Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rigs

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We cannot have co-captains. We pride ourselves on rich history - how can you change something like that.
I feel like i'm getting pissed off with something that we don't actually really know whether it will happen on not. But still, there's too much talk in the media for me to feel at ease.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ive gone from wanting Jonas as captain back to Ollie.

Dont think a stay at home defender would be a great choice, cant get up the ground to bark orders or inspire the team.

Captain: Ollie
VC: Jonas

Leadership group: Ebert & hartlett (boak if he wants it, but assume he has stepped down from all leadership roles).

Not keen on a 10 man leadership group
But, but west coast just won a premiership.

We need to choose the man who can lead the players the best, regardless of where he plays.

I’m still on the Hartlett train. Bonner said he has a strong voice on the field.

It would be a left field selection.

Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Completely agree regarding dual captains being a terrible, indecisive, weak move - everyone who has also posted as such needs to email the club so it never happens!! Especially with these rumours the club is going down this path.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Completely agree regarding dual captains being a terrible, indecisive, weak move - everyone who has also posted as such needs to email the club so it never happens!! Especially with these rumours the club is going down this path.
It's a trial run for when Voss gets promoted to dual coach.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pretty hard to melt to a rumour but will give it a go.

Piss weak half assed non choice. They go this way and they dont get Port Adelaide. Period. Players coaches and board. Why not make them all captains and hand out a weekly participation award.

Co captains is not leadership it's an easy way out of a difficult situation.

Takes membership from wallet and walks toward microwave.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Contenders to wear the coveted number 1 guernsey at Port Adelaide have less than 7 weeks to push their case.

Ollie Wines and Tom Jonas are still the frontrunners to take the reins, with a choice to be made on a new skipper before the club's first pre-season game in March.

Riley Bonner has a weird shaped head.

POLEC Jared.png

There's a story about when the King of Wu invited Sun Tzu for a visit, and he challenged him to submit his theory of managing soldiers to a test. The test was applied to women of the Palace, and the King placed one of his favourite concubines at the head of each.

Sun Tzu asks the women if they know their right from their left, and their front from their back. They all say "Yes!" So he says when he tells them to turn left, they should turn left, right, turn right etc.

When it comes time to do the drill, he gives the order to turn right, and they all burst out laughing. So he says "If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, then the general is to blame." So he starts again, and this time he makes sure that he gives the order to turn left loudly and clearly...only for the girls to burst out laughing once more.

Then he says, "If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, the general is to blame. But if his orders ARE clear, and the soldiers nevertheless disobey, then it is the fault of their officers." And he orders the leaders of the two companies to be beheaded. And even though the King tries to stop this from happening, Sun Tzu replies that there are certain commands that acting in the capacity of being the general of the King's forces that he is unable to accept.

So the two favoured concubines are beheaded, and the next favoured are put in their place. After which, the women are drilled like a precision military unit - turning left or right, marching forward or wheeling back, kneeling or standing, with perfect accuracy and precision, not venturing to utter a sound.

When Sun Tzu said that the King's troops are ready for inspection, the King of Wu says that he does not want to do that and Sun Tzu should just return to camp. To which Sun Tzu replies:

"The King is only fond of talking about military action, he has no stomach for the reality of it, and cannot translate words into deeds."

You people talk about being ruthless, but you've got no idea what it actually means. When Travis Boak gets stripped of the captaincy, it's because he's the equivalent of an officer in this scenario, and he should have been on top of the Wingard situation from day one. He should have been on top of the Powell-Pepper situation from day one.

It's the job of a captain to make sure that the players under his watch are drilled in whatever the coach wants them to do and not take any s**t or dissent about it. That's why I can't see Wines being captain - he'd just be another Boak...more concerned about being popular in the locker room than calling people out.

I look at Hartlett talking to Polec about playing selfish football, and I think "Why didn't Boak have that conversation as the captain? Why didn't Wines as the vice captain?"

