Who will be next?

Remove this Banner Ad

Alan Toovey - is a Premiership player and crowd favourite
Brent McCaffer - is a Premiership player and great club man
Dane Swan - is Dane Swan

Pretty sure that the AFL mandates that clubs must notify players of their future (or lack of) within three or four days of the end of the club's AFL season.

So by this time next week there'll likely be more Collingwood players who will be reaching the end of their playing careers.

Who will be next?

EDIT: Thanks to wello for the summary below ...

Contracted & Staying (25)
Fasolo, De Goey, Grundy, Goldsack, Treloar, Langdon, Pendlebury, Adams, Aish, Marsh, Varcoe, Greenwood, Reid, Phillips, Sidebottom, Crisp, Moore, Ramsay, Wills, Sier, Maynard, Howe, Crocker, Oxley, Cox

Contracted W Long-Term Injury Concerns (3)
Elliott, Scharenberg, Sinclair

Contracted Potential Trade (Actively discussed) (1)
Cloke

Out of Contract (14)
White, Blair, Witts, Brown, Keeffe, Thomas, Williams, Goodyear, Broomhead, Smith, Golds, Gault, Frost, Wyatt

Retired (Confirmed) (3)
Macaffer, Toovey, Swan

Last edited:

Gault, golds, Wyatt....maybe even Goodyear.... will end their AFL careers. Hardly illustrious careers though

Agree Gault and Golds are on shaky ground but Wyatt is a Cat B rookie so unless they have a couple of other alternative Cat B prospects lined up I think they'll give him another year. Coming from a long way back but has shown some signs and blokes with his size and pace don't come along all too often.

Goodyear 50/50.

Blair can piss off somewhere else

Ain't gonna happen. Good ordinary footballer who plays a role and until someone offers more, he'll keep getting selected.

Dane Swan - is Dane Swan
Pretty sure that the AFL mandates that clubs must notify players of their future (or lack of) within three or four days of the end of the club's AFL season.
So by this time next week there'll likely be more Collingwood players who will be reaching the end of their playing careers.

Who will be next?
Clubs don't have to finalise their preliminary lists until 31st October. Players contracts end on this day, so there is still a fair way to go for players to be told if they are delisted. But those players whose contracts end this year will have a fair idea. Their managers will either be in discussion with the club and have been presented a new contract, or they will see the writing on the wall.

Clubs don't have to finalise their preliminary lists until 31st October.

Agree

Players contracts end on this day, ...

Agree - hence players can continue to play for a VFL premiership.

... so there is still a fair way to go for players to be told if they are delisted. But those players whose contracts end this year will have a fair idea.

I've heard Buckley say in recent years that there is some AFL rule around having to let players know their future within some short period of time (3 days IIRC?). In past years the delistings have been announced quite quickly.

Not sure how this reconciles with the first point above though. Maybe they have the option of telling them within three days that they haven't made up their mind yet?

Their managers will either be in discussion with the club and have been presented a new contract, or they will see the writing on the wall.

Agree

Possibly Goodyear, but I'd like to give him another year, maybe on the rookie list. Can join the other two, returning from their two year ban, if they turn up. For some reason I am still not convinced they will return, especially Thomas. Just a hunch. Probably wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Wyatt, I find it really odd that as an athletic tall with limited footy exposure, he seems to have spent the entire season up forward, rather than developing in the backline. In fact, when you look at many of our recent Cat B rookies this has been the case - Mooney, Cox, Richmond. Meanwhile, cat B rookies, or\ the equivalent Irish experiments that predated Cat B, who have succeeded haven't succeeded as forwards - they've succeeded in defence or the ruck.

I've heard Buckley say in recent years that there is some AFL rule around having to let players know their future within some short period of time (3 days IIRC?). In past years the delistings have been announced quite quickly.

Not sure how this reconciles with the first point above though. Maybe they have the option of telling them within three days that they haven't made up their mind yet?
The AFL rule on delisting players is this (Clause 19(a) of the CBA.. "No Player shall be delisted from the List of an AFL Club from the period immediately following the Pre-Season Draft until 31 October"
I don't think there is a rule that a player shall be told within a certain nimber of days that they will be delisted. However, it is probably something clubs do as a matter of respect to the player. They let him know so that the player has an opportunity to explore other options. It is good practice to let people know of a decision on their future as soon as possible. It would be pretty ordinary by the club to wait until 30th Oct, and say "haha, you're delisted..".
Anyway, we will find out progressively, but i don't think it will be next week..

Sinclair would surely have to be a serious possibility of hanging up the boots?
I think he will stay on the list and give it a shot early next year. Balme said he wanted to play these final 2 games but the club took the safe approach and ruled him out for the rest of the year.

One more concussion though and his career would be in jeopardy for sure.

He's talented enough to hang on to, for one more year at least.

Possibly Goodyear, but I'd like to give him another year, maybe on the rookie list. Can join the other two, returning from their two year ban, if they turn up. For some reason I am still not convinced they will return, especially Thomas. Just a hunch. Probably wrong.

Yep can see Goodyear sitting on the rookie list for 3 years like yagmoor... in the hope he gets better. Agree on Thomas too... which is why I would include him in a trade if possible.

Only because of the three serious concussions in the season. Buckley said earlier in the season that they'll need to sit down and have a chat with Sinclair about his future - his health is more important than football.

Obviously on form he stays.

I think thats more about being a good employer than anything officially mandated.

Players know when their contract is up and when lists must be named. They also know when FA and trade period is open.

But the limited FA/Trade period (finishing well before list deadlines) is pretty poor. Theoretically a club has no responsibility to officially delist player X until after theyve made all their moves in trade period... Giving player X no ability to sign up with another team. In reality no club is going to do that - and these discussions would be happening well before that.
Plenty of players would be having conversations with Bucks in the last few weeks about their future (and everyone will have their season review soon after round 23) - so nothing should be a suprise.
But with the official deadline not occuring until 31st October - i don't see how you can mandate anything earlier.

Sinclair would surely have to be a serious possibility of hanging up the boots?

Pretty sure he's referring to his multiple concussions.
Will end up likely being a discussion between doctors, sincs (and his family) and the club.

I havent heard anything since his last concussion ending his 2016 season - but the discussions will definitely be happening about what happens next.

Agree Gault and Golds are on shaky ground but Wyatt is a Cat B rookie so unless they have a couple of other alternative Cat B prospects lined up I think they'll give him another year. Coming from a long way back but has shown some signs and blokes with his size and pace don't come along all too often.

Goodyear 50/50.
Add to that cox will most likely be promoted to the main list meaning only one cat b rookie on our roster structuring

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Dane Swan - is Dane Swan

Who will be next?
Suspect besides these....

Goldsack will move to SA (that's the feeling I have, I've been wrong before)
Goodyear (tentative but could be cut, I'm guessing yes, could be rookied)
Golds (delisted)
Gault (delisted)
Wyatt (can stay, as no affect; not sure Cat B rules so he can be kept with no salary cap issues)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back