Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Browne has repeatedly suggested that Brad Scott's future at North Melbourne was in doubt and links him to St Kilda.

Now Brad has announced his cessation as coach of North Melbourne and will hold a press release tomorrow to announce details.

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Tom Browne has repeatedly suggested that Brad Scott's future at North Melbourne was in doubt and links him to St Kilda.

Now Brad has announced his cessation as coach of North Melbourne and will hold a press release tomorrow to announce details.
Oh FFS. Hasn't the football industry learned its lesson about not giving former Malthouse assistants a job?

Scotty Watters
Mark Neeld
Brendon McCartney
Brad Scott ...

Then again, I don't hate the idea of Scott as Sandy coach. We have Hamill (who has only ever been an assistant with us), while other VFL teams have experienced coaches like Choco, Gary Ayres, Andy Collins and Jade Rawlings overseeing their teams. Knights was at Geelong for years too. Plus Scott has spent the last 10 weeks coaching a VFL quality list at North so he understands the challenges.

Seriously though, I would be very surprised if B.Scott takes a job with another AFL club this year. So I wouldn't think its really a question for now.

Last edited:

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nope. Unlikely.

No way he will announce a new club tomorrow. That would mean he announces it before the club announces they ate sacking their coach.

I'd wager the rumour is bs.

More like he will clarify his decision why, a club will then sack their coach and announce his appointment.

Anyway, really don't want him. We have our man waiting in the wings
Don't * it up Saints.

tenor (3).gif

Can't stand his demeanor in the coaches box. Carries on like a pork chop when North get a free kick against them.
But not in an angry Clarko or Craig Bellamy way but in a way that 'he looks just like a nuff nuff supporter not a coach.
id be wrapt if he goes to Carlton.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the only reason people in the media have linked us to Scott is because Richo is under the pump and they have tried to put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

There is a genuine link to Carlton though and if he has left because he has another role to go to then it would be there.

To he honest though, I think North just wanted him gone. I'm not reading too much into it. He's not a great coach.

He did get to a couple of prelims but they were never actually a real threat under him.

Is Scott an upgrade on Richo?? Maybe. Probably.

Does Ratten stay if his good mate Richo gets the flick??

Why not just give Ratten the gig??

Which ever option keeps Ratten at the Saints for as long as possible s the best option.
As much as a lot of peeps on here won't want to hear any news about Richo staying.
I think we win against Carlton today.
Then during the rest of the season we scrape up a few more wins.
So take the 4 wins we have, add a win today(hopefully) and even if we only win 2 or 3 more games after that that gives us 7 or 8 for the yr.
So that doubles last yrs win tally even though we have had a big injury list.
Sorry peeps but Richo ain't going nowhere

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
As much as a lot of peeps on here won't want to hear any news about Richo staying.
I think we win against Carlton today.
Then during the rest of the season we scrape up a few more wins.
So take the 4 wins we have, add a win today(hopefully) and even if we only win 2 or 3 more games after that that gives us 7 or 8 for the yr.
So that doubles last yrs win tally even though we have had a big injury list.
Sorry peeps but Richo ain't going nowhere
I’ll think we’ll win that as a minimum. And TBH don’t care if Richo Stays or goes. As long as we keep improving and competing I’m confident the Ratten/Richo combo is good enough

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
We have an important game to win today. I really hope we're not engaging in any coaching antics at this stage of the season. If we wanted to change coaches it was in the off-season.

For those reasons I find the rumours extremely unlikely, but you never know.

From 45

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
View attachment 680620
Can't stand his demeanor in the coaches box. Carries on like a pork chop when North get a free kick against them.
But not in an angry Clarko or Craig Bellamy way but in a way that 'he looks just like a nuff nuff supporter not a coach.
id be wrapt if he goes to Carlton.
C'mon man , we can't dismiss a coaching candidate based on his antics in a coaching box. It's not the same thought mentality when we elect Prime Ministers.

Plus I'd rather his antics than watching another season of Heimi in the box thinking about what's he having for dinner that night.

As I've said previously, Scott seems to get the best out of his players by allowing them to play to their strengths/instincts. Our players seem to be crying out for a coach like that. Geary would agree to that.

It would be ideal to have a Scott/Ratts combo.. The amount of footy knowledge between the 2 , would be immeasurable.

News spews , they also have mentioned Carlton and Sydney and god knows who else , hardly worth the paper its written on im guessing

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
I reckon Scott will go to Carlton within the next 2 weeks.

I’m trying to recall the last time a coach swapped clubs mid-year. To be honest I can’t ever recall it.

I think it’s more likely Scott will be appointed coach from 2020 and that Bolton will coach out the remainder of this year or be replaced by one of his assistant coaches.

For what it’s worth, on a Herald-Sun podcast several weeks ago Jon Anderson suggested NM and Sydney may swap coaches at the end of the year.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
News spews , they also have mentioned Carlton and Sydney and god knows who else , hardly worth the paper its written on im guessing

Doubt change of coaches now no point for mine.

Personally think Longmire coaches North even more so because David King says he won’t.

Wouldn’t surprise me there are three teams with new coaches next year.

C'mon man , we can't dismiss a coaching candidate based on his antics in a coaching box. It's not the same thought mentality when we elect Prime Ministers.

Plus I'd rather his antics than watching another season of Heimi in the box thinking about what's he having for dinner that night.

As I've said previously, Scott seems to get the best out of his players by allowing them to play to their strengths/instincts. Our players seem to be crying out for a coach like that. Geary would agree to that.

It would be ideal to have a Scott/Ratts combo.. The amount of footy knowledge between the 2 , would be immeasurable.
Like it was posted earlier. Do we want a coach who is doing worse than our own coach at the moment.
North have a reasonably full list and they were very bullish about their drafting for this season.
And they've gone backwards.
It's a big NO from me.

And if you were talking about Heimi from get smart. It's actually Hymie.
images (9).jpeg
:p

Last edited:
I’m trying to recall the last time a coach swapped clubs mid-year. To be honest I can’t ever recall it.

I think it’s more likely Scott will be appointed coach from 2020 and that Bolton will coach out the remainder of this year or be replaced by one of his assistant coaches.

For what it’s worth, on a Herald-Sun podcast several weeks ago Jon Anderson suggested NM and Sydney may swap coaches at the end of the year.

You are probably right, but i still think we will know about shortly.

I don't care where he goes, as long as it isn't St Kilda

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

No way Jose.

Please no.

Just no.

Nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back