Autopsy Who will be the next Tigers 'A Grade' player?

I'm interested (First day back at work, so pretty much anything is interesting - comparatively) in why people are so hot on Balta. I know he looks exciting. But what is his position? Does he tear it apart? Is he obviously above VFL and takes AFL players to bits in the VFL?

I'm happy we've got him, but it's CCJ that gets my moist for our junior talls. He's obviously above VFL as a developing ruck and has top quality forward ability. Plus leadership and a great attitude. The club's even rated him as a future A grade ruck, B grade JPF!!!

But Dan and Higgo will be A grade well before either of the talls is getting there. Still good times :cool:

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I'm interested (First day back at work, so pretty much anything is interesting - comparatively) in why people are so hot on Balta. I know he looks exciting. But what is his position? Does he tear it apart? Is he obviously above VFL and takes AFL players to bits in the VFL?

I'm happy we've got him, but it's CCJ that gets my moist for our junior talls. He's obviously above VFL as a developing ruck and has top quality forward ability. Plus leadership and a great attitude. The club's even rated him as a future A grade ruck, B grade JPF!!!

But Dan and Higgo will be A grade well before either of the talls is getting there. Still good times :cool:

This is what he was doing as a 17 year old bottom age player prior to getting drafted

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2017-11-24/rolandweeks7

This is what he did last year as a 18 year old player in the VFL

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-07-31/vfl-r17-balta-through-the-middle

BUT THIS IS THE BEST TO WATCH TO KNOW WHY ALL THE EXCITEMENT
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-11-12/tigers-department-of-youth-balta

This is what he was doing as a 17 year old bottom age player prior to getting drafted

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2017-11-24/rolandweeks7

This is what he did last year as a 18 year old player in the VFL

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-07-31/vfl-r17-balta-through-the-middle

BUT THIS IS THE BEST TO WATCH TO KNOW WHY ALL THE EXCITEMENT
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-11-12/tigers-department-of-youth-balta

He looks awesome. I suspect he could be a genuine star. But I was responding to the OP - next A grader.

I reckon Balta will be a couple of years before he's at that level. And I suspect that Rioli and Higgins will be A grade by then.

Hope I'm right, cause that would mean we have a solid crop to top end youth, of various sizes. :thumbsu:

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Graham
Balta
Garthwaite
RCD

I already rate Rioli as an A grader as he’s so skilfully dangerous he needs 120min supervision. Last year was a bit of a write off due to his season being interrupted with the foot injury.
Also a good thread , but a poll would have been nice.

I reckon Dylan Grimes and Shane Edwards are also up in the elite category.

Agree. Grimes is probably my favourite Tiger, but few outside of Richmond supporters would rate either him or Sheds in the same class as Dusty.

I reckon you need a cracking (attacking) highlight reel to make the "A Grade" list, so my vote for the next Tiger to make the grade is Dan Rioli.

Balta is a while away.. and people need to remember that he shows glimpses at VFL. Need to give him time.

Higgins will come good the quickest. I already think he is reliable. Hopefully we play him full time mid for him to learn.

I also think Prestia will lift his game in 2019. Hopefully injury free.

Agree on all points.

Prestia will be A grade if he stays fit. Rioli if they play him as mid resting forward.

Then Higgins looked like an A grader material at the end of his first year :D

It'd be awesome if our younger players started to step into the shoes of the known stars. Firstly we'd likely win the premiership and secondly I'll have so many laughs at the posters that reckon we've only got 4 A graders and then role players.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The way i see it Rioli is asked to play as a defensive foward and his game consists of roughly 70% Defence & 30% attack
When the shackles are removed and he can play as an attacking midfielder i think we will see a very very good player emerging

Imo he has the ability to get to the the treloar type numbers
Treloar regularly has 30+ and kicks goals. Rioli will get nowhere near that.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Treloar regularly has 30+ and kicks goals. Rioli will get nowhere near that.

Played in completely different roles so far in their careers but Rioli has the fitness and knows how to get the footy so cant see how you can make that asumption
Daniel Rioli averages 14 poss a game playing as a defensive small foward with zero midfield time so far. Its not impossible to see him increase his possessions by 10-12 touches a game given the freedom to play on the ball

Played in completely different roles so far in their careers but Rioli has the fitness and knows how to get the footy so cant see how you can make that asumption
Daniel Rioli averages 14 poss a game playing as a defensive small foward with zero midfield time so far. Its not impossible to see him increase his possessions by 10-12 touches a game given the freedom to play on the ball

Rioli had a couple of stints in the midfield and got good numbers per minute. I expect him to play more midfield in 2019 and do well. But A grade immediately? I'd guess 2020/21 he'll be seen as A grade

