Who will be the Number 1 backmen when Mick retires???

Who will replace Mick as no.1 backmen

• Glenn Archer

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Jason McCartney

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • John Baird

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Rod Crowe

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Leigh Colbert

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Shannon Watt

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Shannon Watt

What is Pagan planning to do with Shannon Watt ?? Surely he has good size but no real body on body strength. Reminds me abit of Mark Stevens (Adelaide). Is Watt worth perserving with or just trade bait ??? I don't think his possy is FB or is it too early to tell? Watt do you think?:confused:

last year everyone was on him and thought he was micks replacement for sure. Now after a poor pre season, which may of been becuase of a shoulder reco you never know, everyones off him. Never really been a fan of Shannon myself, but i think he could be a very useful forward. What about playing him at Centre Half Back???? Would be able to attack a bit more than full back and is certainly agile enough???

I think Macca will have to go to FB until someone else puts there hand up.No one else seems to be ready to step up.Mick has copped a lot of flak over the last couple of years but know that it looks he will struggle to come up people might start to realize what a credit he has been to the club for such a long time. Speedy recovery Mick we need you.

Most of te guys on this poll play at CHB- and arent much good at FB- I would say its gonna have to be McCartney for a while (he will at least need to alternate there) and when he has enough experience- and has stepped up- I think it will be Crowe... CHB is fine- because Baird is playing there- all he needs to do is bulk up a bit- and he'll be good for us there. McCartney is that man to replace Mick for a while- then Crowe will take FB position- after he gets used to it and steps up- and McCartney will probably end up in the forward line- not sure though- he may have something to do with CHB..

Watt- just wasnt right for FB- he struggled a bit- or else u would have thought he would have stepped up.. we should use him a trade bait.

Hope u recover well Mick- and lets hope it can be ur only injury for what is probable to be ur last season

Go Roos

Originally posted by colby68
I think Macca will have to go to FB until someone else puts there hand up.No one else seems to be ready to step up.Mick has copped a lot of flak over the last couple of years but know that it looks he will struggle to come up people might start to realize what a credit he has been to the club for such a long time. Speedy recovery Mick we need you.

Pretty much agree with everything said here.

McCartney has been a very good fill-in for Mick when required. The job is made even harder for McCartney, because with his elevation from #2 to #1 backman, he has one less quality backman supporting him than Mick usually does.

I do not believe that the club has a succession plan in place. I could be unfairly critical but our club has neglected to recruit players to stregthen our backline.

hotham - True to the Roos in 2002

Originally posted by hotham
I do not believe that the club has a succession plan in place. I could be unfairly critical but our club has neglected to recruit players to stregthen our backline.

hotham - True to the Roos in 2002

This year has been a bit different I think.

Baird on the rookie list, Bourke :mad: was recruited to add height and depth to the backline (big mistake considering the player, but the idea was right), Foott and Crowe are both tall defenders.... I think the planning is there, even if it was left a little too late.

Martyn's injuries have taken their toll quicker than expected, Colbert has had a horror run with injuries since coming to North, and Watt has not come on as expected. Most of this wasn't realised until late last year (not all foreseeable, but that's perhaps where the error was) and the drafting of talls was put in place accordingly.

Originally posted by Darky

This year has been a bit different I think.

Baird on the rookie list, Bourke :mad: was recruited to add height and depth to the backline (big mistake considering the player, but the idea was right), Foott and Crowe are both tall defenders.... I think the planning is there, even if it was left a little too late.

Martyn's injuries have taken their toll quicker than expected, Colbert has had a horror run with injuries since coming to North, and Watt has not come on as expected. Most of this wasn't realised until late last year (not all foreseeable, but that's perhaps where the error was) and the drafting of talls was put in place accordingly.

Yeah I agree with that.. Colbert really wasnt worth it - as much as I'd love him to be a good player- so I could like him- he isnt- and I think unless he shows something htis year he should be sued as trade bait- or delisted... I know its harsh. But first we have to get rid of Bourke (Big mistake- but as u said the idea was there) Clayton (why he is still around is a mystery to me) and Cochrane (He's better than Clayton- but hardly...... still shouldnt be around) if we get rid of Clayton,Cochrane and Bourke at the end of the year- I will be happy. Then we can get some new players in and blood them (a tall forward,a running backman, a midfielder, a small forward in particular)

I know its early to be thinking about it- but we obvisouly have to address some things- and Mick's retirement plays alot of that part. The other big part is played by players who arent worth there place on the list- a spot that could easily be filled by a youngster- who may do well for us.

Apologies for being harsh on Colbert- just my opinion!

Go Roos

Baird looks very promising. He seems to have a lot of time to make decisions when he gets the ball which is a very good sign.

Originally posted by blueworms
Who will be the man to replace Mick when he retires, which we assume is next year????

I will now change my views- to stop some ppl getting stressed out bcoz of me adn say Crowe and McCartney will alternate- McCartney will get the main job- but Crowe will get 8-12 half or full games.. the rest of the time McCartney will fill... (this year) Mick will take his spot back rightfully- and next year- McCartney and Crowe willl again alternate- until Crowe stands up.. then McCartney will stop alternating and will either help Baird or go down forward- IMO...

Go Roos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon you're right on the money Tash in McCartney holding the position for awhile, depending how long Mighty Mick lasts this season I suppose.

But as I understand the delisting of Mark Hilton who was a big strong defender was due to his being of the traditional strong type fullback in contrast to the lean quick attacking defender ala Hay, Fletcher etc. I would think then that Pagan's plan has been to groom Baird, Burke and possibley Crowe ( although I haven'
t seen anything of him yet) for the role with Jase to fill in.

I wouldn't be surprised if Colbert is pushed well into the back line and used for this type of role either.

Colbert could still be very good for us. Whether he is worth what he has cost us is another thing.

Don't forget that Arch has also been excellent in putting the fear of God into the odd forward who is threatening to blow the game apart. With McCartney playing forward in the praccys, you would almost think that Pagan is planning a flexibility in his side that forwards play back and backmen play forward. Reeks of Sheedy but Pagan may just pull it off.

Originally posted by tashibatts

Yeah I agree with that.. Colbert really wasnt worth it - as much as I'd love him to be a good player- so I could like him- he isnt- and I think unless he shows something htis year he should be sued as trade bait- or delisted... I know its harsh.
Go Roos

Dont disagree too strongly, but take back the delist part cause that would be the worst move in the history of sport.

Originally posted by tashibatts

Yeah I agree with that.. Colbert really wasnt worth it - as much as I'd love him to be a good player- so I could like him- he isnt- and I think unless he shows something htis year he should be sued as trade bait- or delisted...

Ok.. I will try be calm..

Why would we trade or delist this guy??? People are saying he could be our next captain, did yuo even watch us last year?? Does everyone forget he started off poorly then played some great games before getting injured, He finished in the top 10 in our best and fairest

Here you are saying Crowe should be put at fullback (a guy you have never seen play) yet you want to get rid of Colbert when we all know what he is capable of

Some of you need to lower your expectations of Colby I think

Back