Autopsy Who will be the next Tigers 'A Grade' player?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Who's your top 5 mids of the comp?
I know its not directed at me but i look at it like if im selecting for school yard footy

1. Dustin Martin
2.Patrick Cripps
3.Nat Fyfe
4.Patrick Dangerfield
5.Josh Kelly

6.Tom Mitchell
7.Oliver
8.Bontempelli
9.Coniglio
10.Sidebottom

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Fyfe, Dusty, Danger, Sidebottom, Oliver, T Mitchell, Cripps and probably Gaff are the best mix of mids when you weigh up the different qualities you need to be an elite mid. For instance, I wouldn’t have Gaff for ball winning but no one runs harder, I wouldn’t have T Mitchell in for metres gained but he’s an incredible ball winner. Fyfe is the only contentious one due to injury but in reality in pure football terms is probably the best player in the comp for all round footballing ability so I can’t leave him out...
Fyfe-Yes has had injury issues but is the complete footballer
Dusty-Match winner but his defensive side of his game needs to be improved.
Danger-Like Dusty can be a match winner but his disposal by foot is suss.
Sidebottom-Great 18 but so did Cotch in 12.Not sure why you have him ahead of Cotch.
Oliver-A bull but disposal can be sloppy at times.
Mitchell-Once one great year yet you mark him ahead of Cotch on the same basis you don't rate Cotch.
Cripps-Inside bull.Would be great in a top side but his disposal is worse than Dangerfield.
So i'm confused why you think Cotch wouldn't be in amongst the above considering the only flaw like those above apart from Fyfe is his Goal kicking.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Dusty, Danger, Cripps, Fyfe, Mitchell
No kelly?

I know its not directed at me but i look at it like if im selecting for school yard footy

1. Dustin Martin
2.Patrick Cripps
3.Nat Fyfe
4.Patrick Dangerfield
5.Josh Kelly

6.Tom Mitchell
7.Oliver
8.Bontempelli
9.Coniglio
10.Sidebottom
Would have Fyfe at 1
Kelly #2
Dusty #3
Toss up for the rest which would include Cotch.

Fyfe-Yes has had injury issues but is the complete footballer
Dusty-Match winner but his defensive side of his game needs to be improved.
Danger-Like Dusty can be a match winner but his disposal by foot is suss.
Sidebottom-Great 18 but so did Cotch in 12.Not sure why you have him ahead of Cotch.
Oliver-A bull but disposal can be sloppy at times.
Mitchell-Once one great year yet you mark him ahead of Cotch on the same basis you don't rate Cotch.
Cripps-Inside bull.Would be great in a top side but his disposal is worse than Dangerfield.
So i'm confused why you think Cotch wouldn't be in amongst the above considering the only flaw like those above apart from Fyfe is his Goal kicking.

I’m not sure you can say Sidebottom has only played one good season.
Oliver maybe but in 3 years he has proven himself to be a contested beast.
I’ll give Cripps some allowance due to the rubbish he has to play with - I was also seduced by his round 1 game against us.
Danger’s a star, we all know it.
I completely forgot about Kelly - also a star.
I’d have Cotchin slightly below those but I’m not that passionate about the debate - my point was mainly about his leadership vs his midfield play being so selfless and team orientated. I think he willingly sacrifices his football for the benefit of the team - something Pendles clearly picked up on and copied in ‘18 (like most of what Collingwood did in ‘18).
Danger, Kelly, Sidey, Oliver and certainly Mitchell don’t sacrifice their game anywhere near what Cotchin has done to benefit the team.
That was more so my point.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m not sure you can say Sidebottom has only played one good season.
Oliver maybe but in 3 years he has proven himself to be a contested beast.
I’ll give Cripps some allowance due to the rubbish he has to play with - I was also seduced by his round 1 game against us.
Danger’s a star, we all know it.
I completely forgot about Kelly - also a star.
I’d have Cotchin slightly below those but I’m not that passionate about the debate - my point was mainly about his leadership vs his midfield play being so selfless and team orientated. I think he willingly sacrifices his football for the benefit of the team - something Pendles clearly picked up on and copied in ‘18 (like most of what Collingwood did in ‘18).
Danger, Kelly, Sidey, Oliver and certainly Mitchell don’t sacrifice their game anywhere near what Cotchin has done to benefit the team.
That was more so my point.
All good.Think Cotch can be unleashed next year.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Grimes IS elite.

Vlastuin has a good chance.

Edwards may be - he's too quick for me to be sure.

OP needed to include Grimes.
I think Higgins will be top line, and Balta eventually.

Grimes, Vlastuin, Edwards are elite/AGrade imo...

yet the wider football community, non Richmond fans would probably disagree(?)

I'll throw my chips all in on Rioli being our next Elite. Have some nice footballers pushing him into the middle occasionally under him too. Not sure he'll produce big numbers, but will impact significantly in assists, chains and scoring. As his ankle gets stronger and stronger we'll see that crazy step he has where he leaves his man standing still - hopefully!