I don't want a player who is popular. I want a player who is respected.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My take on this: they originally wanted Ollie but he is too influenced by his family. However, Ollie expects the captaincy. Therefore create 2 captains, Jonas being the obvious other candidate. It's the only way to solve the problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take on this: they originally wanted Ollie but he is too influenced by his family. However, Ollie expects the captaincy. Therefore create 2 captains, Jonas being the obvious other candidate. It's the only way to solve the problem.

Trade a century old tradition to keep a guy happy?

That can * right off.

Same goes with selecting someone as captain because it would upset them if we don't. Sure, if they are the best candidate that's fine but if you even sniff that they would throw the toys out of the cot for not getting it - they aren't the captain you want.

All of this is speculation anyway. I think everyone at the club will be happy with whoever gets chosen, even if there is some disappointment from Jonas or Ollie initially if they aren't selected. Naturally they both want it, but it shouldn't define their time here or who they are as players.

blaargh

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Elsewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I would be absolutely astounded if Ollie is professionally influenced by his family - and that is affecting the way he acts at the club.

Also, I don’t believe he would ‘expect’ the captaincy - and if he does, it’ll be an opportunity for him to learn something if he doesn’t get it.

I’m not saying the club won’t balls this up, and give us two captains but if they make that decision to not hurt the expectations of one non-superstar player...

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Ollie's dad shook his head :think:
Lock it in Eddie - the family makes his decisionsfor him :cool:

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's a story about when the King of Wu invited Sun Tzu for a visit, and he challenged him to submit his theory of managing soldiers to a test. The test was applied to women of the Palace, and the King placed one of his favourite concubines at the head of each.

Sun Tzu asks the women if they know their right from their left, and their front from their back. They all say "Yes!" So he says when he tells them to turn left, they should turn left, right, turn right etc.

When it comes time to do the drill, he gives the order to turn right, and they all burst out laughing. So he says "If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, then the general is to blame." So he starts again, and this time he makes sure that he gives the order to turn left loudly and clearly...only for the girls to burst out laughing once more.

Then he says, "If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, the general is to blame. But if his orders ARE clear, and the soldiers nevertheless disobey, then it is the fault of their officers." And he orders the leaders of the two companies to be beheaded. And even though the King tries to stop this from happening, Sun Tzu replies that there are certain commands that acting in the capacity of being the general of the King's forces that he is unable to accept.

So the two favoured concubines are beheaded, and the next favoured are put in their place. After which, the women are drilled like a precision military unit - turning left or right, marching forward or wheeling back, kneeling or standing, with perfect accuracy and precision, not venturing to utter a sound.

When Sun Tzu said that the King's troops are ready for inspection, the King of Wu says that he does not want to do that and Sun Tzu should just return to camp. To which Sun Tzu replies:

"The King is only fond of talking about military action, he has no stomach for the reality of it, and cannot translate words into deeds."

You people talk about being ruthless, but you've got no idea what it actually means. When Travis Boak gets stripped of the captaincy, it's because he's the equivalent of an officer in this scenario, and he should have been on top of the Wingard situation from day one. He should have been on top of the Powell-Pepper situation from day one.

It's the job of a captain to make sure that the players under his watch are drilled in whatever the coach wants them to do and not take any s**t or dissent about it. That's why I can't see Wines being captain - he'd just be another Boak...more concerned about being popular in the locker room than calling people out.

I look at Hartlett talking to Polec about playing selfish football, and I think "Why didn't Boak have that conversation as the captain? Why didn't Wines as the vice captain?"

I don't want a player who is popular. I want a player who is respected.
Ken is an incompetent general. You’re only meant to PRETEND inferiority. Although his plans have been as dark and impenetrable as night. Unfortunately to all the players as well.

Ljc_86

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Co captains and who ever flips the coin gets to wear the number 1 for the day.

Could you imagine if it was something stupid like this?

Back