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
You can’t just throw anyone into the midfield because they’re fit. Treloar has ball winning ability because he has been playing midfield throughout his whole career and reads the play exceptionally well. He is a pure midfielder that can hit the scoreboard. Rioli has no proven track record of numbers that are even remotely similar to the level that Treloar is currently on.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Rioli had a couple of stints in the midfield and got good numbers per minute. I expect him to play more midfield in 2019 and do well. But A grade immediately? I'd guess 2020/21 he'll be seen as A grade

Rioli has elite endurance and also 3 years in the elite system,He is 21 years old and has built up his strength and body
There is no reason why he would take 2-3 years to get to that level if he actually can become a midfielder

Dion Prestia as a 21 year old was averaging 25 touches and 4 tackles
Dustin Martin 22 touches and 3.5 tackles

None of the 2 players i mention above had the endurance level that Rioli has

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
You can’t just throw anyone into the midfield because they’re fit. Treloar has ball winning ability because he has been playing midfield throughout his whole career and reads the play exceptionally well. He is a pure midfielder that can hit the scoreboard. Rioli has no proven track record of numbers that are even remotely similar to the level that Treloar is currently on.
I dont believe anybody has suggested that Rioli will be at treloars level from day dot, I think this thread is who will be the "NEXT' A grade player for richmond and not who will be an A grade player in 2019

Rioli has elite endurance and also 3 years in the elite system,He is 21 years old and has built up his strength and body
There is no reason why he would take 2-3 years to get to that level if he actually can become a midfielder

Dion Prestia as a 21 year old was averaging 25 touches and 4 tackles
Dustin Martin 22 touches and 3.5 tackles

None of the 2 players i mention above had the endurance level that Rioli has

Rioli can do it, I have no doubt. Whether he will I don't know. But it looked like the club was trying to play him more in the middle in 2018. If they unleash him and he succeeds he will probably go to A grade right away I reckon.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Rioli can do it, I have no doubt. Whether he will I don't know. But it looked like the club was trying to play him more in the middle in 2018. If they unleash him and he succeeds he will probably go to A grade right away I reckon.
Just reflecting on the stat that Casatags, Butler & Rioli only played together 3 times last year. Might be worth starting the year with that trio working with Lynch & JR. Higgins & Sheds to the midfield.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just reflecting on the stat that Casatags, Butler & Rioli only played together 3 times last year. Might be worth starting the year with that trio working with Lynch & JR. Higgins & Sheds to the midfield.

I would guess they may rotate Rioli, Higgins & Shane through the midfield, but not necessarily in equal amounts ?

Interesting observation that they played only 3x in 2018 though. I didn't realise it was so few...

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I will go Macca from Pinjarra. He's a friggin' BEAST...weighs in at 297 kegs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamdyn_McIntosh

Full name Kamdyn McIntoshDate of birth 3 April 1994 (age 24)Place of birthPinjarra, Western AustraliaOriginal team(s)Peel (WAFL)
Pinjarra (PFL)Draft No. 31, 2012 AFL National Draft: RichmondDebut Round 1, 2015, Richmond
vs. Carlton, at MCGHeight 187 cm (6 ft 2 in)Weight 297 kg (655 lb)Position(s)Utility

outta my way fool..or I'll crush ya.

He must have an adamantine skeleton, or something to weight that much. 297 pounds is too much as well. Number from someone's backside.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Man, feels like a while since I have posted on here.

In my opinion, Shane Edwards is probably the closest to A Grade at the moment but Grimes currently has the best trajectory towards elite status with his improvement from the non-A grade players.

An elite player is one that every other team would give up the farm to recruit, as they are the ones that are game changers. Too many players get the label of being elite when they really aren't. Doesn't mean that they aren't great players in their own right, but they aren't the types that you'd throw everything at them to recruit them.

For mine the elite players in the comp are:
Patrick Cripps
Brodie Grundy
Nathan Fyfe
Patrick Dangerfield
Josh Kelly
Max Gawn
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Lance Franklin
Jeremy McGovern

These are the 10 players I'd pick 3 from if I was to build a list around. Right now on our list I don't see any player stepping up to being elite, I see quite a few stepping up and becoming very good players who will help carry us to success, but I don't see any becoming the type that 17 other teams would sell the farm for.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
An elite player is one that every other team would give up the farm to recruit, as they are the ones that are game changers. Too many players get the label of being elite when they really aren't. Doesn't mean that they aren't great players in their own right, but they aren't the types that you'd throw everything at them to recruit them.

For mine the elite players in the comp are:
Patrick Cripps
Brodie Grundy
Nathan Fyfe
Patrick Dangerfield
Josh Kelly
Max Gawn
Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Lance Franklin
Jeremy McGovern

These are the 10 players I'd pick 3 from if I was to build a list around. Right now on our list I don't see any player stepping up to being elite, I see quite a few stepping up and becoming very good players who will help carry us to success, but I don't see any becoming the type that 17 other teams would sell the farm for.

Jack has kicked 600+ goals just quietly

Back