Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good reflection of whether we are heading in the right direction will be our B&F results.

I think Marshall, Billings, Steele & Gresh will be top 5. Ross probably makes up the top 5.

It’s a good sign when 4/5 are all under 24 & yet to hit their prime.

I’m actually pretty bullish about next year. I think we’ll win 10-11 games. A lot of improvement left in this list.
Yep our young guys stood up last night which is promising. They may not do it consistently enough at the moment but that's okay, at least we can see that they can become players.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
A good reflection of whether we are heading in the right direction will be our B&F results.

I think Marshall, Billings, Steele & Gresh will be top 5. Ross probably makes up the top 5.

I’m actually pretty bullish about next year. I think we’ll win 10-11 games. A lot of improvement left in this list.
Who are our older players who could finish top 5. I doubt there is any

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hopefully 20 games out of Geary, Hanneberry & Carlisle plus natural improvement from the younger players & 10 wins isn’t out of the question.
Yep, I agree with that. Our backline has been good this year, which is amazing given we've had Carlisle, Geary and Webster missing big parts of the year. I think the forward line personnel is ok, it just a different system, which will come with a new coach. We need more class in the middle. Getting Steven back would be huge, Hannebury playing more regularly would help.
I still think the midfield is the biggest thing holding us back. We need to keep doing everything we can to try to get free agents, hope Clark and Bytel develop quickly and hope there's a gun mid at our first pick.

Might for a pre season but then ability takes over. Our improvement will come mainly from the players not the coaching. We need a great trade period
Fair enough. I think it has to be a burden to them in some way. One of their mates being spoken about negatively for two years now. Maybe some players want him to resign just for his health - I'm sure it's been tough for Richo.

Well upon reflection I think we have the makings of a pretty good list. Look at our top performers last night. Marshall Clark Billings Gresham Steele Dunstan. Throw Wilkie Battle and King in there. Lonie has been good this year. Carlisle if he stays. Parker and Long. Coffield has been getting a run of games now and can only get better.

I have a sense of optimism about us based on our performance last night and the fact we are moving in a different direction from the dour brand that Richo plays. I think our boys would flourish under a coach who let them play on instinct & play a more attacking brand. Delist/trade players that are no good/injured like Longer, Pierce, McCartin, White, Armitage, Rice etc. An A Grader or two plus a top five pick and we will improve. Heard Brad Hill is a good chance. I feel like a weight lifted off my shoulders now that Richo is about to walk away from the position. I can't imagine what the players and those closer to it feel.

I don't disagree, I was just saying "all caretakers will fail because of past history" isn't a balanced approach.

I don't disagree, I was just saying "all caretakers will fail because of past history" isn't a balanced approach.
I don't think anyone has said that though. All I've said is that I don't take much from the recent form of North and Carlton and that it's more unlikely than likely that interim coaches will be successful.

Hopefully 20 games out of Geary, Hanneberry & Carlisle plus natural improvement from the younger players & 10 wins isn’t out of the question.

We should get a soft draw and a bit of injury luck must be on the cards. Easily make up ground with that. Not many weak teams is the only issue.

Well upon reflection I think we have the makings of a pretty good list. Look at our top performers last night. Marshall Clark Billings Gresham Steele Dunstan. Throw Wilkie Battle and King in there. Lonie has been good this year. Carlisle if he stays. Parker and Long. Coffield has been getting a run of games now and can only get better.

I have a sense of optimism about us based on our performance last night and the fact we are moving in a different direction from the dour brand that Richo plays. I think our boys would flourish under a coach who let them play on instinct & play a more attacking brand. Delist/trade players that are no good/injured like Longer, Pierce, McCartin, White, Armitage, Rice etc. An A Grader or two plus a top five pick and we will improve. Heard Brad Hill is a good chance. I feel like a weight lifted off my shoulders now that Richo is about to walk away from the position. I can't imagine what the players and those closer to it feel.

What I wouldn’t give to be a Lions supporter right now.
From 5 wins last season to this....hopefully we can be half as good next season.

From 45

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll say it again.. if you think North or even Carlton have completely overhauled their game plan and the players have perfected it in a matter of weeks, then you either have rocks in your head or very ignorant..

The players from both clubs have had a new voice to listen to. The environment is no longer stale or a grind to come into work everyday to. Players feel as though playing with less pressure, having more fun or some players are just playing for their careers and trying to impress their new coach..

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
We should get a soft draw and a bit of injury luck must be on the cards. Easily make up ground with that. Not many weak teams is the only issue.
That post is so pre season 2019. I said ii then and say it now. Never think you will improve because of players coming back from injury because it could be worse. Improvement comes from the fixture and improved players and better players.

Reckon Wilkie will be Top 10 which is remarkable.

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
100%.. He has blown my mind how smoothly he has transitioned from SANFL to AFL.

He has definitely made this season worthwhile
He has looked like a hundred game player from round one. A brilliant pick up. If Roberton does next year I think the two of them together would be a fantastic combination.

The Jack

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Reckon Wilkie will be Top 10 which is remarkable.
Agree. Reckon he's been down a touch the last few weeks and I was worried he was running out of a bit of steam, which probably would have been fair enough considering.
Was back to his reliable best again yesterday and has done an enormous job this year.

That post is so pre season 2019. I said ii then and say it now. Never think you will improve because of players coming back from injury because it could be worse. Improvement comes from the fixture and improved players and better players.
If you can beat everyone ( ie 2009 ) the fixture makes no difference at all.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
True but you aren’t a good side the fixture can help
Hasn’t really helped this year and it’s been extraordinarily good.. can’t hurt, but not a derterming factor for mine. Fixtures for me are really irrelevant in even years. Who would have thought playing Melb twice this year was gold. Or playing Bris twice was terrible. Even what looks an easy/hard draw when announced can turn on its head..

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Hasn’t really helped this year and it’s been extraordinarily good.. can’t hurt, but not a derterming factor for mine. Fixtures for me are really irrelevant in even years. Who would have thought playing Melb twice this year was gold. Or playing Bris twice was terrible. Even what looks an easy/hard draw when announced can turn on its head..
I meant in hindsight.

That's what the AFL has done is made a very even comp. GC are the only really poo club ATM. When Bradddy Scott was coaching teams to prelims there were about half a dozen poo clubs that were as good as walk overs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back