• Snelling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - explain who and why?

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Rioli

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You get a Henderson like swingman to strengthen the spine. Not necessarily the best available, but easily attainable IMO up to pick 25-30.

I only mention someone like Glass-McCasker for that reason. Blanketed Schache in the champs, has good athleticism and contested marking.

From my brief armchair youtube viewing, I'd see him as a Will Schofield/Dusty Fletcher type. Not necessarily the #1 defender but certainly good support for Weitering.

It depends on what SOS wants to achieve this draft - if it is to fix our midfield/small forward situation then we look for a tall next year.

Tall Tasmanian half back flanker that can rotate through the midfield with tidy-ish skills?

Marcus+Davies+4aQGxamRrPmm.jpg
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH not MFD

To all those thinking Gresham might not last until 19.... Lachie Neale - similar kind of player at junior level - went at pick #58.

Neale played 7 games at SANFL level, and was BOG in the SANFL u18s GF, with a 40 possession game. Still not as accomplished as Gresham who made the u18 AA team, but still some food for thought....I know Caleb Daniel is a LOT smaller, but he slid to pick 46 despite being prob a top 3 pick height aside...

do we really need a small forward? smith thomas lamb sumner even buckley plus our midfield. i would think we have enough

If we bite the bullet with Thomas and and assume the best we can get out of him is as a small forward then maybe, none of the others are have shown anything of substance at AFL level in that position

No free hits but may be time for a gamble...............Burton. (I know.....his leg is shot)
We are doing a Phantom Draft currently on the Richmond board and i have carlton. So Far My selections have been
#1. Carlton - Jacob Weitering 195cm 90kg KPD
#11. Carlton - Sam Weideman 196cm 91kg KPF
#14. Carlton - Rhys Mathieson 185cm 79kg Midfielder
#23. Carlton - Ryan Burton 190cm 85kg Forward

I think getting Burton with that selection would be a reasonably calculated risk, He looks to be training well and could become one of the best players in the draft

We are doing a Phantom Draft currently on the Richmond board and i have carlton. So Far My selections have been

I think getting Burton with that selection would be a reasonably calculated risk, He looks to be training well and could become one of the best players in the draft

Oliver going at #4 is interesting, looks to have shaped the draft !!!!!! I couldn't really argue with your selections, maybe Gresham with #11 (equivalent) but outside of that I would be pretty happy. The best KPD, arguably second best pure KPF, a good inside mid (althought I would go Gresham here considering the questions over Mathieson's disposal (a little like Robinson mrk 2.0)) and another developing KPF/3rd tall (although I think Burton is a little taller than 190 cm).

Bonner, possible reach for Glass-McCasker if B McKay and Collins have been taken.

If Bonner's available I'm very confident we'll draft him if there are no other major sliders.

Elite left foot half back flanker. Potential to be great both defensively (needs a bit of work, but he is underrated there as far as I'm concerned) and attacking. Can play tall or small. Compared to Grant Birchall.

I believe he's someone that Bolton will want at the club. We all know how important Birchall has been to the Hawks success. Having a similar player will be a linchpin.

Last edited:
Best available no matter what doesn't work, IMO. Yes we have holes everywhere, but what's the point in going say Weidemann/McKay/Collins say for instance, conceivably the best 3 at 8/11/19. Two KPF that can't get the pill because it's going the other way all the time because our mids are getting smashed. Likewise, Mathieson/Balic/Gresham. May get the pill a lot, but who do they kick it at? Doesn't always work.

You get your defensive general at 1. He supplements what we have. You pick a big bodied mid who can play forward who can get the pill and be a target at 8. You get an inside mid to help out Crippa now Judd is gone. You get a Henderson like swingman to strengthen the spine. Not necessarily the best available, but easily attainable IMO up to pick 25-30. We have also gotten in a small fwd, an outside mid, a back up ruck, a 3rd defender, a mid/fwd, a RR type and will get a project KPF.

A few years ago we said no to Talia (who we seriously rated) as it was felt we needed more run, so CFC choose Lucas.
That was not inspired drafting and still hurts us today.
Sure we had Jamo, Hendo and Waite who could all play key defence but could we have used Talia?

We have a midfield that will hold up next year, Gibbs, Murphy Cripps, Curnow Graham, Daisy Docherty can do the job, so if key talls, say Schache, Weiderman and Collins are available at picks #8, #11 and #19 then we should take them, especially if the mids available at those picks are not as highly rated. Our list rebuild is a 3 year project.

