Who will be better in 2024? Sydney or GWS?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
Both NSW sides recently undertook mini rebuilds/restump/replumb/rewire approaches to their lists and are now back in premiership contention.

Which side do you think will be better next year?

Giants. They are the best team in the comp.
Same was being said about Port this time in 2014.
Remember Port in 2014 had a very similar finals series to that of GWS this year, including losing to the eventual premiership side in the preliminary final by a kick at the MCG.

Same was being said about Port this time in 2014.
Remember Port in 2014 had a very similar finals series to that of GWS this year, including losing to the eventual premiership side in the preliminary final by a kick at the MCG.
That is very true. Good comparison.

Another comparison could be to Collingwood last year. New coach, bottom four side and having an ordinary start to the year. Both sides got on a roll and lost a prelim on the road by under a kick.

Of course we know what happened with the pies. I believe the Giants have even more talent.

I'm guessing GWS, but I think this is a really good question. Sydney made a lot of changes, so they're a bit of an unknown right now

Not saying we will win the flag or anything but adding Grundy and Adams really helps a lot as our ruck and inside mids were a serious liability in 2023.

Only glaring weakness right now is in our KPD stocks, and if McCartin goes down we are in a bit of trouble, but if he stays fit I think Sydney will be a better team in 2024 than we were in 2023.

Not saying we will win the flag or anything but adding Grundy and Adams really helps a lot as our ruck and inside mids were a serious liability in 2023.

Only glaring weakness right now is in our KPD stocks, and if McCartin goes down we are in a bit of trouble, but if he stays fit I think Sydney will be a better team in 2024 than we were in 2023.
Yeah I think so too. Ruck was a glaring issue last year and they fixed that, so they’re a more complete side this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamling could be handy... if you can get him fit.

The giants are the better team but I have concerns there were no mature list improvements over the trade period, which I think you need annually as a top 4 team.

The swans really improved areas of weakness and are always there and abouts, so I'd say it's hard to split them.

Sydney for mine. Very good recruiting over the break.

Infact I'm bullish on Sydney and tip them to win the minor premiership.

Should both be thereabouts in contending .Apart from the ruck I’m not sure about swans key position stocks though.Amartey is good but is yet to show he is durable same with Hamling.Rampe is slowing down and while Mcartin does well he is undersized against the monster forwards .This is why they targeted McKay and Barrass etc.Mids and flankers there really strong although they will miss Mills two way running and ability to play as defensive mid and to play as intercept defender late in games.
With Giants I rate our defence as best in the league when u factor in Aleer and Haynes are reserves.I agree that it would have been nice to pick up another mid in post season in case of injuries.This is potential weakness if Green,Cogs or Callahan go down but bonus is hopefully fit Preuss in reserve in 24.Forwards look good especially if Hogan continues his upward trajectory at Giants.
I would have Giants slightly ahead but feel it will come down to injuries .Swans have better home ground advantage though at this stage which evens it out further

Back