• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The longer it goes, the more likely it’s Hartlett. Spiritual leader becomes the actual leader.

That’s my story anyway, and * you if you don’t like it :p

I want one outstanding candidate, who everyone acknowledges as the true captain because he wears 1.

Co-captains is a sign of weakness in a sport where the captain is acknowledged as the driver of standards in the team, because it shows that neither player has what it takes to lead by himself.

That’s what pisses me off about the idea. It’s just a cop out. Are we seriously saying that we don’t have anyone that can do just as good a job, if not better, than Travis Boak...and we need two players to make up the equivalent of a Shannon Hurn or a Trent Cotchin? Then why did we get rid of Boak in the first place?

Are our players so mentally weak?

Will someone for the love of god stand up in our playing group and say “Follow me boys, I’ll lead you into battle...but I’ll also stand beside you. I’ll make you believe”?

Co-captains was a bullshit invention of Paul Roos. The same Roos that advocated that ugly as dog s**t flood/possession crap we played last year. I don’t want us going anywhere near anything Sydney does again. We are Port Adelaide - we shouldn’t be playing ugly football.

One flag = one cup = one captain.

End of story.
What if...

One time in the history of competitive team sports there were two equal candidates for a Captaincy..

Would that be a positive?

How would that be a weakness?

Could that situation be harnessed?

What would that situation have to do with the previous captain?

Or with how many flags or cups there are to win??

I don't think the club feels we don't have someone good enough to be a captain on his own right. We do, it's Jonas.

But the club feel they can't afford to not make Wines captain, but he's not quite ready.
Why, if it's because he might leave Port then that would be a good reason NOT to make him captain / co-captain.

I want one outstanding candidate, who everyone acknowledges as the true captain because he wears 1.

Co-captains is a sign of weakness in a sport where the captain is acknowledged as the driver of standards in the team, because it shows that neither player has what it takes to lead by himself.

That’s what pisses me off about the idea. It’s just a cop out. Are we seriously saying that we don’t have anyone that can do just as good a job, if not better, than Travis Boak...and we need two players to make up the equivalent of a Shannon Hurn or a Trent Cotchin? Then why did we get rid of Boak in the first place?

Are our players so mentally weak?

Will someone for the love of god stand up in our playing group and say “Follow me boys, I’ll lead you into battle...but I’ll also stand beside you. I’ll make you believe”?

Co-captains was a bullshit invention of Paul Roos. The same Roos that advocated that ugly as dog s**t flood/possession crap we played last year. I don’t want us going anywhere near anything Sydney does again. We are Port Adelaide - we shouldn’t be playing ugly football.

One flag = one cup = one captain.

End of story.

If this goes ahead will it be the first black mark against Ken Hinkley's name?

If this goes ahead will it be the first black mark against Ken Hinkley's name?

If it goes ahead and they don’t make top four, absolutely.

I remember when they changed our club motto without informing or running it past the members. I remember it was Kochie or someone who said it and someone posted the picture of it on Bigfooty. I wasn’t a fan of them doing that but i guess I understood why they had to do it. It’s now with this co captain debate that the new part really comes into affect in my opinion.

“We exisit to win premierships and make our community proud.”

We ain’t winning premierships and going with co captains WILL NOT make the community proud.

One captain keep the community proud 😉

The longer it goes, the more likely it’s Hartlett. Spiritual leader becomes the actual leader.

That’s my story anyway, and **** you if you don’t like it :p

Given literally all the noise has been that we're heading down the co-captains path with Wines and Jonas, it would be one hell of a u-turn for the club to unveil Hartlett as sole captain.

The chances of us going sole captain at this point are approaching zero. The club has spent time trying to justify it than outright denying it will happen. Our identity erodes just a little bit more. Soon we'll be wearing all teal for pre-season matches. Oh wait.

If we weren't shithouse on-field I don't reckon there would be this much fuss over co-captains. That being said I do like the #1 tradition and would prefer a singular captain personally but it's not going to affect my engagement with the club. Results are the top priority and whether we get them with one captain or two, all that matters is we get them. Do sympathise with the opposing views though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think nothing has been decided and it’s all just random speculation.

Why would they wait to make the announcement?

Given literally all the noise has been that we're heading down the co-captains path with Wines and Jonas, it would be one hell of a u-turn for the club to unveil Hartlett as sole captain.

The chances of us going sole captain at this point are approaching zero. The club has spent time trying to justify it than outright denying it will happen. Our identity erodes just a little bit more. Soon we'll be wearing all teal for pre-season matches. Oh wait.

Everything is pointing that way so I feel as if it’s inevitable at this point. Stupid, but inevitable.

Odds on it’ll achieve nothing constructive or cause power struggles (there’s your headline Rooch) or both and the whole concept will be binned in a year anyway because of the 150th anniversary and maximum tradition and we listen to our community eventually just like with that diabolical gameplan from last year but only after the season was dead and buried.

I'd be astonished if the decision hadn't been made weeks ago. I'd expect that for some reason they'll now wait until this Friday's family day/trial match where players formally get given their guernseys. Having said that IMO there is no reason they had to delay the announcement than maybe a misjudged attempt at showmanship.

American sports commentator Colin Cowherd says that with great organisations, you don't hear a word about what is going to happen until it actually happens. And then everyone is like 'Where did that come from? Oh, yeah, that makes sense.'

If we were going with co-captains as a fait accompli, they would have ripped off the band-aid and announced it after the Noosa camp to give the supporters time to bitch and moan but grudgingly accept it by Family Day. Delaying it has made it ten time worse.

I honestly think at the moment, they are probably leaning towards it purely because there is no-one else...but they want to see if Hartlett has what it takes, and that required waiting until he returned to full training and seeing how the boys respond to his voice etc.

"Come on, Ham, old buddy, don't let me down!"

Based on what Gav said in (one of) his interviews, the board has not been presented with the recommendation of the football department yet.

So I guess the football department may have decided a few weeks ago, but the board was only finalised last weekend. I don't know when the next board meeting is but unless the football department and the board are in complete disagreement at that point, it should be announced soon after.

I won't be happy if we go co-captains but for some reason I think I'll be happier if they give the #1 to Jonas. Not based on anything rational, just feel like he's more of the on-field leader out of him and Wines I guess.

What if...

One time in the history of competitive team sports there were two equal candidates for a Captaincy..

At our club, over its tremendous history, there has not only ever been one player at any given time in any given year suitable to be captain, there's been others, but only one has been appointed.

What if...

Hawthorn had that with Hodge and Mitchell.

They made one of them captain then removed him for the other.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Maybe they have listened to the fans and they are giving the team and the coaches time to be absolutely sure they don't want to just pick 1.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back