Who will be the next club to break a premiership drought?

Who will break the next premiership drought?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

LightTower4

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2004
No Fixed Address
AFL Club
Melbourne
St kilda.

As soon as Melbourne string a few wins together, they start drinking their own bath water and serve up a putrid effortless performance. If I had to pick any team to choke away a finals series it would be them.

Would've said the same thing about the Dogs this time last year.

It's called being realistic. Faith is for religious people who believe in a God they have never made contact with.
Wow, that joke reference flew right over you, didn't it?

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
Would've said the same thing about the Dogs this time last year.

Nah.

Bulldogs last 10 years:

> 111 regular season wins
> Played in 14 finals
> Won 7 finals

Dees last 10 years:

> 55 regular season wins
> Played in 0 finals
> Won 0 finals

Forgive me for not having much faith in the Dees.

Hopefully you're right. You just beat them and if they'd gotten past you guys they would've pasted the Swans so they're very close.
True - it really was a line ball game right up to the dying minute, we lost Roughy but they lost Ward.
Will be interesting to see how the ins for each side change things too - Cloke + Crameri completely change our forwardline, GWS will have Stevie J and Lids.

On topic though - I think Melbourne are really shaping up well. Question marks over the defence should be covered by the two macs + decent coaching.
Second forward is vital so Wied's development will be important for them.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
True - it really was a line ball game right up to the dying minute, we lost Roughy but they lost Ward.
Will be interesting to see how the ins for each side change things too - Cloke + Crameri completely change our forwardline, GWS will have Stevie J and Lids.

On topic though - I think Melbourne are really shaping up well. Question marks over the defence should be covered by the two macs + decent coaching.
Second forward is vital so Wied's development will be important for them.
The extra targets you'll have inside 50 could do wonders for Stringer and Boyd next year I reckon. You'd think less attention would be applied to Stringer because of these extra targets and the way Boyd performed in the grand final could have finally given him the confidence he needs to carry that sort of form consisently into next year.

Anyway, for a team that is the reigning premiers, I don't think we've seen so much change in a teams forward setup after winning a premiership for a long time. So it shall be interesting to see how this works next year.

And ironically, I happen to be a professional theologian at a tertiary college, having nearly finished a PhD in Church history. I'd tell you more about me, but...

... you don't need to see my identification...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
And ironically, I happen to be a professional theologian at a tertiary college, having nearly finished a PhD in Church history. I'd tell you more about me, but...

... you don't need to see my identification...

I think my footy club is cursed. How much do you charge for an exorcism?

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Adding Cloke, Redpath and Crameri is scary for the opposition
For mine they could have a dominant season and finish top of the ladder with a 20-2 type record or they could finish bottom half of the 8 again
Alot depends on whether Boyd and Morris can have another big season and blokes like Picken, Dickson, Boyd can back up their vital roles in the finals

I think Morris is a huge one, though Adams and the other bloke who's name escapes me now are promising Morris is so so important to their back 6 that if age catches up with him I think they might get scored against more heavily

As for the saints vs Dees argument I hate it, both sets of supporters have every right to be confident but the arrogance is stupid for teams who have a combined premiership history in the last 50 years of * all

If both sides could cherry pick 3 players off each others list they would be laughing
I'd take Carlisle, Steven and maybe Hickey or Weller and I'd back us for instant top 8
Sure the saints would love a Viney, Petracca and say Mcdonald for arguments sake
Either way you can argue about the sure things all you like ( Hogan v McCartin, Watts v Membrey, Dunstan v Brayshaw etc ) but in reality it's the Stretch, Omac, Weid, Hunt, Tyson, Kent etc vs Acres, Billings, Savage, Membrey, Weller etc of the world's
Which every coaching group can turn those young B an C players into consistent B+ to A grade AFL players wins the flag

Bont, Stringer, Macrae, Hunter etc are guns but it's what the dogs did with Picken, Wood, Johannisen, Wallis, Dixon, Hamling etc that made them premiers

Nah.

Bulldogs last 10 years:

> Played in 14 finals
> Won 7 finals

Dees last 10 years:

> 55 regular season wins
> Played in 0 finals
> Won 0 finals

So melbourne are undefeated in finals over the last 10 years?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

LightTower4

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2004
No Fixed Address
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nah.

Bulldogs last 10 years:

> Played in 14 finals
> Won 7 finals

Dees last 10 years:

> 55 regular season wins
> Played in 0 finals
> Won 0 finals

Was talking about your claim that "If I had to pick any team to choke away a finals series it would be them.".
Given the Dogs appalling record in finals from 1955 - 2015, that was the basis of my retort.

I think my footy club is cursed. How much do you charge for an exorcism?
Sorry, I'm only remaining in this conversation to make obscure Star Wars references.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Adding Cloke, Redpath and Crameri is scary for the opposition
For mine they could have a dominant season and finish top of the ladder with a 20-2 type record or they could finish bottom half of the 8 again
Alot depends on whether Boyd and Morris can have another big season and blokes like Picken, Dickson, Boyd can back up their vital roles in the finals

I think Morris is a huge one, though Adams and the other bloke who's name escapes me now are promising Morris is so so important to their back 6 that if age catches up with him I think they might get scored against more heavily

As for the saints vs Dees argument I hate it, both sets of supporters have every right to be confident but the arrogance is stupid for teams who have a combined premiership history in the last 50 years of **** all

If both sides could cherry pick 3 players off each others list they would be laughing
I'd take Carlisle, Steven and maybe Hickey or Weller and I'd back us for instant top 8
Sure the saints would love a Viney, Petracca and say Mcdonald for arguments sake
Either way you can argue about the sure things all you like ( Hogan v McCartin, Watts v Membrey, Dunstan v Brayshaw etc ) but in reality it's the Stretch, Omac, Weid, Hunt, Tyson, Kent etc vs Acres, Billings, Savage, Membrey, Weller etc of the world's
Which every coaching group can turn those young B an C players into consistent B+ to A grade AFL players wins the flag

Bont, Stringer, Macrae, Hunter etc are guns but it's what the dogs did with Picken, Wood, Johannisen, Wallis, Dixon, Hamling etc that made them premiers
Ripping post, agree with pretty much every word of it, well done. :thumbsu:

Back