Who will be the next club to break a premiership drought?

Who will break the next premiership drought?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The dogs just end their premiership drought that was at the time the longest active premiership drought, now that the trade period and draft is done, who do you think will be the next club to break a premiership drought?

Lets keep the discussion to clubs who havent won it in 20 years or more, so:
Melbourne
St Kilda
Richmond
Fremantle
Carlton

dont vote for your own club, just to keep bias out of it

Carlton. Melbourne and St Kilda will finish higher for the next couple of years but they're peaking at the same time as GWS, who will win the next three flags
But what if GWS are born-chokers? Just like their cross-code cousins, the Wanderers.

Btw, the next drought breaker could be years from now. Bulldogs could go back2back. Hawthorn or Geelong or Sydney could chip in with some more flags, still gas in all their tanks tho they might not stay dynasties anymore. Collingwood is probably due soon. GWS people presume should win one within the next five years with their maturing squad. One or both the SA teams is probably due to win one each. West Coast probably goes back to the GF in a few years.

For all clubs including our own, it's impossible to envision, but so was the same with the Bulldogs.

Being unbiased, i think St Kilda has the best talent of that list of clubs

i'll put my 2 cents worth in. for mine its freo. they're building a bunch of pretty special players. they've had a couple of really good drafts too. they're about to move out of their dilapidated HQ and into a new 100m facility.

they have fyfe to build a team around. blakely has already shown he doesnt look out of place and starred in the WAFL grand final. neale is already a gun. on the outside they have the hill brothers. thats your center right there. weller on the outside will be a very good player. balic if he can get fit i think will be a very classy outside player and showed glimpses of this in the WAFL grand final. so they have a midfield base they can build on.

their backline looks nice with alex pearce at CHB. hamling, collins are good additions. then they just brought in logue who looks a great prospect. tucker as a small defender will be very good.

their fwd line is starting to be rebuilt with kersten (i see him more as a stop gap) and mccarthy (who will need sometime to establish himself). apeness will be a good resting ruck option. walters is an absolute star and if they can get bennell fit i think they have some dangerous options down there. yarran if he stays out of trouble doesnt look out of place either.

they just need to develop or bring in some ruck options. but as we've seen rucks are willing to change states to get a good crack at it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne or St Kilda are both building impressive lists, with top spines that should go on to have elite KF and KD. Both have top 5 ruckmen too. One of them will have to do it, they both can't miss out.

And Freo will be back quicker than people think. Insanely hard to call, but one of Melbourne, St kilda or Freo will have a flag by the end of this decade I think (calling 2020 the last season).

Saints will have the best team in 2017 of those five. However unless they sign a big free agent for 2018 i cant see them getting over GWS in the near future.
I like the list Melbourne have built now that Hogan is staying. If Melbourne peak at the right time they should have a good run at it. So Melbourne is my guess.

If I were to order them from what I think, then:

Melbourne
St Kilda
Fremantle
Richmond
Carlton

So Melbourne. I think they have a star-studded midfield able to challenge Bulldogs and GWS and a relatively potent forward line. I also think their defence is solid and have a great ruck department headed by Gawn. Also, The MCG seems to be their best ground, which is the place where the Premiership is won. I won't be surprised if they finish in the 5-6 region of the top 8 next year and improve on that the following years to win the Premiership in a couple of years.

- I put Carlton last not necessarily because I think they'll break the drought last, but because it is kind of hard to place them given that they have a lot of youth and are heading into the second year with their new coach. I guess I have a better idea on where the other teams are at.
- I feel like Richmond can at least launch a surprise challenge in the next few years if they don't win, but maybe that is just my biased optimism.

Whoever has the best midfielders.

I'm biased, but if anyone can convince me that any of those clubs have a midfield that is superior to:

Gawn, Lewis, Viney, Tyson, Jones, Vince, Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem, Stretch, Melksham, Trengove (yes, I still like him) then I'll change my mind.

Add Hogan, Weideman, Watts and Kent in the forward-line, Hunt and Hibberd, etc. in the back-line and I think I have reason to be bullish.

Some fellow Dees fans won't like hearing this, but I believe they're going to be very good very quickly.

I think the dees.... But the worry for them as well as the saints, is the giants and dogs are going nowhere for the next few years it would seem. The other 3 are a long way away for a variety of reasons.

Whoever has the best midfielders.

I'm biased, but if anyone can convince me that any of those clubs have a midfield that is superior to:

Gawn, Lewis, Viney, Tyson, Jones, Vince, Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem, Stretch, Melksham, Trengove (yes, I still like him) then I'll change my mind.

Add Hogan, Weideman, Watts and Kent in the forward-line, Hunt and Hibberd, etc. in the back-line and I think I have reason to be bullish.

Some fellow Dees fans won't like hearing this, but I believe they're going to be very good very quickly.
I'll see your midfield and raise you
Sandilands (1 or 2 years max) Fyfe , Neale , Mundy, Blakely, B.Hill , S.Hill, Bennell,Weller , Langdon, Balic ,Tucker and Walters going through there. Happy with our midfield whilst we have Fyfe.

Back