Opinion Who Will Be Gone for 2022?

Who won't be on the Saints list in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why get rid of Battle? Fantastic 2020 as a CHB, moved position and he had one bad year so we should just turf him. Hunter should be kept for depth in case we lose Ryder and/or Marshall. Get rid of Dunstan and Ross. Keep lonie unless we get a late second/early third for him. Kent and Long should be moved on but I can see Ratts keeping them.
The idea of Battle moving is 100% speculation made up on this board. There has been zero media to my knowledge of him even being unhappy at the club.

+1 with DMac. Suprisingly pleasing great depth player :thumbsu:

I reckon he'd be a lock in the side at the moment. He's become a hard bodied combative wing man instead of a shaky HBF. He seems one of those players that sets way the team plays. He turned us around against West Coast and lifted the side's energy and flicked the switch. If I was Ratts it would take a a good player to tip him out of the side. He is kind of what you'd like Longy to become. He still has the aggression but has taken the rest of his game up a level. If Long could do that and have the two of them playing close to the edge our side would be better for it.

Geary should do the right think and pull the plug , he is not in the best 22 and is not in the future plans , i think he is being a bit selfish IMO

We’re losing a lot of others, 5 already, maybe more, so need a lot of replacements which maybe we don’t have the currency to get (pick-wise).

I would imagine that if the club wanted him to retire, considering he’s out of contract, it would have happened. Maybe they’re happy to give him a year on minimal pay to help out with training standards, coaching etc.

He just must not be captain (and I doubt he will be) because he’s not best 22 anymore.

We’re losing a lot of others, 5 already, maybe more, so need a lot of replacements which maybe we don’t have the currency to get (pick-wise).

I would imagine that if the club wanted him to retire, considering he’s out of contract, it would have happened. Maybe they’re happy to give him a year on minimal pay to help out with training standards, coaching etc.

He just must not be captain (and I doubt he will be) because he’s not best 22 anymore.

I think its pretty obvious that the club, players , and coaches like and respect Geary a lot more than the people on big footy do.

McKenzie has actually completed an incredible transition from on field liability to on field asset. Knows his limitations, generally makes good decisions (previously his biggest flaw), good overhead and solid defensively. If we’re at full fitness and challenging for a flag, he might not be best 22, but he’s exactly the type of depth player that all the good sides have.

To me , his biggest flaw used to be that he didn't do anything with the ball. He used to receive it then give it off, fast , to anyone, even the guy with Tom Hawkins sitting on his head.

It must have been something he worked on , because now he takes his opponent on and often breaks through and gets a pretty effective disposal.

How did you view McKenzie this year as a sceptic? I thought he was solid. As a wingman he’s able to find it a bit more and from memory he rarely wasted a kick or handball. Has a hard edge too. His turnaround has been a surprise. If we’re competing for a flag he’s probably not quite best 22 but he’s handy to have on the list.
He's had some decent moments. His disposal has been better at times. Playing on a wing is where he can hurt us the least by either not missing goals/kicks inside 50 and by not getting made a fool of by better forwards when he plays in defence. At this point he's handy backup imo but frankly every time he has the ball it's genuine heart in mouth stuff and I still have no confidence he isn't going to crumble at any given moment. Wouldn't mind palming him off because we have no idea how long this "form" run will last and no one wants a repeat of his last 3 year deal...

Geary should do the right think and pull the plug , he is not in the best 22 and is not in the future plans , i think he is being a bit selfish IMO

Very very difficult to get rid of everyone and we are already cutting a lot of ded wood.

I don't know how we would find a draft pick to replace him.

We have to keep some and for mine he's worth retaining over some of the other spuds, at least he will be good depth. I would back him to play his role if needed come finals time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality ad hominem stuff.

Nah I didn't mean it as a personal attack, just that if you feel worried when he has the ball despite him showing this year that his disposal and decision making is much improved, then that's not his fault. Sometimes when we have a perception about a player it takes a while to change that.

Nah I didn't mean it as a personal attack, just that if you feel worried when he has the ball despite him showing this year that his disposal and decision making is much improved, then that's not his fault. Sometimes when we have a perception about a player it takes a while to change that.
I don't think it's necessarily that I don't think he's improved, it's just that when he has the ball he still looks like a headless chicken. For example, the handball to Hannebery in the last game, somehow he hit a handball to a player he couldn't see directly behind him and the entire time including during the handball he looked like he was off balance and about to get pinged for holding.

Besides Dunstan & Lonie, I think Seb Ross is one to move along. No longer a walk-up MID starter and failed in some of his close tag jobs. If we could get a 2nd rounder from somewhere take it & run.

Besides Dunstan & Lonie, I think Seb Ross is one to move along. No longer a walk-up MID starter and failed in some of his close tag jobs. If we could get a 2nd rounder from somewhere take it & run.

Hopefully Newnes could put in a good word for him with Carlton, or Good Coast could be desperate enough for a mature mid.

AFL website has Dunstan as delisted. But nothing on the Saints page. Strange...
I saw that. I think it’s just lazy journalism. We haven’t delisted him, just said we won’t be offering a new contract. There is a difference. Luke now knows he will have to find a new home if he wants to keep playing, he can’t wait and hope we offer him another year.
Good luck to him.

At this stage it is still just Robo, Frawley, McKernan and Carslisle retired. Wonder when the first delistings will be made public?
Reckon a few of our out of contracts will be told they need to wait til after trade period.
Kent, Lonie, Clav, Joyce, Hunter probably have all been told you might get another year if we dont find someone else in your position. (not in those words)
Ross & Billings seem to have offers in front of them but are hoping for offers from those in finals

Back