Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who overrules whom in that situation? The player wants to play. The coach wants him to play. The medicos don't. Who wins?
What would be interesting is when you consult with a third party doctor and there's a difference in opinion as to what should happen. How do you then settle on what you should do?

If the outside doctor says surgery is needed but the club doctor thinks he can go on.

Not saying that's what happened but makes you wonder who makes the call and what the process is.

Especially when your season is on the line.

It's hard not to, VDS66. I always enjoy your avatars. The photo bombing cow was my favourite, however, I must say that your pussy is beautiful. Amongst the most purrfect I've ever seen. No wonder people stare.
If I was 30 years younger and had to go on an end of season footy trip to Thailand, you'd be my preferred roomie for better or worse.

There's plenty of cases where club's have played players who are injured. Not all of them end in sackings and law suits.

For example Adam Goodes in the 2012 grand final with a torn PCL.

Mcgovern last year with broken ribs.

Stevie J in 2011.

Simon Black with the infamous injections.

It happens.
McGovern & Goodes injured themselves during the game. You are talking about a player entering a game with an injury like that. I'd believe it if the medicos cleared Lobb to play and then also told him that there's a slight chance of re-injury, but that is the case with nearly all injuries. Once you've done an ACL, it's 'easier' to do it a second, third time. Hamstrings similar. In Lobb's case he dislocated his shoulder. Dislocations fall into that bracket. Once you've done it the first time, it's easier to do it again. We saw Callum Sinclair do exactly that a few weeks ago. That's why players strap their joints, because the chance of re-injury is more likely.

I reckon what actually happened is that Lobb hurt his shoulder, there was a slight chance of re-injury but for the most part if strapped he would be fine. Unluckily for him he did it again, and then the club ruled him out for the entire year. Fremantle were still a finals chance the week after he re-injured it, why wouldn't they play him for a third week in a row if they were fine with doing it the second time?

I think it's convenient for people who don't like Ross (Fremantle supporters/media) to link what has happened here so he gets a bad rap. It's a shame really. If people over in WA want Ross out, I would second guess any rumours that come from there. There is an obvious bias.

McGovern & Goodes injured themselves during the game. You are talking about a player entering a game with an injury like that. I'd believe it if the medicos cleared Lobb to play and then also told him that there's a slight chance of re-injury, but that is the case with nearly all injuries. Once you've done an ACL, it's 'easier' to do it a second, third time. Hamstrings similar. In Lobb's case he dislocated his shoulder. Dislocations fall into that bracket. Once you've done it the first time, it's easier to do it again. We saw Callum Sinclair do exactly that a few weeks ago. That's why players strap their joints, because the chance of re-injury is more likely.

I reckon what actually happened is that Lobb hurt his shoulder, there was a slight chance of re-injury but for the most part if strapped he would be fine. Unluckily for him he did it again, and then the club ruled him out for the entire year. Fremantle were still a finals chance the week after he re-injured it, why wouldn't they play him for a third week in a row if they were fine with doing it the second time?

I think it's convenient for people who don't like Ross (Fremantle supporters/media) to link what has happened here so he gets a bad rap. It's a shame really. If people over in WA want Ross out, I would second guess any rumours that come from there. There is an obvious bias.
Correct on Goodes.

Incorrect on the rest.

Mcgovern he broke his ribs the week before.

Same with Black and Stevie J. Fyfe too.

I'm sure there are plenty more examples of it.

Incorrect on Lobb. As per the clubs statement he damaged the bone the week before. It wasn't a case of a clean dislocation.

Yep Robbo did nothing in defence, nor did Jimmy Webster. McCartin nothing in attack and Dean Kent was unsighted. After looking like he had turned the corner Coff has gone off the boil and I didn't see Jade Gresham in the middle this week after his love tap from Sloane. And why does Geary let Ross take the toss, Geary's the captain. I do reckon Steven, Carlisle and Hanners aren't match fit though.
Please I hate when our supporters do this.

Docherty, Jones, Wietering, Charlie Curnow, Marchbank etc.

We lost the game because we couldn't kick straight and our skill level was deplorable. It's the reason why we have lost most games this season. We were outplayed maybe once or twice, but the others we actually lost ourselves with our skill and execution.

