Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, apart from bf posters, facebook trolls and people stfan talks to I reckon the vast majority of rank and file members will be fine with scott until proven otherwise.....

he's a bit like the romans.....I guess I meant it won't cause a mass reduction in membership

I know at least 6 people who are members who don't want him. I think he'll cost memberships unless he wins the first 10+ games he coaches convincingly. The longer Shaw goes on winning the worse he looks as well. We are literally trading out Richo for a Richo clone.

I really can't see any benefit in getting him, he's not a popular fan choice, his record doesn't look that good, he won't bring players to the club, he's not from a great system and he's giving off the perception of being out of date.

It looks like a really risky decision.

How do we know you're not a double agent supporter?

Seems odd that you're the only Saints supporter in your family...

My dad and kids do...well my wife supports them from a distance too. My mum doesn't follow footy at all. We had a family member play at Carlton so took a few over with him. My son claims he follows GWS now though actually.

I prefer to think of it as trading out "nice bloke " Richo for "bad-bloke" Richo clone.

So he's still s**t but an angry pissed off little man as well?

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know at least 6 people who are members who don't want him. I think he'll cost memberships unless he wins the first 10+ games he coaches convincingly. The longer Shaw goes on winning the worse he looks as well. We are literally trading out Richo for a Richo clone.

I really can't see any benefit in getting him, he's not a popular fan choice, his record doesn't look that good, he won't bring players to the club, he's not from a great system and he's giving off the perception of being out of date.

Cannot agree more with you on this one.

Have to remember that both he and Allen were at north last year and couldn't attract high quality players.

He has lived in his own bubble of mediocrity for 10 years IMO.

Ratten ticks all the boxes that fans were arguing Richo does not.

There is no doubt that graduates from Clarkson University are the best way to go.

Apart from Bolton who wasn't rated over there and pulled a massive swindle on the Blews.

Didn't Scott win the 1st nine at North and miss finals

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Ratten would of gone to another club if he was not given the coach option when joining - as he has already said he will take a coaching role when it's offered.
We don't need Scott - anyone who quits in the middle of a season we don't need - at least Richardson has battled to the end.

From 45

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

How would it look bad on Scott with the way North are travelling?

Do you honestly think that Shaw has revamped the whole game plan to start all over again in a matter of weeks?

That's just absolute hogwash

Do you honestly think that Shaw has revamped the whole game plan to start all over again in a matter of weeks?

So what do you put the huge turnaround down to?

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Retirement from playing saw Scott as the development coach at Collingwood, where he had success working closely with a number of young Magpies and other players.[1]

Scott was also a candidate for the vacant coaching position at Richmond, however he believed his skill set suited North far better and was appointed as North Melbourne coach for the 2010 season, signing a three-year contract on 17 August 2009.

Scott had a terrible start to his coaching career, with three of the first four matches resulting in losses, including a 104-point thrashing from 2009 runners-up St Kilda. Since then, North made steady progress and finished outside the top eight on percentage.

Although North Melbourne missed the finals for the second year in succession, Scott was rewarded with a contract extension as Kangaroos coach, with president James Brayshaw stating that he was satisfied with the club's progress under Scott. He led the team to 8th position and a spot in the finals at the end of the 2012 home and away season, with the side winning ten of its last twelve matches (including six in a row between Rounds 16–21) since a 115-point loss to Hawthorn in Round 10. The club was then defeated in their elimination final match against West Coast by 96 points.

Following North Melbourne's disappointing season in 2013 after losing 10 matches by 16 points or less, the 2014 season began with a positive outlook as Nick Dal Santo was added to North Melbourne's list as a restricted free agent at the end of the 2013 season. With North Melbourne's now silky midfield looking strong, the success of the 2014 season saw Scott lead North Melbourne into his second finals series as coach after finishing 6th at the end of the premiership season. Winning their elimination final match against Essendon by 12 points, then defeating Geelong in the semi final to progress to Scotts' first preliminary final as coach against Sydney, the 71-point loss ended North Melbourne's finals run.

The beginning of the 2015 season once again saw Scott make some vital inclusions to North Melbourne's list, with the addition of tall-forward Jarrad Waite and medium forward/midfielder Shaun Higgins. Despite finishing 8th, Scott was under scrutiny after a highly controversial decision to rest 9 players in Round 23 against Richmond, which was deemed by many to be a form of 'tanking'. Scott's 'plan' however, proved to be successful after defeating Richmond in the elimination final the following week by 17 points and going on to defeat Sydney in the semi final to become the first ever team to reach a preliminary final after finishing 8th in the premiership season. North Melbourne's run was ended by West Coast at Domain Stadium by 25 points.

Scott currently ranks 3rd for most AFL/VFL games coached without making a grand final and is the only one of those three coaches to do it solely at the one club.[2] Scott resigned as Kangaroos coach on 26 May 2019.[3]

Statistics

Sounds like Richo this year, comes out like a rodeo rider and limps home like a tired toddler on a hobby horse.

He led the team to 8th position and a spot in the finals at the end of the 2012 home and away season, with the side winning ten of its last twelve matches (including six in a row between Rounds 16–21) since a 115-point loss to Hawthorn in Round 10. The club was then defeated in their elimination final match against West Coast by 96 points.

Thought he won the 1st 9 or 10 won year
Very unlike me to be wrong

He's backed kids in who Scott had told the club were no good, he's built the game plan around the sides strengths as well. They have all these hard nuts, he's made them a hard nut team. He's made some nuanced changes in the game plan rather than kick it to Brown. North supporters are ringing in talking about winning the premiership the way they are playing. I rate what Shaw has done to turn the side around from the dull lifeless corpse that they looked when he took over. When people called in to rate lists North were down with us as shitter than Carlton and GC on SEN before he took over.

Players interviewing for the next coach

In which case let’s dump Richo right now!
Seriously though, I think there’s more to it than just that. They are a completely different team.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
He led the team to 8th position and a spot in the finals at the end of the 2012 home and away season, with the side winning ten of its last twelve matches (including six in a row between Rounds 16–21) since a 115-point loss to Hawthorn in Round 10. The club was then defeated in their elimination final match against West Coast by 96 points.

Thought he won the 1st 9 or 10 won year
Very unlike me to be wrong
Close just wasn't his first year , which had to be because the side he had was a cot case

Aug 13, 2016
South Gippsland
AFL Club
St Kilda

The first part is anecdotal but the second part contains some very fine points Gringo.
These are a convincing platform to launch an argument to the whole debate and I really can’t counter any of them off the top of my head without research.
Well done on lifting the standard and presenting an argument lacking in emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back