Prediction Who will be the better player?

Who will become the best player?

• Total voters

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Its the first time in a while that we’ve got multiple new players up for and winning awards. With no team to debate tonight I thought we could project into the future.
We have two really good mature players in Kelly and Stewart.
And two young players who have emerged this year Esava and Henry.
Who do people think will be the best players of the four? Do you think they can all become elite players? Arguably Stewart and Kelly are already there but both are young in their careers.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
With Stewart and Kelly you sort of see what you are going to get..which is obvious very good... for the other two its a fair hill they still have to climb and the other two are far more speculative.
Henry has already given an idea on his flex and talent and what he might become. Sav has a sort of rawness that I wonder if he will be the player he gives hints of probably ..one can only hope... so I'll go Henry. 3 years PSeason training..and in the gym.. he doesn't appear that strong atm..once he is .. he becomes a very unique talent.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Watching the highlights the club posted of Henry. The thing that struck me is his toughness or courage. Smashing into the post, crunching tackles and big marks. It’s hard to think of a player to compare him to. Maybe a tougher version of Mackie if you combined Mackie's forward and defensive abilities.
There’s another player I thought about adding which is Parfitt. His year has been underrated. It’s only his second year and he missed a few with injuries last year. He’s already a good player who will get better.

Jeff76

Premiership Player
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m going with Henry, has all the skill set to be a star, can see him in a couple years leaping all over the place taking hangers and busting open packs.
I’d say Kelly otherwise but he won’t be around much longer.

Only one of those is a current All Australian.
That’s some standard he’s set the others

You know MrB...my first inclination was Stewart...the guy is all class....great hands, good mind and good delivery by hand and foot.....

#44 is going to be around for a very long time.

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
You know MrB...my first inclination was Stewart...the guy is all class....great hands, good mind and good delivery by hand and foot.....

#44 is going to be around for a very long time.

Enright is my all time fave player. Stewart is serving #44 well.

Cheers Scarlo!

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Im another one to vote for Henry - since they moved him forward - theres tremendous potential - the leap =- the marking - reminds me a little bit (even in appearance ) of a young Stephen Kernaghan

With Kelly - i think the hype is way way over the top - if he was in a team - where hes the man - like Selwood ( some of those finals he played - when Geel were under the pump - in particular a Hawthorn one i can remember - it was like Joel versus the Hawks ) - then how would Kelly perform - he is not a penetrating kick

Sav - good to have him - but its unproven yet - but his o/head marking is very good

Stewart is a very good player - but i think Henry could be something out of the box

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Im another one to vote for Henry - since they moved him forward - theres tremendous potential - the leap =- the marking - reminds me a little bit (even in appearance ) of a young Stephen Kernaghan

With Kelly - i think the hype is way way over the top - if he was in a team - where hes the man - like Selwood ( some of those finals he played - when Geel were under the pump - in particular a Hawthorn one i can remember - it was like Joel versus the Hawks ) - then how would Kelly perform - he is not a penetrating kick

Sav - good to have him - but its unproven yet - but his o/head marking is very good

Stewart is a very good player - but i think Henry could be something out of the box
That's as irrelevant as saying what would happen if Henry was the main defensive general or key forward. Kelly's been an outstanding player for his first year in the system. The others could outdo him for longevity given their earlier start points, but just comparing first years on an AFL list - Kelly is way out in front. Remember Parfitt, Sav and Henry were on the list prior to this year.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
Chose Esava. I think we’re seeing a young Franklin / Nic Nat. Guy is athleticly amazing. I think in two years he’ll be delicious.
At the same stage of his career, I would argue that Sav’s closest (Geelong) comparison would be Nathan Vardy. Let’s see if his body is more durable than Vardy’s and he can live up to his potential.

CabWesty

All Australian
Jul 3, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
4 specials there.

Henry does stuff that reminds me of Harry Taylor, but there seems to be more upside forward for him.
What Scottland said above about Ratugolea. When you consider he's only played less than 50 games of AFL at any level in TOTAL, the upside is ridiculous. (I was always a huge fan of Blicavs - even when he was raw - but they've finally worked out he's a premo backman. But SavRat is doing good stuff first year in the seniors.)
I'd love it if we can keep Kelly.
Stewart is awesome. Old school, hard, good above the head, and hates to get beaten.
Parfitt makes a good #5.
I've really liked what we've seen of Abbott so far too.

Back