Who will be next?

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL rule on delisting players is this (Clause 19(a) of the CBA.. "No Player shall be delisted from the List of an AFL Club from the period immediately following the Pre-Season Draft until 31 October"

True, but being delisted is different to being told about being delisted.

The way it has worked in previous years is next Monday morning the footy dept go through the list and decide who stays and who goes, then all players come in in turn over the following few days and discuss their futures (good or bad). Word typically gets out soon afterwards.

Anyway, let's see how it turns out

Was ben Richmond a cat B rookie? I think he only lasted one season...

Yes, but Wyatt has shown quite a bit more than Richmond (the player, although consideration of the club may also apply).

Add to that cox will most likely be promoted to the main list meaning only one cat b rookie on our roster structuring

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Agree Mason due for promotion etc.
Keefe will be given big go I believe, Thomas that player I just don't know what he does.
Might be trade bait on some level

Add to that cox will most likely be promoted to the main list meaning only one cat b rookie on our roster structuring

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Can remain on the Cat B rookie list for at least 1 more year I think so doubt they promote. Senior list of 38 and promote to the final 2 senior spots as required.

Wyatt (can stay, as no affect; not sure Cat B rules so he can be kept with no salary cap issues)

IMHO the club should only keep him on the list if they genuinely believe he's a reasonable chance of contributing something to the senior squad.

Otherwise it's bad for culture. And even though it might be outside of the salary cap, it is still the member's money being spent.

Of others named:

Gault - definite to go IMO (as long as his rookie time is up). Has never shown he will be AFL quality. Could be a tack-on to a trade with a club looking for a project rookie KPF.

Witts - I think Grundy has well as truly stamped his name on the No 1 ruck spot. If Witts is happy to keep performing at VFL in the hope for his chance - absolutely keep him, but if hes not, then id try to get a late 1st, early-mid 2nd rounder for him.

Cloke - it depends on a lot of things that we won't have privilege to. He is contracted and If his salary will only be 400k then id be inclined to want to keep him. Wouldnt suprise me if he wants a garauntee from Bucks about his position in the team next year, and otherwise will demand a trade - and then it depends which clubs want him and what they are willing to offer. (that will be the sticking point IMO - not sure if we get a good enough return to warrant trading him out on a discounted salary).

Goldsack - I can see he might want to ask for a trade, but cant see any other club garaunteeing him more of a role than he gets here - so reckon he'll hang around for another year or 2 in his same role.

Goodyear - id be happy giving him another year, but not too fussed.

Wyatt - as a Cat B rookie in a KPF role, theres no pressure to make that decision this year.

Williams - not sure if this season is just due to injuries or if he/we want out. My preference is definitely to keep him, and would want something very good in return (unless he's desperate to leave or the offield issues are big).

Keefe, Thomas. Without knowing how theyve spent their time - my preference is to keep Keefe but not Thomas... Wouldnt suprise me if both are delisted if either they are completely out of shape, or dont have the desire to return.

Of others named:

Gault - definite to go IMO (as long as his rookie time is up). Has never shown he will be AFL quality. Could be a tack-on to a trade with a club looking for a project rookie KPF.

Witts - I think Grundy has well as truly stamped his name on the No 1 ruck spot. If Witts is happy to keep performing at VFL in the hope for his chance - absolutely keep him, but if hes not, then id try to get a late 1st, early-mid 2nd rounder for him.

Cloke - it depends on a lot of things that we won't have privilege to. He is contracted and If his salary will only be 400k then id be inclined to want to keep him. Wouldnt suprise me if he wants a garauntee from Bucks about his position in the team next year, and otherwise will demand a trade - and then it depends which clubs want him and what they are willing to offer. (that will be the sticking point IMO - not sure if we get a good enough return to warrant trading him out on a discounted salary).

Goldsack - I can see he might want to ask for a trade, but cant see any other club garaunteeing him more of a role than he gets here - so reckon he'll hang around for another year or 2 in his same role.