What would be interesting is when you consult with a third party doctor and there's a difference in opinion as to what should happen. How do you then settle on what you should do?

If the outside doctor says surgery is needed but the club doctor thinks he can go on.

Not saying that's what happened but makes you wonder who makes the call and what the process is.

Especially when your season is on the line.

I'd say if that was the case, St. C., and the season was on the line, the consultant would be thanked, paid and shown to the exit door. Player plays.

The player also has some responsibility when it comes to duty of care. If the club has taken all reasonable steps to assess and inform the player of the possible consequences of playing, does that not diminish the club's responsibility somewhat? Any of our BF site lawyers about. Opinions?

If I was 30 years younger and had to go on an end of season footy trip to Thailand, you'd be my preferred roomie for better or worse.

Ooh, matron! I doubt that would end well for us, but the 10-15 we'd for our antics get at the Bangkok Hilton would have been well worth it!! We'd make The Hangover II look like The Sound of Music"!😀

There's plenty of cases where club's have played players who are injured. Not all of them end in sackings and law suits.

For example Adam Goodes in the 2012 grand final with a torn PCL.

Mcgovern last year with broken ribs.

Stevie J in 2011.

Simon Black with the infamous injections.

It happens.

Fyfe played through a Corky and then stress Fractures. Played the year out before going in for surgery.

Remember the Brions in 2003? They used so many painkillers, they ran out by half time! Lappin was wearing a fibreglass "corset" to protect his broken ribs and punctured lung!

Vossy needed 6 jabs of various things just to get on the ground. How envious would Dank and the Dopers have felt?

One thing I do know is not one of them would've resented or regretted getting jabbed. A premiership was their reward.

Remember the Brions in 2003? They used so many painkillers, they ran out by half time! Lappin was wearing a fibreglass "corset" to protect his broken ribs and punctured lung!

Vossy needed 6 jabs of various things just to get on the ground. How envious would Dank and the Dopers have felt?

One thing I do know is not one of them would've resented or regretted getting jabbed. A premiership was their reward.
Here's Mcgovern the week before. It clearly happens:

Having spent a night in hospital on a morphine drip, McGovern said he doubted he would get up for the game.
“I probably didn’t think I was going to play,” he said.
“I tore a few muscles off the bone in my hip pointer as well, my obliques.”

The report revealed McGovern spent much of grand final week receiving treatment, which included draining blood, and taking measures to help the defender breathe.
McGovern said the pain from his injuries early in grand final week had been about a “10” out of 10, and that he played with his pain at a three
“Early days it was 10, throughout the week it was 10,” he said.
“I probably played at about three, three or four depending on when I got hit.”
McGovern required injections to help him get through a grand final eve training session, then another six on grand final day.

Same club with Fyfe:

On return from his groin strain, 2 weeks, Fyfe developed pain in his left leg and was diagnosed with inflammation of his fibula, a condition called periositis, an over-use type injury, similar to shin splints but this time occurring on the outside of his lower leg just below his knee. This inflammation can lead to micro-trauma or stress fractures in the bone if it is not given time to heal.

Fyfe continued to play putting him at risk of fracture. During the preliminary final Fyfe was involved in a collision and caused increased pain around his fibula. He continued to play, rotating on and off the bench, in considerable pain. It is hard to say when exactly the fracture occurred whether that be during the collision or result of him playing on - but one thing can be certain, he was at high risk due to the inflammatory stress reaction occurring in the bones in his leg. Fyfe did not play out the season and had surgery to help with the fracture healing process, having plates and screws inserted into the fibula. He was advised he would be ready for beginning of pre-season.

Fyfe underwent open-reduction internal fixation of his fibula. Given the fibula is a very narrow and thin bone there is a increased risk of fracture post surgery around the screws or at places of increased stress above and below the plate.

Fyfe, as expected, returned for pre-season raring to go. Unfortunately he did not complete a full pre-season due to sustaining a back injury during a training incident.

He entered round one returning from injury.

Incompleteness of pre-season and returning from injury presents another risk for further injury. There is high demand and pressure on the AFL star as he is one of Fremantle’s greatest assets. The rush to get him back for round 1 may have seen him return too early and putting undue strain on his body.

