• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This will be interesting... is it voted by players? Or, staff?
I think I heard it's players and coaches who vote then KT & Kochie and the board have to agree. Probably just a rubber stamp from them unless the vote throws up some weird result.

I think I heard it's players and coaches who vote then KT & Kochie and the board have to agree. Probably just a rubber stamp from them unless the vote throws up some weird result.

The Board should keep out of it, should have no say.... They should stick to doing their job and picking the captain isn't one of them

The Board should keep out of it, should have no say.... They should stick to doing their job and picking the captain isn't one of them

They don't pick the captain, they just give the nod of approval to the choice made by others. And fair enough too, the captain is one of the key leadership positions at the club and is very much relevant to the board's overarching governance responsibility.

They don't pick the captain, they just give the nod of approval to the choice made by others. And fair enough too, the captain is one of the key leadership positions at the club and is very much relevant to the board's overarching governance responsibility.

You've just said it your self, they have to approve it - what if they say no, the players and coaches don't get the captain they want.

With apologies to my old mate Theo Kray ;) I have very little faith in a David Koch lead board getting any decision regarding the on field stuff right, even something as simple as ratifying a majority decision by the playing group. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A potential leader is honest. They don't sugar coat. They recogise problems, learn from their mistakes and help others do the same.

Would you prefer he lie or gloss over the problem? Or worse yet, not recognise the problem at all?
I still remember jonas saying he never watched the holding the ball balls up in the hawks premlim and never will just going to move on. Never sat well with me.

I still remember jonas saying he never watched the holding the ball balls up in the hawks premlim and never will just going to move on. Never sat well with me.
Coz he knows the umps were not going to let the hawthorn juggernaut loose that game. Why watch it again? Jonas will be result based leader not an excuses type of guy...

letting moments like that plague you is what makes soft no-hopers

I think Jonas captain, Wines vice captain.

That will show true leadership on both counts.

It’s still going to be a tough 2 years, with plenty of young players needing a senior leader. Jonas has 3-4 years left, but will be drifting off as of 2021 as a player.

Ollie needs to understand that he had the qualities and talent, but needs to wait for the moment. We’ve gone rebuild, so it’ll be 2021 till we are hitting full stride. That’s the moment for Ollie to be taking over and driving as hard as he can. Also, I honestly feel that Ollie still has big improvements to make as a player - and they are in areas that aren’t helped by the extra pressure of captaincy (skill execution namely).

So, Jonas (C) Wines (VC) for mine.

The other bean counter Mark Haysman was CEO but had only been around a few months when the call was made. I reckon it was Duncanson who made the final call with Board approval. IIRC, James announced he quit in June 2008, but would hang around for 6 or 8 weeks, August Haysman gets job but doesn't start until October, there was a few weeks with someone as acting ceo, Tredrea resigns as skipper at start of preseason in November and Dom gets the job in February 2009.

Any idea why? Power (pun unavoidable) play against Choco or did the board have genuine concerns about Burgoyne’s credentials to captain the club? I’m not too sure how effective Cassisi was, but from the outside he seemed as bog average a choice as Van Berlo was for us.

It honestly took me about 15 seconds to process that phrase. So, so many alternative words/phrases for 'mistake'.
Same here! From my anal proofreading & editing days, just add a hyphen to the last phrase:

"........ holding the ball balls-up ..... "

On that subject though, I wouldnt hold that against Jonas ... I reckon quite a number of players would never want to watch that replay again! Cant blame them!

Any idea why? Power (pun unavoidable) play against Choco or did the board have genuine concerns about Burgoyne’s credentials to captain the club? I’m not too sure how effective Cassisi was, but from the outside he seemed as bog average a choice as Van Berlo was for us.
Burgoyne had a knee injury, Talk was we would only offer him 1 year at the end of 2009 and Hawks offered him 3 years and that's part of the reason why he walked.

Duncanson became the new President at the AGM in December 2008 when no captain had been announced. Talk was the Cornes boys had had a falling out with Burgoyne in 2008. When I returned to SA in 2011, I went to a lot of events and you could see Duncanson and Cassisi were close. No idea if that was the case 2 years earlier when he appointed Cassisi. The Cornes boys by 2011 had a big falling out with Duuncanson and to a lesser extent Haysman. Rumours were they were feeding their old man stories. Once again, I wasn't around to know if that was the case back in late 2008/early 2009 when a decision had to be made. Dom was one of those great team man, does the hard yards type choices, over the star player choice.

The Shaun Burgoyne v Domini Cassisi selection will always be a useful case for the club to look at. Dom's selection was unanticipatable by ordinary fans but he turned out to be an excellent on-field captain. Reliably good, had longevity in the role, no controversies ever.
Imagine Wingard was the modern day S Burgoyne, non-selection as captain leading to him leaving for Hawthorn. Who would be our Cassisi? Looking at our list now I'd only see Tom Clurey or Darcy Byrne-Jones as that sort of 'out of left-field' candidate.

Back