Who will be our "Kick In" King in '19 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Please not Simpson.

Everyone knows he is going to kick it to himself and swing onto his left.
Or, we used this season to set up the biggest non-sequitur in the AFL.

"Simpson's got the ball in the kickin, what's he going to do, Duck?"

"He usually kicks to himself, goes long down the line on his left. I mean, he did it pretty much every time last year!"

"Good call, Duck! Simpson goes - yep, he's played on, goes to kick- hang on a minute, he's broken free, he's kicked out to the now open side on his right foot, I didn't know he even HAD one of those, the ball's clear, Charlie Curnow goes to mark, he brings it to ground, mops up, handpasses to Fisher, who handpasses to Murphy, who has time, handpasses to a flying Simpson, who gets to forward 50, lowers the eyes, and spots up McKay."

"I swear, I thought he was going to go long down the line, Lingy!"

"You can't be right all the time, Duck!"

Awkward silence.

The square will signify when the player plays on. I'd still like to see the player have to kick to themself. Don't mind the man on the mark being a bit further back. Don't mind playing on from a 50 meter penalty. Think the ruck nominating should have been scrapped. Hands in the back going I think is an alright thing though there could be some serious staging going on. I like 666, ads more value to center clearances but we may see less comebacks. I don't like the runners/water carriers ban. I think especially when it's hot players should be afforded water, I hope this does not filter down to other leagues, I hope there is a heat rule that overrides this. Like the kicking for goal rule. I don't think changing the rule for taking the ball from the ruck is a good thing.

Not sure how it affects us. Pace, good center clearance play, long kicking might be some things that are more rewarded.

The square will signify when the player plays on. I'd still like to see the player have to kick to themself. Don't mind the man on the mark being a bit further back. Don't mind playing on from a 50 meter penalty. Think the ruck nominating should have been scrapped. Hands in the back going I think is an alright thing though there could be some serious staging going on. I like 666, ads more value to center clearances but we may see less comebacks. I don't like the runners/water carriers ban. I think especially when it's hot players should be afforded water, I hope this does not filter down to other leagues, I hope there is a heat rule that overrides this. Like the kicking for goal rule. I don't think changing the rule for taking the ball from the ruck is a good thing.

Not sure how it affects us. Pace, good center clearance play, long kicking might be some things that are more rewarded.
The goalsquare will still be in use for forwards whom mark within it. Fascinating change to the game, though. Keen to see what clubs do in the JLT, but moreso what it means for our high-marking forwards/talls on the kickouts. Expect some teams to adapt a faster style of counter-attack, whilst others may still want to continue their 2018 style. Could the Blue Boys become one of those teams leading the charge, with Charlie, McGovern, Harry used in set plays? As long as we hit a target, i don't really care. Thanks for all the thoughts regarding who picks up the ball after a point. Now to start thinking how our forward line sets up after we kick a point......who mans the mark???? Polson??? Garlett?? Cunners?? Every time we have a set shot, I'll be looking to see who drifts forward to man the mark.....

The goalsquare will still be in use for forwards whom mark within it. Fascinating change to the game, though. Keen to see what clubs do in the JLT, but moreso what it means for our high-marking forwards/talls on the kickouts. Expect some teams to adapt a faster style of counter-attack, whilst others may still want to continue their 2018 style. Could the Blue Boys become one of those teams leading the charge, with Charlie, McGovern, Harry used in set plays? As long as we hit a target, i don't really care. Thanks for all the thoughts regarding who picks up the ball after a point. Now to start thinking how our forward line sets up after we kick a point......who mans the mark???? Polson??? Garlett?? Cunners?? Every time we have a set shot, I'll be looking to see who drifts forward to man the mark.....

That's enough from you draftee ….. back to training … :)

I think there will be a lot of playing on. I think opposition teams will try and encourage to opposition to kick it short and wide. I hope we don't get too caught up with running it and then going long. A lot of times when you run with the ball short options pop up so I hope we lower our eyes. I think it'll really open and speed the game up. It will still be about trying to get the opposition to go wide then defend hard from there but I think it will make for some interesting footy. Get the big guys at the back of the press, that's the key and having two big marking forwards and a quick medium marking target will work really well. McKay one one side and Curnow on the other at the back of the zone, McGovern sneaking out the back to get it one on one from a quick passage of play.

On the flip side we may actually see more of a flood if it works well too offensively. Teams may put less efforts into their forward press and position more for a flood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, the game doesn't warrant a 10 yard square anymore?
Correct. The AFL will introduce the 18 metre rectangle by stealth. It will be painted on the grounds in the early hours of the morning & covered until just before match time, leaving it too late for clubs to complain about it. You read it here first. ;)

Will change the landscape of fantasy football if every kick in is now included in a players score

Whoever gets the ball first once a behind has been scored, hopefully with sound foot skills.

Where I think this rule could really be exploited, is that first kick still being quick, but to a player directly up the corridor, 30-40 metres from the kick in. It would then open up both sides of the ground, rather than being contained to one side, which is easier to defend
That first kick in deep into the pockets shits me no end !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back