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I would love to see Daniel Rioli playing midfield, He is roughly the same height & weight at Treloar was at the same age and i wouldnt mind betting that Rioli is both faster and has a bigger tank than Trelol.

The sight of Daniel Rioli running though the midfield and delivering lace out to Riewoldt / Lynch would be spectacular

matt_y106

Club Legend
Dec 13, 2008
Vermont
AFL Club
Richmond
No kelly?

Would have Fyfe at 1
Kelly #2
Dusty #3
Toss up for the rest which would include Cotch.
Ah i knew I had forgotten someone. Still think everyone at their best, Dusty is the best player in the comp.
Fyfe would be 2, Danger when he gets his break away speed and goal kicking ability from packs back number 3. Kelly 4, Cripps/Mitchell pretty close for 5.

Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Rance jack and dusty are elite Players
Cotch is beneath this lot

People forget lynch was a top 5 player in the comp in 2016 (look at the highlights he was unreal in a crap team)

Grimes is definitely elite
Vlastuin will be an all Australian half back in the next two years
Edwards is close if not alread there
Lambert is close just needs to move that average from 22 to 25 touches a game
Caddy was elite last year
Dion might get there and showed when he finished 2nd in the suns b and f behind gaz that he has all Australian traits

From the crop that are still developing
I don’t think Rioli will get there
He’s flashy but won’t be consistent enough to be a top top liner
Pig Higgins is the one
Will be Swan like in 3 years time

Collier Dawkins and Balta of the two un tried at afl level yet. So excited about that pair.
Hoping CCJ can surprise everyone too
Think he is going to be a beauty!

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Rance jack and dusty are elite Players
Cotch is beneath this lot

People forget lynch was a top 5 player in the comp in 2016 (look at the highlights he was unreal in a crap team)

Grimes is definitely elite
Vlastuin will be an all Australian half back in the next two years
Edwards is close if not alread there
Lambert is close just needs to move that average from 22 to 25 touches a game
Caddy was elite last year
Dion might get there and showed when he finished 2nd in the suns b and f behind gaz that he has all Australian traits

From the crop that are still developing
I don’t think Rioli will get there
He’s flashy but won’t be consistent enough to be a top top liner
Pig Higgins is the one
Will be Swan like in 3 years time

Collier Dawkins and Balta of the two un tried at afl level yet. So excited about that pair.
Hoping CCJ can surprise everyone too
Think he is going to be a beauty!
Rioli categorized as flashy!?! WTF...his position up forward limits him in general play admittedly but when he is involved he is anything but flashy...Rioli is class!
Got a good un here!

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
The way i see it Rioli is asked to play as a defensive foward and his game consists of roughly 70% Defence & 30% attack
When the shackles are removed and he can play as an attacking midfielder i think we will see a very very good player emerging

Imo he has the ability to get to the the treloar type numbers

The way i see it Rioli is asked to play as a defensive foward and his game consists of roughly 70% Defence & 30% attack
When the shackles are removed and he can play as an attacking midfielder i think we will see a very very good player emerging

Imo he has the ability to get to the the treloar type numbers

Agree Gun, but I can understand some calling him flashy ATM. As you have stated he has had a role to play and then had to come back from a decent layoff from ankle/foot (edit) surgery. The Club will know he has the capacity to get from contest to contest in due course because we've seen him do it when the ball was trapped in forward half for extended periods. This pre-season we'll see how he goes - probably more forward work than mid, but think we'll see some decent minutes midfield in the second half all being well.

Some will still call him flashy at the end of 2019 too, but off a solid base he'll be primed as one of the more damaging forward mids in 2020 and beyond.

Last edited:
If fit, Lynch is A grade

Then this year, in order of likelihood;
Rioli should become A grade if he successfully transitions to the midfield.
Higgins could easily take a step up and forget about second year blues. I reckon he's go tit t be A grade.
Jack Graham if he starts racking up the ball - of course

A few others have the talent, but I'm not confident of them stepping up to A grade AFL talent. The 2 big chances to me are Shai Bolton and RCD. Shai has amazing talent. RCD jst excites me, he cuts through packs in the way few can, and he has great disposal.

Hot tigers

All Australian
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree Gun, but I can understand some calling him flashy ATM. As you have stated he has had a role to play and then had to come back from a decent layoff from ankle surgery. The Club will know he has the capacity to get from contest to contest in due course because we've seen him do it when the ball was trapped in forward half for extended periods. This pre-season we'll see how he goes - probably more forward work than mid, but think we'll see some decent minutes midfield in the second half all being well.

Some will still call him flashy at the end of 2019 too, but off a solid base he'll be primed as one of the more damaging forward mids in 2020 and beyond.

agree with most of this however didn't DR have foot issues rather than ankle..

Hot tigers

All Australian
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Personally I think Higgo is baring injury a certainty to be A grade. Think DR has the potential but think hes best position is wing or guts, use his speed and tank. Grimes & Dion are already A grade, so was caddy in '18.

Back