Who will be our new coach next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I think about it the more I warm to Choco taking over.
Just need an experienced cool calm head right now. Even for a year or two and you know Choco will take the role if asked.
Not sure Clarko will. Or even Simmo.

The more I think about it the more I warm to Choco taking over.
Just need an experienced cool calm head right now. Even for a year or two and you know Choco will take the role if asked.
Not sure Clarko will. Or even Simmo.
l'm leaning to Choco also as we wouldn't have to pay an outrageous amount to get him and l think he would be better for the club than Clarkson and definately Simmo...However having said that if Clarkson got the job l would be ok with that also..

Strange as it sounds, I wonder if Choco is more suited to our current remit than Clarkson.

Additionally Choco has the unusual combination of being both development coach and finisher.
Choco is a good game day coach, good with young ones, has a bit of mongrel…

Make it happen Euge

Also, did we find out if he was approached last time or if he wasn’t interested?

Strange as it sounds, I wonder if Choco is more suited to our current remit than Clarkson.

Additionally Choco has the unusual combination of being both development coach and finisher.

Circumstantially I think it makes more sense for Clarkson, taking a bottom team out back to a flag is what he said he’d like to do as a challenge and not be surrounded by the right people/players as soon as he gets there as long as its achievable within 5 years etc.

Williams is a bit of a question mark, we all know how good he can be but he’s been out of the big chair for a while and he has a comfortable job at the Dees, nothing indicates he really wants to take on a rebuilding side etc.

I’d be stoked for either of them, at this point its them or bust, I think we’d be under selling ourselves and shooting low to go for anyone else.

Circumstantially I think it makes more sense for Clarkson, taking a bottom team out back to a flag is what he said he’d like to do as a challenge and not be surrounded by the right people/players as soon as he gets there as long as its achievable within 5 years etc.

Williams is a bit of a question mark, we all know how good he can be but he’s been out of the big chair for a while and he has a comfortable job at the Dees, nothing indicates he really wants to take on a rebuilding side etc.

I’d be stoked for either of them, at this point its them or bust, I think we’d be under selling ourselves and shooting low to go for anyone else.

Clarkson strikes me like he would want NFL grade resourcing around to take on the gig.

Choco seems more the Sheedy type streetfighter and more likely to coach just because "he has to".

Left field question, but is there anything that prevents an assistant coach from saying "sorry guys, I know its midway through a season, but I'm not honouring the rest of my contract" and then jumping to a rival club to become a senior coach in the middle of the H&A season?

Aside from being regarded a traitor etc.

They were tipped for bottom four the year they won the flag.
Prime Nic Nat, Kennedy, Shuey, Hurn, McGovern, Gaff, Sheed, Darling, Yeo, Redden, LeCras, Cripps, Scofield, with upcoming guns in Flyin Ryan, Barass and Rioli… Who tipped them to be bottom four,, Boris Johnson?..

I’m surrounded by WCE fans; family, friends, work colleagues and just about all of them want Simmo out.

In fact, some of them are almost barracking for us to recruit him so Clarko or FIGJAM gets their gig..

Prime Nic Nat, Kennedy, Shuey, Hurn, McGovern, Gaff, Sheed, Darling, Yeo, Redden, LeCras, Cripps, Scofield, with upcoming guns in Flyin Ryan, Barass and Rioli… Who tipped them to be bottom four,, Boris Johnson?..

I’m surrounded by WCE fans; family, friends, work colleagues and just about all of them want Simmo out.

In fact, some of them are almost barracking for us to recruit him so Clarko or FIGJAM gets their gig..
Robert Walls

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The next coach has to be Clarkson or Williams and give them a 5 year contract.

None of the 2 year contract bullshit! Show some faith in your coach and get the * out of his way

I’m prepared to give Robbie Williams a crack , he’ll also have GF experience which is crucial for the rebuild. An all time low for supporters ATM, these 7 games can’t go quick enough.
Apparently he won't have GF experience until this year tho.

Left field question, but is there anything that prevents an assistant coach from saying "sorry guys, I know its midway through a season, but I'm not honouring the rest of my contract" and then jumping to a rival club to become a senior coach in the middle of the H&A season?

Aside from being regarded a traitor etc.

Ummm...the contract?

I think most clubs are happy to let their assistants break contracts to become senior coaches. I can't recall it being done mid-season though. Brad was an assistant at Collingwood with a couple of rounds to go when he got the North job. But he didn't go straight into the chair, and departed the Pies immediately. Clarkson and Sanderson were assistants at clubs about to win a flag but were booted during the finals once it was clear they were getting senior jobs elsewhere.

I’m prepared to give Robbie Williams a crack , he’ll also have GF experience which is crucial for the rebuild. An all time low for supporters ATM, these 7 games can’t go quick enough.

I Feel we could find a Better Man. Hopefully we don't do Somethin' Stupid and reappoint Noble. If we do we'll Come Undone and it will be a Millennium until we are Supreme.

Ummm...the contract?

I think most clubs are happy to let their assistants break contracts to become senior coaches. I can't recall it being done mid-season though. Brad was an assistant at Collingwood with a couple of rounds to go when he got the North job. But he didn't go straight into the chair, and departed the Pies immediately. Clarkson and Sanderson were assistants at clubs about to win a flag but were booted during the finals once it was clear they were getting senior jobs elsewhere.
Yeah I couldn't think of any mid-season examples either.

Just not sure whether assistant coaches contracts would typically have non-compete clauses that would prevent such a move.

Anyway, its all a bit pie in the sky.

Mark Williams.

I reckon we're 2 years too late on this one unfortunately.

Michael Voss and Mark Williams - Love
Ross Lyon - Hate

If we're looking at someone who's been around a bit and achieved success in their careers as either players, coaches or both, this is how I rate these guys.

Both St Kilda and Fremantle had the buildiings blocks of a premiership when Lyon took over. He left a steaming pile of s**t as a parting gift when he left both clubs once his shot at a flag was over. He wasn't able to demonstrate the ability to develop young talent at either club which is what we need most.

I know many probably don't rate Voss based on his years coaching Brisbane but the guy was thrown to the wolves and just wasn't ready. He's done a great job at Port Adelaide as the midfield coach with their midfield finishing the H&A season as the best clearance and tackling side this year. The tackling one is huge considering Port finished 4th for disposals too.

I've always been a big fan of Mark Williams and have always thought he deserved a second crack at it. What he did with that Port side throughout his coaching career was amazing. He built the side up to a flag in 04 before a few shaky years. Then re-juvenated the list taking them to 2nd in 2017. Yes they got flogged in the Grand Final which you could suggest overshadows their success that year but getting them back to the Grand final was an amazing accomplishment after a few sub-par years post '04.

I can't see the club going another inexperienced coach with the position we're in. I feel like it has to be someone who's been there and done it before and it seems these 3 names are already being thrown out there.

Anyway I bloody loved the Shaw appointment and was supportive of him from the very beginning. I hope he can get himself right and the club show him a lot of love.

I have been a bit 50/50 on Clarko to date mainly because the Hawks really dropped off towards the end of his reign but I'm now thinking that this might not matter much.

I was a kid barracking for the Kanga's in he early seventies, pre Barassi, a period not too dissimilar to now. Could Clarko emulate the great RDB? Potential draft concession/s might be a key factor in determining a level of interest in us and this/these are a unknown for now.

Anyway, my gut feeling is that we need a marquee coach to stabilise the list and incentivise others to join the cause!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back