Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recruit lawyers to law firms and I can tell you all of them work 70 hours a week minimum. It's crazy and only something you'd consider if you truly love what you're doing. If they are just in it to make money they'll burn out. Like Real Estate agents. Piece of piss to get certified but then incredibly hard to sell and keep selling. A lot drop off because of it.

I know lots of lawyers, most of them hate it, are medicated and depressed but the money is so good in comparison to anything else that they struggle on. Partnerships put you into ridiculous money for a stressful but not overly taxing job. My wife has moved into psych and she can't believe how bad the pay is in comparison and it's going to be on the back of 6 years of study not the few years of law. It's pretty bad for women especially where they miss out on children to keep their foot in for promotion and opportunity. If you leave the law for a year it's hard to get back in too.

My wife left a big firm and went in house after kids because it was too much of a hit to our lifestyle.

So you would rather ridicule me than just accept we have differing opinions. No wonder you like Lyon

Where have I ridiculed you? You've made it clear in the past that you are ITK and I corrected a spelling mistake that you made.

I do believe you were ridiculing me for being gullible... or was it gullable?

You don't 'do' differing opinions by the way, you go on the attack every time.

I think the majority of the Saints players would know more of what Ross Lyon is like than non-players like us would know.
They also probably have a very good idea of why the club sacked him with a year left on his contract.
did you quote the wrong post ?
i was replying to the comment that Armo Gears and Stuv were glad Lyon walked out on the club ... what Lyon's relationship with Freo players i couldnt care less about ... but history shows players who are in the upper reaches of players in this game are big Ross Lyon fans .. the only ones who bag him out are the duds who really didnt do much with their career

did you quote the wrong post ?
i was replying to the comment that Armo Gears and Stuv were glad Lyon walked out on the club ... what Lyon's relationship with Freo players i couldnt care less about ... but history shows players who are in the upper reaches of players in this game are big Ross Lyon fans .. the only ones who bag him out are the duds who really didnt do much with their career
such as shane kersten

It doesn't tell us anything cause you are categorically wrong. Armo was the biggest hater of Lyon and the other two just didn't like him. We are on different sides here.im happy for you to switch
i dont know where you are getting your info from but Armo most certainly did not hate Lyon ... the fact Lyon gave up Ball because we had armo the fact Armo signed contract extentions under lyon and the fact that he has publicly spoken about how he learnt a lot from Lyon says you are on the wrong end of info there ... Ross has his haters bt Stuv Gears and Armo are not part of that group

tom ledger loved ross. ross was actively involved in his career to the point he was driving to him to his scans when he injured his hammy.
if you talk to Ledger he doesnt have many glowing stories to tell about Ross ... he may have liked him but i dont think he cares for him much now days

Where have I ridiculed you? You've made it clear in the past that you are ITK and I corrected a spelling mistake that you made.

I do believe you were ridiculing me for being gullible... or was it gullable?

You don't 'do' differing opinions by the way, you go on the attack every time.
Ridicule - try #
Attack - coming from you. Wow
ITK - I'm not and have never said or implied I was. More fake news from you
You like Lyon But I don't.
The end

It probably should tell you that Armo, Gears and Stuv were fringe players at the time.
were they though ????
Armo played 13 games in year two and 9 games in 2010... after that he played 22 and 21 games in 11 & 12 ...
he was a young prospect not a fringe
Gears played 15 games in 2009 and 19 in 2010 then in 2012 played 20 games ... he was a regular but was injured a bit early
Jack played 9 games in his first two years but then played 21 games in each of the next two....

so none of them were fringe ... they were young players geting tastes early before being ready to go by their 2nd or third years ...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point taken, however the AFL is a tight knit community and searching for a new coach isn't like a general job application.

Clubs know who is looking, available or rated already, so it's a very narrow field to begin with.

Then you eliminate contracted candidates and discount assistants who have told you they aren't interested.

Most of the above will have been done already, and most likely since mid season.
Scott, Ratten, Voss and now Lyon are the currently available experienced coaches (could add Hinkley on Monday) then look at the extensive number of capable assistants (Longmuir, Barker, Burns, Rawlings, Caracella and that's without looking at the prodigal son possibilities of Banger or Lenny) and your narrow field is already 10 or more - so my point is simply - what do you do then?

As I've said all along, the club would then short list on gut feel, industry chit chat and existing knowledge which would lead you to probably have Scott and Ratten as the experienced coach options and you'd want to have a look at least 2 or 3 of the assistants as well.