Goodyear - id be happy giving him another year, but not too fussed.

Wyatt - as a Cat B rookie in a KPF role, theres no pressure to make that decision this year.

Williams - not sure if this season is just due to injuries or if he/we want out. My preference is definitely to keep him, and would want something very good in return (unless he's desperate to leave or the offield issues are big).

Keefe, Thomas. Without knowing how theyve spent their time - my preference is to keep Keefe but not Thomas... Wouldnt suprise me if both are delisted if either they are completely out of shape, or dont have the desire to return.

If all those pan out (and I know that is not what you're saying) that'll be 12 list changes. Plus there are always the ones people generally don't see coming.

Gault and Golds only real stand outs. Both rookies though.

Rumours may depart - Cloke, N.Brown & Witts

Mason Cox and Josh Smith would have to be decent chances to get upgraded to the senior list. Only 3 have departed so far.

Goldsack has a year to run and was injured for most part of year, not playing VFL due to form. I think he'll stay on. Contracted for 2017.

I've done a bit of a summary regarding contracted / out of contracted / retired players etc. I foresee another summer of mass turnover.
Would not surprise me to see up to 12 drop off our list, either through trade, delist or retirement. In my opinion, these could be Cloke, Witts, Thomas, Williams, Goodyear, Broomhead, Golds, Gault and Frost, in addition to the three confirmed retirements.

Contracted & Staying (25)

Fasolo, De Goey, Grundy, Goldsack, Treloar, Langdon, Pendlebury, Adams, Aish, Marsh, Varcoe, Greenwood, Reid, Phillips, Sidebottom, Crisp, Moore, Ramsay, Wills, Sier, Maynard, Howe, Crocker, Oxley, Cox

Contracted W Long-Term Injury Concerns (3)
Elliott, Scharenberg, Sinclair

Contracted Potential Trade (Actively discussed) (1)
Cloke

Out of Contract (14)
White, Blair, Witts, Brown, Keeffe, Thomas, Williams, Goodyear, Broomhead, Smith, Golds, Gault, Frost, Wyatt

Retired (Confirmed) (3)
Macaffer, Toovey, Swan

Is this information correct?
Thoughts on who stays and who goes?

I've done a bit of a summary regarding contracted / out of contracted / retired players etc. I foresee another summer of mass turnover.
Would not surprise me to see up to 12 drop off our list, either through trade, delist or retirement. In my opinion, these could be Cloke, Witts, Thomas, Williams, Goodyear, Broomhead, Golds, Gault and Frost, in addition to the three confirmed retirements.

Fasolo, De Goey, Grundy, Goldsack, Treloar, Langdon, Pendlebury, Adams, Aish, Marsh, Varcoe, Greenwood, Reid, Phillips, Sidebottom, Crisp, Moore, Ramsay, Wills, Sier, Maynard, Howe, Crocker, Oxley, Cox

Cloke

Out of Contract (14)
White, Blair, Witts, Brown, Keeffe, Thomas, Williams, Goodyear, Broomhead, Smith, Golds, Gault, Frost, Wyatt

Retired (Confirmed) (3)
Macaffer, Toovey, Swan

Is this information correct?
Thoughts on who stays and who goes?

I've shamelessly plagiarised this and pasted the info in the OP, thanks :thumbsu:

IMHO the club should only keep him on the list if they genuinely believe he's a reasonable chance of contributing something to the senior squad.

Otherwise it's bad for culture. And even though it might be outside of the salary cap, it is still the member's money being spent.

All of which has to be spent on the clubs activities under not-for-profit requirements so spending a little on a project player who may evolve into a senior player is more than reasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we know yet if Elliott is out of the woods with his injury and expected to be good to go in the off season?

He's back doing limited training but I reckon it'll be a very patient build up and won't be known for some time if his problems are behind him (pardon the pun).

Gault and Golds only real stand outs. Both rookies though.

Rumours may depart - Cloke, N.Brown & Witts

Mason Cox and Josh Smith would have to be decent chances to get upgraded to the senior list. Only 3 have departed so far.

