should be a very competitive year.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not sold on the Tiges. Grimes, Tarrant and Riewoldt are cooked + the two Giants recruits are butchers
How is Grimes cooked. He is 31 and did a hammy, his first in about 6 seasons. Tarrant had a very good season but could be replaced by Balta with Gibcus coming in also and Jack is still a very good player who uses his smarts, which he has a good deal of to get his goals. You don't see him flying for marks much these days.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Wowee 45 pages!

Most encouraging thing i have seen from the lions is not the recruiting but the team defence (as in actually run after your opponent) they have been doing pre-season. Change in mindset / tactics was desperately needed. We score well but are quite easy to score against which will never win a flag.

Theoretically the offseason delivers a big boost because the lions only lose 1 best 22 player in McStay, and get in Gunston, Dunkley, Ashcroft and McKenna. That's a massive increase in best 22 for a top 4 (ish) side.

On the flipside it's easy to see Rich and Zorko going downhill, so that could be 2 more out. Gunston could easily breakdown. McKenna has been out of the game for ages.

I think the draw is a net positive, as the lions are not getting sent to Tassie or Geelong for the first time in many years. Double-ups look okay at least atm.

The big one is it's make or break and that can do funny things do clubs. On top of the Fagan stuff. Catalyst to surge? Beginning of tension in the club?

Tigers also intriguing. Midfield just HAS to get better. The caveat being Prestia who needs his body to hold up. I also thought Cotchin played better than expected in the second half of the year, but where does he play if not inside mid?

Riewoldt also defied his age and but for ordinary kicking (apart from against us!) could have been even better. Does he have more in the tank? Ditto Tarrant.

The tigers were what i thought they would be in 2022 - more susceptible to injury, not the team they were, but still bloody dangerous. i'd expect similar in 2023 but i do wonder how many of the old timers can go again.

But Richmond had a pretty tough run with injury. And of course THE big question, does Martin have hunger for the game anymore?

Tiges seem slightly under the odds to me but they have climbed the mountain before i guess...
Interesting post in regard to Brisbane. Zorko and Rich have been stars for a long time. We saw it first hand with Edwards at Richmond last year, a super player that went downhill faster than I have ever seen in one year.

Brisbane's backline is it's weakest line so some young players will need to stand up, as with most clubs.

You mention that the Richmond's midfield has to get better, adding Taranto and Hopper surely adds quite a bit there.

And according to the club, Martin is very invested and in great shape mentally and physically. Of course the club would say that but doubting his hunger for the game is a bit questionable given how professionally he has taken his football over the last 6-7 years. He did almost lose a kidney and had his father die suddenly last year, whom he was very close to, so that would take the wind out of most footballers. The only thing being he will be 31 years old, so no longer in his prime but still a very handy addition.

Brisbane you give a bit of a pass mark overall, but surely Richmond have improved their stocks over the preseason. Not that it always turns out that way.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I might add that Brisbane haven't really improved their two weakest lines, namely their kpd stocks as well as their rucks. I can see them (again) blowing sides away during the year by weight of scoring power but that won't translate to a premiership imo.
Anyways everyone's playing for second, Dees will romp it in much like 2021

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What is the bullshit opinion here,

You used IV drips, your changerooms looked like "hospital wards," it wasn't a good look, AFL banned it soon after you won the flag, Essendon mocked you guys, because of course you don't have the IV game plan if there's not an advantage to gain. All that is FACT is it not?
Didn’t we win it because of the IV as you keep saying? How did we possibly win the next 2 without it???? That’s right apparently Collingwood were s**t- got within 2 kicks of beating the greatest side ever but yep they were s**t. Essendon mocked us- worked out very well for them too. We only beat them because of injuries- another ‘fact’ as you put it. Your just another Richmond supporter jealous your team couldn’t win 3 in a row- let alone the counting the GWS one, talk about a walk over and was another one against the powerhouse Adelaide team!!!!! And the other on a season ruined by Covid. Just get back to being another ‘hick’ tigers supporter.

Back