Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here or even if it matters, but I've been told by someone in the know that Boak didn't actually step down. He was told to.
I found it interesting that he was forced into the change.

I think it's perfectly normal and he would have been expecting it.

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here or even if it matters, but I've been told by someone in the know that Boak didn't actually step down. He was told to.
I found it interesting that he was forced into the change.
Whoever said it was right. Boak still has plenty to offer but change was needed

My recollection of the Choco/Burgoyne situation was that the bean counter CEO of the time John James pulled the trigger and over ruled the chocolate chap, but it is quite possible he was only the bullet, and the board were the gun.

REH may know the full story of what actually happened.
The other bean counter Mark Haysman was CEO but had only been around a few months when the call was made. I reckon it was Duncanson who made the final call with Board approval. IIRC, James announced he quit in June 2008, but would hang around for 6 or 8 weeks, August Haysman gets job but doesn't start until October, there was a few weeks with someone as acting ceo, Tredrea resigns as skipper at start of preseason in November and Dom gets the job in February 2009.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Letting the players do it led to the debacle of Primus over Tredrea and shooting our attempt at a 2005 back-to-back flag down before it even got started. It should be the coaches, with the board only giving a yah or nah.

The board should have no say and absolutely the players need to be voting... you cant have a guy the players don't all look up to and respect leading them.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...r/news-story/ff99888996ec755cd52194eb76e3bd96

"Jonas is however quick to put the warm and fuzzy feelings Port players might have had on the camp into context.

The straightest shooter in the team who says what he thinks with brutal honesty which makes him a contender for the captaincy said the Power could do all the talking and have all the meetings they want, but they will ultimately be judged on what happens in 22 weeks and hopefully beyond next year.

“The real test will be once the footy season actually starts,” Jonas said.

“That is 100 per cent what we’re going to be measured on, how we go in 2019, but the training camp is a good opportunity to work on our deficiencies and make our strengths stronger.

“Every other club will be doing it but hopefully we’re working on areas that will be really valuable for us in 2019.”

Captain this guy now Ports

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am hoping the preseason makes this decision obvious. It needs to be obvious to players and coaches, no 50-50 rubbish. I want a leader with hunger and know-how to take the team deep into finals. If the next captain is not obvious by now then there is no stand out candidate. We have suffered under weak on-field leadership for several years now.

Still reckon Hartlett.

Jonas is a key back and isn’t mobile enough to play roaming CHB and as such can’t push up the ground to get involved. Premiership captains who were defenders are almost always on the half back line - Tom Harley, Nick Maxwell, Luke Hodge in recent memory. This enables them to move into the midfield and get involved with the game more when the team is on top and performing well, which is something a defensive key back can’t really do. They can also see the game better than a full back who has to be more concerned about their direct opponent.

Hamish is in between Boak and Wines in terms of age, drafted two years later than Boak and four years earlier than Wines. He’d be the perfect transition between the two. I just don’t think Wines has the cachet necessary to inspire guys like Gray or Westhoff...which is why I’d appoint Hartlett captain for two years, then see whether Wines has improved.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
IMHO Jonas captain, Wines vice-captain and Dixon deputy vice-captain.

I would however introduce the concept of understudies for these roles for when any of the above are unavailable.
For example, if Jonas gets suspended, Wines becomes (C), Dixon (VC) and defensive understudy Howard becomes (D-VC)

Shouldn't need to be rocket science, 3 positions and 3 understudies who have no additional responsibilities unless elevated.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
IMHO Jonas captain, Wines vice-captain and Dixon deputy vice-captain.

I would however introduce the concept of understudies for these roles for when any of the above are unavailable.
For example, if Jonas gets suspended, Wines becomes (C), Dixon (VC) and defensive understudy Howard becomes (D-VC)

Shouldn't need to be rocket science, 3 positions and 3 understudies who have no additional responsibilities unless elevated.
Sounds good to me.

Others have mentioned Hartlett, which could work, but I don't think he can speak well enough for the top job.. a good on field leader though.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but it won't surprise me greatly if the club has an each way bet and names TJ and Ollie as co captains.
It would be the most vanilla move of this vanilla administration. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
It would be the most vanilla move of this vanilla administration. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
joy-twin-scoop-cone.jpg

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Robbie just on freaking principal.

Wines because I think we are pot committed.

Back