Who will be the hidden star at your club this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

No, but the goal is to increase the perception of transparency, sound morals and fairness. Perceptions can be reversed with the right amount of effort, the right words can and will be found to achieve this affect.
a1-bp-blogspot-com__j_op93kl0l8_txloyvf8kki_aaaaaaaaam8_hpmruie59b6fa97118ab5e4f9055d63319cc29-png.25283

Last edited:

I think Harry McKay qualifies. 2 games in 2 years due to injury. If he can get over his toe issues he will be a revelation.

This thread really relates to Hawthorns draft picks from recent history - recent history being
Brad Hill (2011 draft pick 33)
Ryan Burton (2015 draft pick 19 - 1st round) - ignored by many due to his broken leg but was touted to be a top 5 pick before this injury
James Sicily (2013 draft pick 56 - 3rd round)
Taylor Duryea (2009 draft pick 69 - 5th round)
Blake Hardwick (2015 draft pick 44 - 3rd round)
Isaac Smith (2010 pick 19 - 1st round)
Daniel Howe (2014 pick 31 - 2nd round)
Luke Bruest (2009 Rookie Draft 47)
Ben Stratton (2009 pick 46 - 3rd round)
Connor Glass (2016 International Rookie Draft pick 62)
Paul Puopolo (2010 pick 66 - 4th round)

This year I think we could have several hidden gems appear - one we saw playing the one game last season

Harry Morrison (2016 pick 74 - 5th round)

Whilst I wouldnt discount

James Cousins (2016 Rookie draft Pick 46) - oops I forgot he played 3 games in 2017 before a season ending shoulder injury
Connor Nash (2017 rookie draft)
James Worpel (2017 pick 45 - 3rd round)
Dylan Moore (2017 pick 67 - 4th round)

Dom Tyson has slipped off the radar the last couple of years but with the first uninterrupted pre-season for a while and at 24 years old, he can go to a new level this year.

Bayley Fritsch looks like a stiff breeze could blow him over but will be labelled the next Robbie Flower by this time next year :D
21 years old. 42 goals in the VFL last year as a third forward. If he’s not on the bench in your fantasy side, get him in there now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan Clarke.

After he went to half back in the latter part of the 2017 season he averaged something like 27 touches a game with a heap of metres gained. Apparently he's done a full preseason there and if he can maintain that average across a whole season then he will be a genuine star in only his 3rd year.

Christian Salem

Already an ok player, but hasn't come close to a full season of good footy. If he plays 20 games this year, I am tipping him to be one of our most important players. With Watts gone, Salem is one of the only decent kicks we have left.

The criteria of these threads re who qualifies tends to be pretty wishy-washy, so I'll just name the one for us who I most expect to have the sort of big overall breakout year that the likes of Seb Ross, Membrey and Bruce have had over the last 3 years for us, and that's Luke Dunstan.

Started his career like a house on fire (Rising Star nom from his 1st game, 2 Brownlow votes from his 3rd (after 29 disposals (15 contested), 7 clearances and 2 goals, in a losing team in Perth), 5th in the RS award from just 16 games, etc, but then his career got derailed by serious injuries and subsequent recos to both shoulders (starting from later that year), and it basically took him until the latter part of last season (3 years later)- and getting dropped 3 times in 3 months- to get back to his pre-injuries self, and rediscover his old form and mojo.

Once he returned from that 3rd dropping he over the last 6 weeks averaged 28 disposals (10 contested), 6 clearances and 5 tackles, and he also kicked 5 goals 5, and received the most votes in our B&F for that period, so if he continues that sort of form this year, he could obviously have a pretty bloody good season.

He said recently he's having his first full preseason where he's doing all the work and not restricted by injuries or niggles (or rehabbing the shoulders), which ought to really help. Endurance has always been something that's held him back, so if he does complete a full preseason for the first time, I imagine that will help him to get to more contests, spread better and spend more time on the ground, etc.

Others in that prime breakout range for us (4th/5th seasons and in the 35-70 game range) are Billings (although he obviously stepped it up in a pretty big way last season- reckon he'll go up another level or two this year tho), Acres, Steele, Sinclair and Lonie, and if Paddy (also 4th year) gets a good run at it this year, he could also step up in a pretty sizeable way.

Last edited:
For the crows, I'll nominate Hugh Greenwood. Made some headlines last year due to the rookie list thing, but should take some big steps with increased fitness this year.

I'd love to see Luke Brown get some accolades outside the club too - Crows fans not included, I think half the fans don't know who he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back