Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black cross on a shirt,
Premiership cup still gleaming
Fifty years of hurt,
Never stopped me dreaming

So many jokes, so many sneers
But all those oh-so-nears
Wear you down
Through the years
But I still see that tackle by Hayes
And when Goddard played
Rooey marking the ball
And Milney dancing

Black cross on a shirt,
Fifty years of hurt,

I know that was then
But it could be again

He's coming home, He's coming home,
He's coming, Ross Lyon's coming home
He's coming, Ross Lyon's coming home...

untitled.png

This is a harsh view of things. He basically lost 2 flags by a kick. A couple of very minor things go the other way - the bounce, the foot poke - and he is a 2 time premiership coach up amongst the greats.

I wouldn't be unhappy if Lyon came back to Saints - he can coach and to say otherwise is just idiotic. But not sure I want to watch 3 or 4 years of Saints playing "Ross" type footy. Ratten has probably done enough to get the gig but I would give him a 2 year contract only. This team SHOULD be on the verge of finals - if we are still languishing in bottom half in 2021 then something has gone wrong with our development and game plan.
The bounce or foot poke means nothing- the AFL records just show we haven't won any grand finals since 1966. Sadly for Saint supporters, there's no "almost got there" premierships

well that is categorically wrong ... Geary Armo and Steven were all devo when Ross left us ... the only happy people when he went were guys like Tom Ledger ...
funny thing of all the players who dont like Ross the vast majority of them are hohum butt average fottballers .. what does that tell you ?
It doesn't tell us anything cause you are categorically wrong. Armo was the biggest hater of Lyon and the other two just didn't like him. We are on different sides here.im happy for you to switch

Black cross on a shirt,
Fifty years of hurt,

So many jokes, so many sneers
But all those oh-so-nears
Wear you down
Through the years
But I still see that tackle by Hayes
And when Goddard played
Rooey marking the ball
And Milney dancing

Black cross on a shirt,
Fifty years of hurt,

I know that was then
But it could be again

He's coming, Ross Lyon's coming home...
Yeah; nah

xwrcj.jpg

well that is categorically wrong ... Geary Armo and Steven were all devo when Ross left us ... the only happy people when he went were guys like Tom Ledger ...
funny thing of all the players who dont like Ross the vast majority of them are hohum butt average fottballers .. what does that tell you ?

tom ledger loved ross. ross was actively involved in his career to the point he was driving to him to his scans when he injured his hammy.

you wrote .. "Footy was done with him by that point" wrong....
the St Kilda era was career suicide for Watters .. there were/are non disclosure agreements between both partys but those inside the footy industry know what went on and lets just say Watters would only get a gig coaching the under 15's

that's blatantly untrue. i know of one WAFL club who would have had him back in a heart beat. he just wasn't interested.

All that Lyon karma talk is funny. I mean he wasn't going to coach them for eternity. Not many coaches have the luxury of retiring and almost all are sacked at some point.

I don't understand the hard feelings towards him. The best years of my life supporting the Saints were when he was coach.
If 08-11 were your best years watching the saints then surely 12-16 were your worst.
Yes he got us to grand finals, but he never won one and then bailed on a sinking ship which I think says more about the bloke than taking a very talented team to some grannys.

We can moan all we like about who is going to get the job , at the end of the day we will still go and watch the boys , if you dont your not a real supporter
Yeah, but in fairness we've all spent the last couple of years devoting a fair percentage of our weekend to watching mostly bloody awful football. It's moan-worthy, I think. So I think people have a bit of a right to feel invested in this next coaching decision... We'd better not f' it up!

Are you joking. He is a self promoting fool who has good contacts that have kept the whole saga about him being a great coach alive. Saints and now Freo have called him out

Sounds like you've got a good fairy tale that you've told yourself so many times that you now believe it.

So thanks Wayne, but I'll go on the opinion of Nick Riewoldt, Brendon Goddard, Nick Dal Santo over your good self.

All of which rate RTB as a great coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the majority of the Saints players would know more of what Ross Lyon is like than non-players like us would know.
They also probably have a very good idea of why the club sacked him with a year left on his contract.

It's sounding more and more like another Lyon v Footy Dept Boss showdown.

Lyon decided that battling Pelchen wasn't worth it & bolted.

Freo decided that Bell was more important and went with his recommendation to get rid of Lyon.

In the long run it's clear that StK backed the wrong horse... the question is, have Freo too?

It doesn't tell us anything cause you are categorically wrong. Armo was the biggest hater of Lyon and the other two just didn't like him. We are on different sides here.im happy for you to switch

It probably should tell you that Armo, Gears and Stuv were fringe players at the time.

The media gave a good comparison on coaching styles between the eagles and dockers after attending their training sessions all year. Dockers spend the majority of their training doing structure drills. The eagles spend the majority of their time on skills.

Dockers skills were appalling this year and previous years and even more concerning, they had no structure.
Doesn't matter what the structures are if the players don't have the skills to execute.

The club has already spoken to the coaches necessary. They already know what exisiting coaches bring. The formal process has always been a waste of time. Preconceived conclusions are already made. The club already knows who they want and have already chosen the coach. It’s just a process to appease the public and media. There’s not someone that suddenly pops up out of the blue that gets the gig - these are decisions made months before the ‘process’. It’s a fanstasy to think otherwise.
I'm.not quite sure how to process this post TBH...

Ummm - how do you find the "best available out there" without having a "process".

They are a necessary evil unless you are happy to have a dictatorial President who has control over every action in the club. That might work in the NBA where clubs are "toys" for the rich but thankfully that's not the case in the AFL.
Point taken, however the AFL is a tight knit community and searching for a new coach isn't like a general job application.

Clubs know who is looking, available or rated already, so it's a very narrow field to begin with.

Then you eliminate contracted candidates and discount assistants who have told you they aren't interested.

Most of the above will have been done already, and most likely since mid season.

If 08-11 were your best years watching the saints then surely 12-16 were your worst.
Yes he got us to grand finals, but he never won one and then bailed on a sinking ship which I think says more about the bloke than taking a very talented team to some grannys.
00-02 were my worst, we were absolutely terrible back then, 4-5 wins a year, if that. At least we had a few 10+ win seasons from 12-16.

Anyway I don't have it in for Ross, he was hellbent on delivering us a flag and was 2 moments away from being a back-to-back premiership coach. When you haven't one a flag in 140 years and the chance to win one is there you do whatever you can. Yes the list suffered but we only complain about it in hindsight. If we had won a flag I doubt anyone cared about us not playing the kids.

Sounds like you've got a good fairy tale that you've told yourself so many times that you now believe it.

So thanks Wayne, but I'll go on the opinion of Nick Riewoldt, Brendon Goddard, Nick Dal Santo over your good self.

All of which rate RTB as a great coach.
Good on you. I'm just not as gullable as you

Out of the blue to the public, yes. To the board, I highly doubt it. They would have known his interest long before the first meeting..
I think it was R. Walls who was on the committee and suggested they talk to Ross, my memory from it was that Ross was a very last minute candidate

Yeah, but in fairness we've all spent the last couple of years devoting a fair percentage of our weekend to watching mostly bloody awful football. It's moan-worthy, I think. So I think people have a bit of a right to feel invested in this next coaching decision... We'd better not f' it up!
I dont give a Ratts ass who our coach is and neither will anybody else as long as we are winning games and making our way towards that 2nd premiership , we dont need this to be a popularity contest and quiet frankly 99.9 % of us here wouldnt have a clue who is the best coach for us is

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back