Who will be the next club to break a premiership drought?

Who will break the next premiership drought?

• Total voters

GiantsTragic

Debutant
Dec 21, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The only two of those sides with a chance are Collingwood (I hated writing that but they only have a very slim chance) and Brisbane. If Ablett had stayed at Geelong they would have traded him out by now. I suppose Hawthorn have as much chance as any other team in 5 years time but are most likely going to drop further before turning things around eventually (could be 5 years or could be 38). StKilda is more likely than all of the sides that you listed. Most likely the next 5 premierships will be shared by Richmond, GWS, StK and Brisbane (and maybe Sydney).
Brisbane will take a few years I think. They got that inconsistent developing period to get though that all young sides have, for a couple of years, and Zorko is a big out in the short term

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The only two of those sides with a chance are Collingwood (I hated writing that but they only have a very slim chance) and Brisbane. If Ablett had stayed at Geelong they would have traded him out by now. I suppose Hawthorn have as much chance as any other team in 5 years time but are most likely going to drop further before turning things around eventually (could be 5 years or could be 38). StKilda is more likely than all of the sides that you listed. Most likely the next 5 premierships will be shared by Richmond, GWS, StK and Brisbane (and maybe Sydney).
And hopefully Melbourne before Brisbane please ;)

Brisbane will take a few years I think. They got that inconsistent developing period to get though that all young sides have, for a couple of years, and Zorko is a big out in the short term

hey what? Zorko is out? is he injured?

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
St kilda.

As soon as Melbourne string a few wins together, they start drinking their own bath water and serve up a putrid effortless performance. If I had to pick any team to choke away a finals series it would be them.
Well I was off about St Kilda but absolutely smack bang on about the arrogant chokers.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
crazy to bump and old thread so richmond got their flag, whos next out of this lot of Saints, demons, dockers and blues?
It really should be Melbourne. Their mix seems pretty close to cherry ripe IMO. If they don't win a flag with Gawn, Petracca, Oliver etc they will have missed a real opportunity.

And they appear to have nailed a few earlyish picks of late, which is often the crucial ingredient. It's all very well to trade in the likes of May and Lever but you have to add to the best 22 via the draft.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
If there's colour footage of your last premiership does it even count as a drought? :think:
20 years feels dry.
but not sure it's a drought.

Crows go on the list before Dons and Roos if that's the case.
Brissy and Port getting close too.

20 years & 18 clubs...
I think you need to get to 30 for it to count.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Aside from my Club, I would love to see Freo to win their first Flag but they are a long way off. Melbourne are closer than St Kilda I guess.

The Saints only won a flag because they played the Pies. Arguably Port Melbourne should have been admitted to the VFL ahead of the Saints or North for that matter. The Rod Owen story and thread demonstrates how abject this mob has been. Morally they should not exist. They will not win another Flag before they fold or are amalgamated/relocated.

I saw the Dees last flag (lol, also v the Pies). The unwarranted sacking of Norm Smith (all time greatest footy coach imo) cursed that previously successful Club. They look closer to ending the drought but have not dealt with the curse.
Well you must be a pensioner then lol.

Saying that...... I look at the hawks and Demons history and they have had the extremes on both the good and bad ways.

Hawks struggled when they 1st started. 32 years of not making finals from 1925-56. It sucked ack then as there was only 4 finals spots for 12 teams in that time. Had they introduced a 5th finals spot from 1930 onwards, Hawks would of made finals in 1937 I think. Saying that, the hawks got their 1st flag in 1961 and won 13 all up....

Demons had won 12 flags. Had a golden run from 1954-60. 6 grand finals in a row and they only Grand final defeats were to the dogs in 1954 and Magpies in 1958. Won their last flag in 1964 and spent 20 years of not playing finals.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well you must be a pensioner then lol.

Saying that...... I look at the hawks and Demons history and they have had the extremes on both the good and bad ways.

Hawks struggled when they 1st started. 32 years of not making finals from 1925-56. It sucked ack then as there was only 4 finals spots for 12 teams in that time. Had they introduced a 5th finals spot from 1930 onwards, Hawks would of made finals in 1937 I think. Saying that, the hawks got their 1st flag in 1961 and won 13 all up....

Demons had won 12 flags. Had a golden run from 1954-60. 6 grand finals in a row and they only Grand final defeats were to the dogs in 1954 and Magpies in 1958. Won their last flag in 1964 and spent 20 years of not playing finals.
A bit before my time but I’ve often heard it said that Melbourne in the late 50s and Hawthorn in the 80s were the greatest teams of all.

lol at the tigers supporters going through and reacting to every post pre-2017 that wasn't picking them for the next flag, did any of you seriously think you were about to go on a huge run after the way 2016 ended?

Back