Weitering & Collins being so close apparently , I wonder if that may influence the decision and set up your defence for the next 10-12 years with Weitering,Collins,Plowman,Docherty,Jacksh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greg Clark.
I am solely a youtube recruiter and have never seen any of this year's draft play.
Reasons:
1. His physique reminds me of Michael Tuck. These wiry types, with thin-banded muscle are strong and durable for size. Think Simmo or Enright. If he can play at the level, it will be for a long time.
2. His play reminds me of Michael Tuck. He approaches the ball with clean hands at the end of long outstretched arms that gives him time to release the ball by hand moments before his opponent is expecting him to get it.
3. With his wiry frame he keeps his feet like Michael Tuck.
4. His kicking doesn't remind me of Michael Tuck (who was prodigious in length) but it looks okay.
5. At 193 cm with a beep test of 15.05 and 82 kg he could end up playing almost anywhere but first ruck but I see him predominantly as a midfielder - like Michael Tuck.
6. As captain of WA he ticks leadership skills.
7. Oh, and despite being a West Australian, apparently he wouldn't mind playing for us with Cripps - so he isn't stupid. http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...n-patrick-cripps/story-e6frf3e3-1227483899873
8. And as a bonus, with Cripps and Clark already here it might make the pathway easier for the WA midfielder with a double-barrelled name who is touted to be taken with our likely first pick next year (pick 1).

Greg Clark.
I am solely a youtube recruiter and have never seen any of this year's draft play.
Reasons:
1. His physique reminds me of Michael Tuck. These wiry types, with thin-banded muscle are strong and durable for size. Think Simmo or Enright. If he can play at the level, it will be for a long time.
2. His play reminds me of Michael Tuck. He approaches the ball with clean hands at the end of long outstretched arms that gives him time to release the ball by hand moments before his opponent is expecting him to get it.
3. With his wiry frame he keeps his feet like Michael Tuck.
4. His kicking doesn't remind me of Michael Tuck (who was prodigious in length) but it looks okay.
5. At 193 cm with a beep test of 15.05 and 82 kg he could end up playing almost anywhere but first ruck but I see him predominantly as a midfielder - like Michael Tuck.
6. As captain of WA he ticks leadership skills.
7. Oh, and despite being a West Australian, apparently he wouldn't mind playing for us with Cripps - so he isn't stupid. http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...n-patrick-cripps/story-e6frf3e3-1227483899873
8. And as a bonus, with Cripps and Clark already here it might make the pathway easier for the WA midfielder with a double-barrelled name who is touted to be taken with our likely first pick next year (pick 1).

What the tuck are you on about?

I would be a very happy man with that result.

I'd be fairly happy with that. Well done TG.

KPD, KPF, Inside Midfielder and another KPF/Medium Forward is a pretty good balance.

You could make a case for Gresham, Cunningham or even Dunkley instead of Mathieson. But tbh I'd still be happy with him.

Weitering & Collins being so close apparently , I wonder if that may influence the decision and set up your defence for the next 10-12 years with Weitering,Collins,Plowman,Docherty,Jacksh

I have been advocating for this from the get go ...... Get defence 100% right then last two picks midfield. Next year target KPF and a FA.

I have been advocating for this from the get go ...... Get defence 100% right then last two picks midfield. Next year target KPF and a FA.
Generally you'd probably be more interested in a forward at this stage of a rebuild.

Buying a defender can be alot easier. (i.e. Lake, Frawley, Gibson, *names entire Hawks defence*)

However... if there aren't any KPF available... for instance Curnow and Weideman do not slide... and SOS feels McKay is a spud waiting to happen. Then I'd be absolutely fine with Collins being selected.

Taking 2 KPD out of our four selections may seem a waste... but not really when you have Rowe and Jamison as your only KPD stocks.

It may be a cliche but my hope for the draft is that we pick the best player available at every selection.

Selecting for need may be a sound strategy for some, but I don't see that as being the most sensible course of action to take given where our list is at right now.

We have too many holes in too many areas to be dismissing the best available talent IMO.

It may be a cliche but my hope for the draft is that we pick the best player available at every selection.

Selecting for need may be a sound strategy for some, but I don't see that as being the most sensible course of action to take given where our list is at right now.

We have too many holes in too many areas to be dismissing the best available talent IMO.
Agree totally, we have such a poor list there is no reason not to select the best available talent. Given the apparent shallowness of this years draft I suspect pick 19 may be a bit of a gamble.

Still can't believe we didn't trade 19 , Whiley and jaksch for pick 7 from Melbourne .
Maybe we should have traded Pick #19 to GWS for Ahern as he cannot get a game and may stay in the NEAFL for a while given their options available.

That said, if we can jag Gresham with #19 then he may well prove better than Ahern.

Back