Prediction Who will be our next All Australian?

Who will be our next All Australian?

• Aaron Hall

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Jy Simpkin

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Ben McKay

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Tarryn Thomas

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • Luke Davies-Uniacke

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • Nick Larkey

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Cam Zurhaar

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Jaidyn Stephenson

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Tom Powell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jason Horne-Francis

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Will Phillips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hugh Greenwood

• Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This question was mentioned in the recent article from The Mongrel Punt and I thought it was interesting enough to deserve its own thread. Higgins was obviously our last All Australian in 2018, but there's a good 10-15 players who could possibly be our next player named.

A few options:

Aaron Hall
Played some great footy from round 7 onwards with 30.7 disposals and 115 supercoach points a game. Lost out on a lot of cheap touches too with Ziebell taking the majority of the kick-ins. A whole season of this form might be too hard for the AA selectors to ignore.

Jy Simpkin
Was in basically every AA team before his injury in 2020, and then had a back half of 2021 that was a lot stronger and led to his first Syd Barker medal. He took a while to get going last year, but from round 9 onwards averaged 28.4 touches and 5.9 clearances. Only Jack Steele, Christian Petracca, Jackson Macrae, Rory Laird, Clayton Oliver and Darcy Parish averaged both of those numbers for the whole season and 5 of those 6 were named All Australian.

Ben McKay
He arguably had an AA quality year last year but needs his reputation to catch up to his performance. He likely needs to add intercepting to his game to get wider recognition, but the talent is undeniably there.

Tarryn Thomas
Only Sam Walsh had a better year in 2021 according to AFL Player Ratings of all 22 and under players, which is more impressive when you realize that age group also includes players who are a year older than Thomas. From round 9 onwards he averaged 20.5 touches and 1.2 goals. The only players to have had more than 20 touches and 1 goal over the full season were Marcus Bontempelli, Christian Petracca and Jordan De Goey, and none of those kicked as many goals as Tarryn Thomas.

Interested in hearing who others think it could be, as there's a lot of really good contenders.

Those two (JS and CZ) and Tarryn.

If Cunners comes back and has a dominant year him as well.

AA is all about media hype and those three coiuld generate some plus Cunners if he makes it back and dominates - feel good story of the year sort of thing.

Will McKay and Larks ever be one of the 2 best in their position?

Cam is competing against the Dusty's and Bonts who get the mid/fwd position. Greene too.

Ill say Jy and LDU going agsinst the Wines and Olivers for the inside mid spot.

Larkey only ever gets selected if he wins the Coleman in my opinion. That's how it felt with Ben Brown too. If the team improves around him and he keeps his accuracy he certainly has a shot. For every 100 shots on goal he will kick 17 more goals than Harry McKay as an example. His age and experience profile is basically identical to McKay's was entering 2021 as well (51 games for Larkey and 48 for McKay, both entering their 6th year). 31 goals over his last 12 games in 2021 shows improvement and also that 60 goals next year isn't out of the question.

You've touched on why I don't think it'll be Zurhaar. Being a genuine medium forward is probably the hardest spot on the ground to be selected. You can look at this year with Bontempelli and Petracca in the forward line while Stringer, who I thought had a great year, missed out completely.

Jack Mahony

Think people underestimate just how good Goldy can continue to be. He hasn't shown really obvious signs of slowing down, and I don't think age will necessarily result in his performances falling away too much. In fact, I'm pretty bullish the presence of CCJ, and development of Xerri (hopefully!) will give him a chop out in the ruck, and allow him to push forward and add more goals into his game. Plus, I think the improved midfield will really amplify his importance, when hitouts to advantage = clearances.

