Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
About 8 weeks ago...

Come on, you know what I mean!
They didn’t look any further than Shaw. They didn’t even bother to interview anyone, let alone Harves.

Obviously I mean before this season.

Plugger_87

All Australian
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bring in banga, surround him with excellent assistants and set him up to succeed. Has plenty of experience and is a saints man. No other man id love to lead us to that elusive flag

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
So Teague now has the Carlton job. They only interviewed Voss and Teague.

Seriously it baffles me that for one of the most sought after jobs in Australian sport, head coach of an AFL team, that North interview one guy and Carlton two. I really hope we at least speak to a few candidates because ours is the main prize now.

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
I really thought Carlton would have done a more intensive search. North seemingly went for their old players, missed out, and then settled on Shaw. Who knows though, might be like Hawthorn missing out on Wallace all those years ago.

I like the romanticism of Harves, but my head says Ratts really.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
So Teague now has the Carlton job. They only interviewed Voss and Teague.

Seriously it baffles me that for one of the most sought after jobs in Australian sport, head coach of an AFL team, that North interview one guy and Carlton two. I really hope we at least speak to a few candidates because ours is the main prize now.
Ratten

Harvey

Lade

Meldrum

That's 4...

LeonardHayes87

All Australian
Oct 13, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Feel for Harves in a way.

Comes back as assistant under Ross.

Appointed interim coach in 2011 for 3 weeks (which wasn’t even necessary) and then loses out to Scott Watters.

Goes elsewhere for obvious reasons and to gain further experience.

Dips his toe in the water again post Scott Watters but is over looked for Richo.

Comes back for an interview this time with Ratts paying $1.05 to get the gig.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

Appointed interim coach in 2011 for 3 weeks (which wasn’t even necessary) and then loses out to Scott Watters.

Dips his toe in the water again post Scott Watters but is over looked for Richo.

Interim coach?

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

Perhaps he should have read the room better before going public with his intentions?

Very awkward for him.and the club if he doesn't get it IMO.

The unfortunate thing for Harvey is if he gets the job (which I don't think he will), the general perception will be he only got it because he is a legend of the club and not because he was the best candidate available.

And I dont think anyone could disagree with that. Looking at Ratten's CV, his experience, his relationship with the players, his actual output while caretaker - I don't see how any other candidate could actually compare to what he has to offer.

I know the club is all about going through the process to cover themselves if it goes wrong but the quicker we just hire Ratten, the better we will be as a club.
Harvey also has never coached a team in his right

Carra is back at Essendon next year.

Longmuir, I have no idea. Highly unlikely.

Longmuir is probably happy to wait a year and go back to Freo after Lyon exits. Apparently highly regarded, which means any coach under pressure doesn't want him around.

Good for Richo to be highly sought after. I didn't think he would deliver a flag, but no meaningful contribution from Steven and Hanners cost him his job.

As to North's dilemma they were on a hiding to nothing. Tried for the cream without success and, basically, no-one of quality wanted to go there. Bit like Blues after MM was sacked, or Hawks in 2004.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Scott can sod off and take his root rat AFL mate with him.
Ratten has a better win loss ratio, has current experience with the club and had the foresight to be the assistant coach of a team when the senior coach was a dud under pressure.
But in AFL land its not what you know but who you know so the North reject is in with a good chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back