AFL doctors voiced their long-term concerns about Ffye continuing to play on his stress fractures as they may lead to more significant injury and poor bone healing. During round 5 Fyfe was slung to the ground knocking the outside of his left leg. Given the vulnerability of his fibula, post insertion of screws this lead to the second fracture just above the plate inserted - an area of increased stress.

Fyfe attempted to play the second half, lasting only 3 minutes until he was no longer able to continue to play due to the pain. Doctors reported Fyfe will undergo a second surgery. This will involve removing the original plate and screws to look at how well the previous fracture healed and re-inserting a longer plate extending over the new fracture site. This immediately suggests an 8 week recovery period until he will be able to return to activity, but given this is the second operation, in the same spot, in seven months it is highly likely he will undergo extensive and prolonged rehabilitation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So.... who will be our next coach?
I reckon Ratts will be named

Ross will try and jump but there will be no takers. He'll be sacked next year.

Lenny I hope becomes our senior coach but I think he might end up somewhere else

Scott will be an assistant. I think he'll take the year off. See a similarity to laidely.

Clarko finishes up at hawthorn then hands over to mitchell. Then retires.

I think Shaw at norf will be a disaster. Teague appointment reminds me of GT for us.

This going to play out very interesting IMO.

Now that Norf and Blooze have their men, what if we rolled the dice with Lenny?

Unless there is another vacancy, we don't risk losing Ratten.

Lenny with Ratten as his right-hand man?

As much as I'd love to see Ratten get the gig, it has to be a tempting option.

So it's Rory Lobb.

I would expect Ross to be sacked and the medical team at Fremantle to lose their jobs, or at the very least be under AFL investigation if they knowingly played an unfit to play, injured player. It breaks club and league duty of care provisions and would be violating the terms in Rory's playing contract. With all the care around concussion and more broadly player welfare, that's why I don't believe it.
George it happens at every club every week, even our club.

This going to play out very interesting IMO.

Now that Norf and Blooze have their men, what if we rolled the dice with Lenny?

Unless there is another vacancy, we don't risk losing Ratten.

Lenny with Ratten as his right-hand man?

As much as I'd love to see Ratten get the gig, it has to be a tempting option.

Hayes hasn’t coached his own team has he? I’d be wary of plonking him in as senior coach just because of sentiment. He would have to wow us at his interview/presentation.

His coaching experience is as an assistant at GWS for 3-4 years. It may be enough (I don’t know), but as a coach is he tactically astute? What are his communication skills like? What is his plan going forward? He is difficult to read compared to a candidate like Ratten who has exposed form. My guess is Hayes would be a huge risk.

If Ratten doesn’t get the senior job he may want to move on and that would be understandable. He has aspirations to coach again.

I reckon he'd be ideal for the Giants.

Or Bombers, or Melbourne or Collingwood. Maybe even Adelaide and see if he can't dig their heads from the mire.

So it's Rory Lobb.

I would expect Ross to be sacked and the medical team at Fremantle to lose their jobs, or at the very least be under AFL investigation if they knowingly played an unfit to play, injured player. It breaks club and league duty of care provisions and would be violating the terms in Rory's playing contract. With all the care around concussion and more broadly player welfare, that's why I don't believe it.

Didn't Richo just about push Hickey out onto the field injured. Pretty sure we nearly crippled Roberton playing him on a stuffed ankle too.

Hayes hasn’t coached his own team has he? I’d be wary of plonking him in as senior coach just because of sentiment. He would have to wow us at his interview/presentation.

His coaching experience is as an assistant at GWS for 3-4 years. It may be enough (I don’t know), but as a coach is he tactically astute? What are his communication skills like? What is his plan going forward? He is difficult to read compared to a candidate like Ratten who has exposed form. My guess is Hayes would be a huge risk.

If Ratten doesn’t get the senior job he may want to move on and that would be understandable. He has aspirations to coach again.

No doubt he would be a risk as a senior coach.

Probably no more than Sam Mitchell IMO.

You'd want someone like Ratten as his senior assistant at the very least.

Hard to judge because he's up in Sydney.

There was talk of RTB for 3 with Lenny to take over, but that seems fanciful.

And I don't think Ratten would do it for only 3.

Who knows how it plays out...

Would not rule out Ross making a play for our job tbh!
Getting Ross back would be dumb.

The only way it could be dumber would be if we brought Zac back as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back