Who will be better in 2024? Crows or Port?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
Crows were unlucky to miss the top 8 this year while Port were lucky to make the top 4. Crows flogged Port twice this year.
Port have been better for the last six seasons as they haven't finished below the Crows since 2017, but I feel as though the wheel could turn next year.

Which side do you think will be better next year?

Key difference between the Crows and Port this year is they won most of their close games, we didn’t. Otherwise the teams were fairly even, and Showdown results suggests that matched up against each other we might have been better.

I think it should be us. That being said young teams on the rise often have a little dip before fully hitting their stride (Melbourne 2019, Richmond 2016, Hawthorn 2009), so that may well happen for us.

Crows were unlucky to miss the top 8 this year while Port were lucky to make the top 4. Crows flogged Port twice this year.
Port have been better for the last six seasons as they haven't finished below the Crows since 2017, but I feel as though the wheel could turn next year.

Apart from the Crows not winning enough games to make the top 8, and Port Adelaide winning enough games to make top 2.... I can see your point of view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question.

Think we could have finished ahead of Port this year if not for a goal umpire.

Reckon it may depend on who we trade in/out as we need some quality experienced players in of we lose both McAdam & Doedee.

We lost plenty of close games this year due to inexperience... which needs to change to make the finals... which we should next year.

Can you add a poll.

Port should pick up esav. rat from the cats and thatcher from the bombers which will ease pressure on their weakest link which is defence. Also jordon sweet as well who I think can be a very good ruckman.
Georgidies comes back which is like getting another recruit. All of a sudden they have Dixon, marshall, finlayson, Lord and georgides as tall foward options.Ollie wines will actually have a preseason this time too.
So on paper at least they will have a better list next year so I see them finishing top 4 again, then it's up to Ken he could do a choco next year and have the last laugh at everyone potting him. Pressure will be on though.
The Crows are already a couple of defenders down for next year and are still too reliant on Tex but they are building so I think they finish 7th or 8th

Good question.

Think we could have finished ahead of Port this year if not for a goal umpire.

Reckon it may depend on who we trade in/out as we need some quality experienced players in of we lose both McAdam & Doedee.

We lost plenty of close games this year due to inexperience... which needs to change to make the finals... which we should next year.

Can you add a poll.
Port with missing pieces Sweet, Ratugolea and Zerk-Thatcher added could take the next step.
Then again they could miss the finals and I wouldn't be surprised.
Poll added.

For 2023 both teams overperformed relative to start of year expectations and for 2024 I think Port has more upside and are more likely to keep their place as other teams rise.

On this basis I see Port as a 3-8 side and the crows as a 6-10 side, suggesting it is more likely Port finish ahead of the Crows again next year.

Regards

S. Pete

Back