• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

These are just the reasons why we are a weak club. Nobody is ready under Hinkley. The competition is even. Every team is elite and we have to be at our absolute best to win. Co-captains is just an extension of all this and camouflages Hinkley's inability to develop leaders ... after 6 seasons we have this rubbish!

These dicks assume they are owners of the club rather than custodians of it.
I agree that our ability to either develop or draft quality leaders has been poor. Its been a problem for years now.

Unpopular but I don’t care if we have co captains, if it makes us more successful I’m all for it. Can always reassess next year and see if it worked or not
Yeh, traditions are all well and good but if they may halt progress then sometimes change is better....i wouldnt be a fan but the #1 can be worn by the game day capt with the off field crap shared...easy
At the end of the day i will follow this club to the depths if need be so i can share in the spoils when they inevitably come!
Carn Port!

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Obviously there is some discord among the members of the whole co-captains idea. If this IS a superior model and will make the club better then it should be seriously considered. However, if after careful consideration it is decided that co-captains is required I think it is incumbent upon those whose job it is to appoint the captain to clearly explain what those benefits are and how they will make us better.

"We do not make changes for the sake of making them, but we never fail to make a change when once it is demonstrated that the new way is better than the old way" -- Henry Ford

If the primary reason for co-captains is that there is no single captain [and vice-captain combination] who can adequately perform the role then that is a significant indictment on the management and leadership of the club at a level higher than the playing group. If on the other hand there are 2 (or more) equally capable candidates for the captaincy and the primary purpose for co-captains is that we simply couldn't make a distinction on whom would be best then that is an equally if not greater indictment on those whose role it is to make a decision and they themselves should not be in the role.

Last edited:
Jarryn freaking Geary is a sole AFL Captain. This is no slight on him (ok maybe it is) If you’re telling me we have no one as capable as that absolute nobody, then i’m A little annoyed.

I actually can't do that s**t. Now I'm not a firm believer in ghosts or anything like that and I feel stupid for saying it but I get certain feelings about places and things that make me extremely uncomfortable.

It stems from growing up in house that used to belong to the coroner. The whole family had gotten used to a very strange feeling we all got from the front room of the house. We heard after we sold the place that the new buyers actually got a priest in to cleanse that room. So it wasn't only us.

Ever since, I avoid that s**t. A few times looking at houses through my life I've had to leave particular rooms or areas because I get overwhelmed with unpleasant feelings. Not fear, but a ******* weird butterflies feeling like when your dog is missing and you are 1 part anxious and 1 part sad.

Weird s**t and I refuse to acknowledge it, typically. I'm sure there is a logical reason for it. I'm not the only one in the family with the same sort of thing too. It was weird, growing up looking at houses when we were moving we all got the exact same feelings at the exact same time.

TRTT material this.
How many priests did you need to cleanse my room once I'd left!?

Obviously there is some discord among the members of the whole co-captains idea. If this IS a superior model and will make the club better then it should be seriously considered. However, if after careful consideration it is decided that co-captains is required I think it is incumbent upon those whose job it is to appoint the captain to clearly explain what those benefits are and how they will make us better.

"We do not make changes for the sake of making them, but we never fail to make a change when once it is demonstrated that the new way is better than the old way" -- Henry Ford

If the primary reason for co-captains is that there is no single captain [and vice-captain combination] who can adequately perform the role then that is a significant indictment on the management and leadership of the club at a level higher than the playing group. If on the other hand there are 2 (or more) equally capable candidates for the captaincy and the primary purpose for co-captains is that we simply couldn't make a distinction on whom would be best then that is an equally if not greater indictment on those whose role it is to make a decision and they themselves should no be in the role.
So....
Please explain... but there is no explanation that means the club hadn’t stuffed up?
and there will be no explanation we are happy with...

So....
Please explain... but there is no explanation that means the club hadn’t stuffed up?
No, but it equally doesn't mean that it has. It simply means the club has been derelict in one of it's duties to the members and fans by not providing an reasonable explanation for the change.

and there will be no explanation we are happy with...
Then we as members and fans are derelict in our duty in support of the club.

Responses in bold above

A total of umpteen years of success with one captain within our own history let alone within the history of football and these fools are pointing to tradition hindering their lack of leadership on the field. Somehow our tradition is hindering our success. The club that we have become in the AFL after doing everything our way to get there. Who would've thought we would be a loser club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how Ollie feels about the possibility of co-captains. Listening to his press conference again, he doesn't seem too happy about a shared role - thinking he's ready to take the role on himself.

Trust me, it was even better being there. Singing the full version of NTUA out the back at the Subi footy club with only a wall between us and the Freo change rooms. Yes We Ken chants. The works. All downhill since then unfortunately.
Best day and night of going to the footy I've ever had. Especially after living in Perth for so long. Almost a tragedy we've never come close to anything like that since 2014.

If the primary reason for co-captains is that there is no single captain [and vice-captain combination] who can adequately perform the role then that is a significant indictment on the management and leadership of the club at a level higher than the playing group. If on the other hand there are 2 (or more) equally capable candidates for the captaincy and the primary purpose for co-captains is that we simply couldn't make a distinction on whom would be best then that is an equally if not greater indictment on those whose role it is to make a decision and they themselves should no be in the role.

Great post, nothing else needs to be said.

I think you make great points here, but I also think that it’s one of those things where different strokes work for different folks.

If two co-captains can work together and establish a situation where they don’t need to argue then it can work just fine.

I’m just not convinced that a single captain is the only system that works. Maybe the club are just trying s**t for the sake of it, and have no idea what they are doing, maybe they have done their research, maybe they are copying other clubs, maybe the players have made the decision.

Regardless we either believe that having a captain is the only and best way and the club are stupid, having a captain is one way of doing things and changing it is worth tinkering with, or whether you have a captain or co captains or a 10 man leadership group is purely meaningless optics and we’ve broken a meaningless tradition for no reason.

To me it’s just people getting angry because the club has done something that can’t be proven good or bad, so they default it to being bad cause koch zero.

I mean fair enough but it seems so bloody pointless to me.

I disagree that people are just assuming it’ll have bad outcomes. I think it’s more that there doesn’t seem to be any clear benefits and in addition there’s the potential for new problems to arise. It just doesn’t seem worth putting tradition to the sword over.

Also in the absence of a decent rationale it makes us look either indecisive or poor at developing leaders, which is inexcusable given the looooong lead in time with Boak’s record tenure, and people are sick of us looking like amateurs.

If we can't appoint one captain, it reeks of failure. Imo having co captains is like saying, we could not find one outstanding leader in the team so we have to share the responsibility.
It’s as plain as daylight the reasons... not that it will placate anyone on here.

Jonas only got a few years left but great rear General and can dominate and inspire
If we make him some Captain it could only be for two years but.

Wines: can dominate in guts
Can change the play and inspire team
Some think not quite ready but definitely future captain
(Maybe Boak was supposed to hand over in two years )
Maybe the way contracts work there is a danger he could be poached
( I will duck head whilst everyone screams love of the club is irrelevant to captaincy carrots vs a Vic star getting wooed back to Vic in these modern F/A times but yeah anyway)

So I think knowing the uproar on BF they have weighed the pros and cons and are going to go co captains and then revert back in 2 years

Purely hypothetically speaking...

If 2 co captains was a traditional norm ...
Would we have got it right with these two players?

AND if it was an acceptable common thing..
... what one player in our team would be better than this combo?
Harlett? Really?

I don’t care in the slightest if it works well

Maybe I could defer a little to ‘tradition’ and not give the number 1 out whilst there is co captains...

Back