Goldsack has a year to run and was injured for most part of year, not playing VFL due to form. I think he'll stay on. Contracted for 2017.

Gault actually took the last spot in the senior 40 when he was promoted unless I'm mistaken.

My 2c on the one's wello listed as out of contract:

White - think he'll be re-signed, almost certain if Cloke gets traded (and we don't pick up another key forward). Has had a decent year really.

Blair - think he'll be re-signed, don't think he'll be de-listed despite the reputation he has on here. Can't see him being used in a trade.

Witts - obviously won't be de-listed but looks a chance to be traded. Will be re-signed or traded away. Leaning towards getting traded if another team can all but guarantee him a spot in the best 22.

Brown - think he'll be re-signed. Our key back stops look a little thin if he goes.

Keeffe & Thomas - hardest to judge given their last couple of years. Given that they were rookied I think that's a sign of intent from Collingwood to keep them but who knows. Hope we keep Keeffe but not fussed either way on Thomas, think we're close to covered in his position and can't remember what he adds to that.

Williams - will be re-signed or traded you would think, won't be de-listed. Not his best year and there's a bit of smoke around him being traded, when there's smoke there's fire as they say apparently.

Goodyear - I like what others have said about him being rookied. Not given many chances at AFL level but he hasn't shown too much at the level when he has been given the chance. Wouldn't be surprised to see him de-listed + rookied. Maybe traded off for a late pick (possibly points for Daicos). See a few people on this list ahead of him.

Broomhead - a tough one given he's obviously talented but is struggling to put it together (not all his own fault). Injury issues and has struggled for AFL-level consistency (again, probably due to injury more than anything). You feel like he just needs time to put it all together but the question is how much time do you give him? I think the club will want to keep him but won't be surprised if he's a part of a trade given his injury issues. Hope we can keep him though.

Smith - re-signed and upgraded to the main list. Looks very comfortable at AFL level and has had a great debut season.

Golds - Haven't see much VFL footy but if I go by the general bigfooty consensus sounds like he's gone.

Gault - De-listed, doesn't look like he can make it at AFL level.

Wyatt - As mentioned, haven't seen much VFL footy. Given that he's a Cat B rookie player there doesn't seem to be a pressing need to de-list if he's showing some form.

IIRC Broomhead's contract is up?

I reckon he'd be a good chance of going.
Funny I don't see him going.
Unless it helps us get something wonderful....
You could be right ofcourse.

All of which has to be spent on the clubs activities under not-for-profit requirements so spending a little on a project player who may evolve into a senior player is more than reasonable.
Didn't think of that.like your thinking.

Alan Toovey - is a Premiership player and crowd favourite
Brent McCaffer - is a Premiership player and great club man
Dane Swan - is Dane Swan

Pretty sure that the AFL mandates that clubs must notify players of their future (or lack of) within three or four days of the end of the club's AFL season.

So by this time next week there'll likely be more Collingwood players who will be reaching the end of their playing careers.

Who will be next?

EDIT: Thanks to wello for the summary below ...

Cloke

Out of Contract (14)

Retired (Confirmed) (3)
Macaffer, Toovey, Swan

I doubt we will see any further retirements. I think Gault, Golds and Wyatt are at serious risk of being delisted. The interest will really come from the trades. My prediction is Witts and Williams.

That makes Swan, Toovey, Macaffer, Gault, Golds, Wyatt, Witts and Williams. Although 8 list changes is pretty moderate for us so it'd be bucking the trend.

True, but being delisted is different to being told about being delisted.

The way it has worked in previous years is next Monday morning the footy dept go through the list and decide who stays and who goes, then all players come in in turn over the following few days and discuss their futures (good or bad). Word typically gets out soon afterwards.

Anyway, let's see how it turns out
Or just like North have done and be told, 'your contract won't be renewed'.
Players like Gault and Gold could fall into that category as possibly no trade value and get them looking to what is available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back