• Trent Cotchin

Votes: 44 26.7%
  • Jaeger O'Meara

Votes: 85 51.5%
  • Tom Mitchell

Votes: 36 21.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

O'Meara by the length of the Flemington Straight.
Cotchin easily. Easily.
Mitchell and it's not even close.

Now that I've got the typical BF responses out of the way, maybe we can involve ourselves in some genuine discussion.

JOM, he is a freak and could be one of the best of all time at the end of his career. Cotchin and Mitchell will be top 10 players, but, JOM, is in a different league.

Jaeger is the only talent I've seen at that age who is that complete.

Zero holes in his game for a midfielder, which is pretty damn incredible.

Not a lot of holes in Cotchin's either, but Jaeger has him covered for athleticism/power, and he already seems to have less of an issue with consistency than Cotchin had for the first few years of his career.

Jaeger is the only talent I've seen at that age who is that complete.

Zero holes in his game for a midfielder, which is pretty damn incredible.

Not a lot of holes in Cotchin's either, but Jaeger has him covered for athleticism/power, and he already seems to have less of an issue with consistency than Cotchin had for the first few years of his career.

I would expect that is because JOM hasn't had/didn't have the same injury troubles that Cotchin had - he only completed his first full (modified) preseason at the start of 2012 I believe.

In saying that though, JOM is a freakishly awesome player and had he gone in the draft at number 1, would probably be the best #1 draft pick I've seen. Personally think it's too early to make a call on whether JOM or Mitchell will be better than Cotchin as they are yet to complete a whole season but all 3 will be among the best mids in the game you would think. From what we've seen, they both have the potential to be superstars of the game.

I've heard/read that this Jack Martin will be even better than JOM which is a scary proposition for opposition teams...

I would expect that is because JOM hasn't had/didn't have the same injury troubles that Cotchin had - he only completed his first full (modified) preseason at the start of 2012 I believe.

In saying that though, JOM is a freakishly awesome player and had he gone in the draft at number 1, would probably be the best #1 draft pick I've seen. Personally think it's too early to make a call on whether JOM or Mitchell will be better than Cotchin as they are yet to complete a whole season but all 3 will be among the best mids in the game you would think. From what we've seen, they both have the potential to be superstars of the game.

I've heard/read that this Jack Martin will be even better than JOM which is a scary proposition for opposition teams...

I was not a massive fan of Martin at first and what I had seen did not impress me at NEAFL level. But lately he has been seriously impressive. And I'm not going to say he will be better than O'Meara just yet, but he has the tools and potential to be.

Cotchin, if he starts to fix his disposal use, he'll be on the verge of tearing it up for the next 6-7 seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jaeger at 18 is better than a 22 year old Ablett, Swan, Pendles, Mitchell, Watson. Give him 4 years and he will be ridiculous.

If all three continue at the rate they are developing, then you'd have to say JOM. But there is no way to tell who will be better in 5 year's time. I'm voting JOM because he's classy as *.

Jaeger at 18 is better than a 22 year old Ablett, Swan, Pendles, Mitchell, Watson. Give him 4 years and he will be ridiculous.

I don't think so man, if statistics is what you are after them Jaeger has em covered but for pure footballing brilliance, Ablett has O'Meara covered quite convincingly in my opinion.
Ablett played as a forward when he entered the league and he also had to break into a team on the rise whereas O'Meara plays midfield and walked into the starting line-up from day 1.

Easy to forget but Ablett was almost impossible to tackle at 19/20 yrs of age, he just didn't gather the ludicrous numbers we see from many (top) small forwards of today and this was why some people became frustrated early on because they could see his unlimited potential just waiting to be tapped into.

Your also a tad harsh on Pendlebury, you obviously know him better than me but it seems like he was a complete footballer from the beginning of his career and unlike Jaeger, he had to try and cement a spot next to blokes with 150-200 games experience.

O'Meara and Mitchell debuted this season. Cotchin had played 70 odd games at the start of this season. Strange comparison.

Anyway I still think Cotchin is overrated, and think in order of best to worst will be JOM, Mitchell, Cotchin. All will be guns though.

Idiotic call - Won the Norm Smith medal at 22.
What is this obsession with norm smith medals?
It's just one game, granted its a big game, anyone can have one big game every now and then.
Brownlows and MVPs fairs enough, that's based on consistency over a year.

Might as well talk up Ross glendinning medals too, in which case Michael Barlow is the best player ever!

Oh and O'meara! Short of some kind of career threatening injury it's hard to not see an insane future for this guy :O

What is this obsession with norm smith medals?
It's just one game, granted its a big game, anyone can have one big game every now and then.
Brownlows and MVPs fairs enough, that's based on consistency over a year.

Might as well talk up Ross glendinning medals too, in which case Michael Barlow is the best player ever!

Yep - Norm Smith medals and Ross Glendinning medals are the same thing :rolleyes:

Scott Pendlebury won the Norm Smith medal in 2010, capping off an absolutely brilliant season in which he had basically already reached the level at which he is currently playing. Maybe he's stepped it up another notch lately with some incredible play, but at the age of 22 he was already CLEARLY a superstar, and that peanut was claiming that Jaeger O'Meara is a better player than Pendles was at that age.

The Norm Smith medal was just pointed out to make that point to a Collingwood supporter who should know better.

Back