Who will be our new coach next year?

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To put it plainly, people are ******* dreaming.

We will take what we can get.

If you think there are going to be highly rated assistants willing to walk into this mess, i.e career suicide, I've got a few things to sell you....

We have as much chance of signing Simon Goodwin as we do Clarkson.

Midas

Team Captain
May 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Clarke with Simmo as senior assistant, choco in development and a few of clarko's preferred assistants. Also an actual ruckman as ruck coach and a coach to purely focus on situational set ups and ball movement.
Roos and his mate to FRO and get someone around the club everyday working on player culture, relationships and leadership
Gotta dream big

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
First step is to put in a caretaker who doesn't produce another Shaw fool's gold scenario. That'd be John Blakey.

What we don't need is Jordan Russell getting in, telling them to "just play footy" and getting a few completely misleading wins as he tries to seize his own chance.

Fool us once.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
First step is to put in a caretaker who doesn't produce another Shaw fool's gold scenario. That'd be John Blakey.

What we don't need is Jordan Russell getting in, telling them to "just play footy" and getting a few completely misleading wins as he tries to seize his own chance.

Fool us once.

It's unfair but I'd almost rule out the caretaker being eligible. Blakey would be ideal given (I think) he has no desire to be a senior coach.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
It's unfair but I'd almost rule out the caretaker being eligible. Blakey would be ideal given (I think) he has no desire to be a senior coach.

Agree it's unfair but can't see a way around it. It's marrying on the rebound.

When Shaw, Ratten and Teague got their roles in 2019 there was an article about how rarely interim coaches actually succeed. You don't want to be completely biased by those odds but it's hard to ignore them especially now.

There is a very real possibility that players who have fallen out with the senior coach (not suggesting I know if this is the case) could lift their workrates temporarily out of spite towards their old mentor. But they'll still ultimately carry their issues forward unresolved and as per Shaw that little lift will soon evaporate.

Banging the one drum here obviously but hoping the board staple "I WILL NOT BE FOOLED BY SACKED COACH BOUNCE" to their foreheads this time round.

When Shaw, Ratten and Teague got their roles in 2019 there was an article about how rarely interim coaches actually succeed. You don't want to be completely biased by those odds but it's hard to ignore them especially now.

There is a very real possibility that players who have fallen out with the senior coach (not suggesting I know if this is the case) could lift their workrates temporarily out of spite towards their old mentor. But they'll still ultimately carry their issues forward unresolved and as per Shaw that little lift will soon evaporate.

Banging the one drum here obviously but hoping the board staple "I WILL NOT BE FOOLED BY SACKED COACH BOUNCE" to their foreheads this time round.
100%
Shaws problems started before Hub life. We won round 1 and round 2 then proceeded to lose three games in a row to more hardened sides before flying up to the hub and being done for.
They began

Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Look at the fixture. We have a tough 4 weeks which correlates with Walsh's review period before he is due to go overseas in August. Then we have 4 games to close out the season where we are not without a chance. If we happened to make a change in 4 weeks, it's entirely predictable that we would snag a couple of wins to finish the year off. Sacked coach bounce could easily happen.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Nathan Buckley

Took them to a GF

Has taught the youngsters at the Filth to get themselves winning games this year

Knows the pressures of the world being a high pick himself. We are getting two No 1 Draft Picks back to back…have TT and LDU under achieving

So I will batten down the hatches and cop the “yehhhh narrrrs”, but take off the hate glasses

Oh, and if we put another Coach in who has not Coached one match of AFL, well the Club has lost me

Nathan Buckley

Took them to a GF

Has taught the youngsters at the Filth to get themselves winning games this year

Knows the pressures of the world being a high pick himself. We are getting two No 1 Draft Picks back to back…have TT and LDU under achieving

So I will batten down the hatches and cop the “yehhhh narrrrs”, but take off the hate glasses

Oh, and if we put another Coach in who has not Coached one match of AFL, well the Club has lost me
No. Please, just no. I can't take off the 'you screwed us twice before' glasses.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nathan Buckley

Took them to a GF

I totally agree with you and said this about a month or two ago but it didn't fly around here.

The hatred and unforgiveness/grudge-holding from North supporters towards Buckley really is something else.

Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nathan Buckley

Took them to a GF

That last one's a tough call given that only one premiership in the last 20 seasons has featured a coach who was appointed to that position after having coached at least one match of AFL beforehand. That's to say, 19 out 20 premierships have been won by coaches who were appointed as novices.

I understand that you feel experience is essential right now, but if Nathan Buckley doesn't want to coach next year, and if Clarko has somewhere else to be, then your commitment to NMFC might hinge on us choosing Leon Cameron, Ross Lyon, or James Hird.

Thndr

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2015
Mick Martin school of bad looks.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
James Hird ...........................................................................

giphy (1).gif

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To put it plainly, people are ******* dreaming.

We will take what we can get.

If you think there are going to be highly rated assistants willing to walk into this mess, i.e career suicide, I've got a few things to sell you....

We have as much chance of signing Simon Goodwin as we do Clarkson.
You are dreaming if you don’t think every single assistant out there wouldn’t want a gig as senior coach!
Plenty of ‘failed’ coaches have gone straight back into assistant roles & then some have even come back into senior coaching roles recently.
It’s hardly a ‘career killer’…
Every assistant out their wants the top job, even at our basket case of a club!

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Fool us once.
If a caretaker can get a few wins out of this playing group before seasons end, I say we sign em up for life!!

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm with Gaso on this, has to be someone with experience.

Gotta be any of Clarko, Williams, Simmo or Buckley. And yes I would absolutely take Buckley, I don't care about the past history biz because beggars can't be choosers.

We can't f*ck around this time with unproven coaches, we need someone capable of getting to finals and grand finals.

Back