Who will be the next club to break a premiership drought?

Who will break the next premiership drought?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All in all would love to see the Saints and Tigers win a flag (not at our expense though!) it's not good for the comp for certain teams to go half a century or more without winning a flag. At least the Saints came close a few times.

Freo I would like to see win one too, pretty surprised they haven't done it yet - 2013 was their year but they choked it in the GF against an experienced Hawks side.

Carlton has plenty (7 flags between 1968-1987 and another in 1995) they can wait another decade or two. Hopefully the Bombers will have a long drought as well, if they don't win another for at least 40 years that will be fine by me.

There is so much unknown about The FFC but i sure love to read people running the same old s**t.

I want (because reality is thats all this is, the team you want to win) it to be Richmond, Melbourne, StKilda and Carlton in that order but the gap between the four clubs is less than the piece of paper im writing this on and i would love to see any of these team win the GF!

How i rate the team lists of each club, StKilda, Melbourne, Carlton and Richmond but things can change fairly quickly and FWIW i have no ******* idea which of these teams will win the Premiership first!!!

Richmond it was. I remember how pessimistic I was about Richmond at the time this thread was made. How quickly things can change.

From those remaining, I am going to pick St Kilda, who I think can nab one in the next couple of years. They don't necessarily have a strong top end, but I feel like their talent is spread evenly, which can also be an avenue to win a Premiership. Their list is at a stage where they can improve by a lot in one off-season.

I find Melbourne more talented, but with all the choking that has been happening from them, I just don't know if they have the mental fortitude to win a Grand Final before St Kilda does. I just see a lot of similarities with Richmond in the 2012-2015 era from them, and Richmond did not go close to winning a Grand Final despite having a pretty decent H&A record throughout many of those years. You know, the whole match it with the top teams but then lose to some of the lower sides when something is on the line.

My speculation is that one of St Kilda or Fremantle will break their drought first from this list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo have just added a fair bit over the off season (for once) and have about 16 blokes that can't possibly play as bad as last year. Fyfe back into the team will be handy as well.

Freo
Melbourne
Carlton
St Kilda

Richmond - they're just a mess. Prestia and caddy will be handy, but as a club they are a mess and need another 5 years of off field improvements before they flow into onfield improvements
Wow - good call.

Because of Bias I am leaving freo out of this. Cant believe I am saying this... I chose Richmond.

To be honest, I don't see any of the 5 clubs winning a flag in the 2017-2021 period. I will go out on a limb and say Richmond will win the flag in 2023.

Look, as it currently stands, Saints and Demons are primed to play finals for 3-6 years. Unfortunately, GWS are going to have a 3-6 year period of winning flags too. Swans have a habit of staying up in the top 4 as well.

People said carlton were ok last year because they won 4 in a row mid season but they only won 7 games. Carltons midfield is ok. Not too sure about the KPPs.

Richmond is a strange team. Midfield is decent and they have a good key defender in Rance and Good key forward in riewoldt. A decen coach would of guided them to finals easily.

If Hardwick gets sacked and they get a decent coach, then this changes a few factors on here.
Got the prediction right. Didn't expect the tiger to win the flag in 2017 though

To be fair saying we wouldn’t win a flag in 2017 or even that we needed a complete rebuild before contending again wasn’t unreasonable - in fact completely fair. But I hope some people that were saying we wouldn’t be first like it was a fact have learnt that there’s no guarantees in football. Ever.

giphy.gif

I'd think it's going to be Hawthorn. What say you, O'Rourke Awakens!! ?
My 7 year old considers it a drought. He’s positively astonished Hawthorn doesn’t win every year as this is what his “living memory” suggested early on.

That said, Daddy is suffering too. Good thing Clarko will sort it out

Last edited:
Well done to the Tigers, they did well and it was great for footy to see them win. Good solid honest bunch, great for Hardwick also.

Of the remaining teams, well it's anyone's guess. I think Fremantle might actually surprise a few with how well they improve.

I'll go out on a limb here and predict the next 5 premiers.

2018 - Geelong
2019 - Collingwood
2020 - Fremantle
2021 - Brisbane
2022 - Hawthorn

Completely wild, haven't picked Melbourne as I don't want to jinx us!

Well done to the Tigers, they did well and it was great for footy to see them win. Good solid honest bunch, great for Hardwick also.

Of the remaining teams, well it's anyone's guess. I think Fremantle might actually surprise a few with how well they improve.

I'll go out on a limb here and predict the next 5 premiers.

2018 - Geelong
2019 - Collingwood
2020 - Fremantle
2021 - Brisbane
2022 - Hawthorn

Completely wild, haven't picked Melbourne as I don't want to jinx us!
The only two of those sides with a chance are Collingwood (I hated writing that but they only have a very slim chance) and Brisbane. If Ablett had stayed at Geelong they would have traded him out by now. I suppose Hawthorn have as much chance as any other team in 5 years time but are most likely going to drop further before turning things around eventually (could be 5 years or could be 38). StKilda is more likely than all of the sides that you listed. Most likely the next 5 premierships will be shared by Richmond, GWS, StK and Brisbane (and maybe Sydney).

Back