I'm not keen on the untried prodigal son (In fact I think it would be a mistake for Freo to pick up Longmuir as a first up senior coach) but I'd be more than happy with the club interviewing any of the assistants I've named.

It would be amateur hour if the club thought they could effectively assess the capabilities of any of those current assistant coaches purely on the on the basis of the gut feel, a few chats in a coffee shop and a slap on the back from their existing senior coach.

Thankfully the club is a bit smarter than that.

e

why not? he took them to 3 grand finals. they don't speak ill of him.
they wouldnt have replaced Jarrad Schofield for him and Beau Wardman seems to be going fairly well at the moment so you wouldnt sack him for Watters ... i highly doubt Subiaco would place Watters as head coach of the league team ... maybe the colts or the ressies but not the league

Scott, Ratten, Voss and now Lyon are the currently available experienced coaches (could add Hinkley on Monday) then look at the extensive number of capable assistants (Longmuir, Barker, Burns, Rawlings, Caracella and that's without looking at the prodigal son possibilities of Banger or Lenny) and your narrow field is already 10 or more - so my point is simply - what do you do then?

As I've said all along, the club would then short list on gut feel, industry chit chat and existing knowledge which would lead you to probably have Scott and Ratten as the experienced coach options and you'd want to have a look at least 2 or 3 of the assistants as well.

I'm not keen on the untried prodigal son (In fact I think it would be a mistake for Freo to pick up Longmuir as a first up senior coach) but I'd be more than happy with the club interviewing any of the assistants I've named.

It would be amateur hour if the club thought they could effectively assess the capabilities of any of those current assistant coaches purely on the on the basis of the gut feel, a few chats in a coffee shop and a slap on the back from their existing senior coach.

Thankfully the club is a bit smarter than that.

e
So we are basicly arguing the same thing.

Only difference being that i believe they have already narrowed it down based on who's available and who isn't.

Of those you mentioned, I reckon Ratten, Lyon and Scott would be on the radar.

They would know by now if Scott is interested or not.

Lenny not ready for a senior gig. Harvey will be interviewed.

Caracalla gone to Essrndon and if they overlook Lyon, he will get the gig.

Longmuir has already been in talks with Freo. The leaves the list of usual lucky dip contenders IMO... Of which none were considered as alternatives by North and Carlton.

BTW I don't think Hinkley will get the arse. If he does then they deserve everything they cop.

Last edited:
they wouldnt have replaced Jarrad Schofield for him and Beau Wardman seems to be going fairly well at the moment so you wouldnt sack him for Watters ... i highly doubt Subiaco would place Watters as head coach of the league team ... maybe the colts or the ressies but not the league

you're miles off on this one. who said anything about sacking Beau... the position was only filled last off-season ;-)

like i said, subiaco have no issue with him. he's just not interested in coaching anymore.

He could be very good for us but only under the right circumstances which seems very unlikely.

His manager/lawyer John Gdanski who is a saints tragic and ex board member has had a bit to say today. Assuming he’s not just spinning things it looks like his days as a head coach may be over. He’s talking about director of coaching roles although the right job may change his mind.
I'd say that John would like him.back in a non coaching role at the club.

All comes down to what Ross wants.

Got a feeling there may be more changes to come.

The club has already spoken to the coaches necessary. They already know what exisiting coaches bring. The formal process has always been a waste of time. Preconceived conclusions are already made. The club already knows who they want and have already chosen the coach. It’s just a process to appease the public and media. There’s not someone that suddenly pops up out of the blue that gets the gig - these are decisions made months before the ‘process’. It’s a fanstasy to think otherwise.
1687amb.jpg

The "process" you've described is fine if all that's ever going to happen is that you recycle existing coaches but it isn't sufficient for untried senior coaches.

I'd be bitterly disappointed if the club thinks recycling an existing coach is the ONLY option when you have quality assistant coaches like Rawlings, Barker, Burns, Longmuir waiting in the wings.
Why do you continually ignore the fact that the club has already spoken to and short listed candidates?

Is it a perceived lack of updates or transparency that's grinding your gears?

Seriously curious to know...

Yes but I just want to get a feel of your opinion of coaches because if you think the best we have had since jeans is no good then you will struggle to find a good one. Surely it isn’t hard to answer.

You mean the guy who DESTROYED St. Kilda's list and the club is only now recovering after 8 years? That guy?

8 Years in the wilderness because of a failure to plan and then catching the first flight out of the club when a better offer came along.

HARD HARD PASS on making that mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back