Feel like Gawn, Grundy and potentially NicNat are ahead of him, but if they have a down season - I can easily see him being AA worthy - particularly with the trend of naming 2 rucks.

fNvYMVv.jpg

As much as I think Jy will be our next AA, the midfield positions are hotly contested and he doesn't impact the scoreboard enough to take on the half forward spots they like to reserve for mids these days, if he can get down and kick more goals I think he's every chance. I think we will have our next AA as a half forward or forward. TT and Zurhaar as suggested by others makes sense. Zurhaar was one of the highest rated general forwards in the second half of the year so if he can put it together for the whole season and we start getting some more wins I can see that as a possibility. TT as that half forward/midfield spot could be his if he continues his rise. However any of our young stars have the capability to be a AA level talent, just about making sure we get them there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could win the flag 2022 and not have a nomination. I'm with Dan above.

But if you pushed me l'd nominate Tarrant.

I was almost going to respond that it was a misconception that North players are somehow discriminated against unless premiers, and was about to use the 90s AA teams as evidence, but was actually somewhat shocked that really, it did take North to be either premiers or runners up to get more than one player in the squad. All those North teams that placed top 4 but not top 2, only had one player named (Carey in 94-95, and King in 97). We had Carey, and Harvey on the bench in 2000.

Thomas.

HFF - Could even be this season.

if he just improves 10% on his second half season form and emulates it over the season he’s like a 23 disposal / 35+ goal midfielder.

Ben doesn’t get enough intercepts to be AA. He’s likely to improve, but not that much imo.

Jy I’ll always maintain scopes to be our 5th best midfielder, he might jag one AA when we contend but I doubt it prior to that.

LDU is probably a dark horse if he completely explodes.

Zurhaar an outside chance.

I think Simpkin and Zurhaar will be fair chances of making the AA team, but I think Thomas will be a big show considering the improvement he showed in "21" and the match winning potential he has.

Out of that list. McKay and Tarryn Thomas.

Those two (JS and CZ) and Tarryn.

If Cunners comes back and has a dominant year him as well.

AA is all about media hype and those three coiuld generate some plus Cunners if he makes it back and dominates - feel good story of the year sort of thing.
yep. same as rising star, all just filler stuff for people to fawn over when they dont have flags.

Thomas.

HFF - Could even be this season.

if he just improves 10% on his second half season form and emulates it over the season he’s like a 23 disposal / 35+ goal midfielder.

Ben doesn’t get enough intercepts to be AA. He’s likely to improve, but not that much imo.

Jy I’ll always maintain scopes to be our 5th best midfielder, he might jag one AA when we contend but I doubt it prior to that.

LDU is probably a dark horse if he completely explodes.

Zurhaar an outside chance.

If Thomas improves to a 23 disposal / 35+ goal midfielder, he's going to place pretty well in the Brownlow too!

yep. same as rising star, all just filler stuff for people to fawn over when they dont have flags.

I did think about it and came to the conclusion the guy with most AA potential right now is Tarryn. He'll probably get one before anyone else. But we don't get them - anti North bias.

The rising star thing is interesting too.

In 2019 we got four didn't we? Larks, CZ, Tarryn and Bailey Scott. Bailey Scott was our best player in his first game, one where we got flogged brutally. So he stood out but otherwise he's a bit of an outlier. Statistically that was his best game till we beat Carlton last season. Possibly it could still be considered his best ever game - in his first ever game. He had 21 disposals and kicked 2 goals. (If TT averages 20+ possessions this year and kicks 40 goals he'll be considered so elite. He might win awards off the back of that.)

He hasn't really been better since except for 3 goals against Carlton once and 26 possessions against them last year.

But the other three all look elite and if we become a dominant force and win at least two flags with this group of players (I'd honestly settle for just one btw,) those three should play a major role in the sides we have running around.

So i don't mind rising star nominations on their own, especially if you end up with five RS winners (or more) in a team. Just cos it means they showed something early and that could be where they end up if they work to get the best out of themselves.

All Australian is a joke I reckon.

Some of the selections, players in spots they've never played in etc, in recent years have been baffling at best.

Anyway, LDU for mine. JHF maybe a year or two later. (for the Crows)

Last edited:
Back