Prediction Who will crack the best 22 in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that Shero is a lock for the 22, unless he gets injured he will play every game.

He's just entering his prime, 5 seasons in now and showed huge improvement last season. Talks of an unproven first year in Tucker taking his spot is just plain ludicrous and smells more like wanting to play with the new toys than what's best for the club.
Yes, I think Sherro will be a prime mover this year. Loving the look of him, moves like Hill and a beautiful looking athlete IMO

I think that Shero is a lock for the 22, unless he gets injured he will play every game.

He's just entering his prime, 5 seasons in now and showed huge improvement last season. Talks of an unproven first year in Tucker taking his spot is just plain ludicrous and smells more like wanting to play with the new toys than what's best for the club.
Or, perhaps it just smells like someone having a different opinion?

Agree......Tucker may get a bit of a run later in the season.

I have a feeling that:

Collins will be a starter to replace Macca while A.Pearce is recovering.

Blakely and Weller will come into the 22 for DeBoer and Suban during the season.

Bennell will replace The Gu when he is fit.

What do you guys reckon?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Collins is a good size and will be competing with Alex Silvagni if APearce is unavailable.
Silvagni has impressed me this pre-season which has been one of his better campaigns.
I think We will see a bit of Silvagni this year. Suffice to say, we are building some solid depth in tall defenders.

Yes, I think Sherro will be a prime mover this year. Loving the look of him, moves like Hill and a beautiful looking athlete IMO
But nothing much on him in pre season training. Is he training with ibbo?

Don't know who mention Tucker to replace Sherri but that person is definitely not me.but I did mention maybe sherro , pav ( game management) will make way for bennell. Don't know why postie always bring out name ( Tucker) out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Collins is a good size and will be competing with Alex Silvagni if APearce is unavailable.
Silvagni has impressed me this pre-season which has been one of his better campaigns.
I think We will see a bit of Silvagni this year. Suffice to say, we are building some solid depth in tall defenders.
Silvagni had a cracking pre season last year, got injured just before the season and, as we know, barely played. He needs to stay fit this year or his career could be done.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't make them a simpleton. This board is a place for opinions. salim malik preaches this ethos but he agrees with you in this instance so suddenly this sort of behaviour is condoned.

I disagree that Dawson is our number 1 KPD. Like wayToGo_ I believe that Johnson is clearly a better KPD. He can stop an opponent and make good decisions with the ball in hand. We obviously prefer to play him as a rebounder because he has a far better skill-set than Dawson. I also believe that AP will prove to be a much better KPD than Dawson this year. He can negate without the poor skill errors Dawson offers.

I concede that Dawson is a half-decent negator but I think what he costs us offensively outweighs what he offers us defensively. We were a different team at the start of last year when Dawson wasn't playing. I believe this can at least partly be attributed to his absence. I would like to see Johnson, Alex Pearce and Ibbotson manning the opposition talls, with Dawson a capable back up when any of these players are injured or need a rest. This is not dissimilar to the Eagles backline set up which worked wonders for them last year, allowing them to rebound more effectively. In line with the thread topic, I believe Alex Pearce will crack the best 22 in 2016 [if he wasn't already considered so].

I hope that Ross and the selection committee share my opinion but I honestly believe Dawson will play round 1. Clearly they aren't happy with his decision making and distribution and he is under instruction to improve this at training. If he doesn't learn how to execute simple skills I believe he will be squeezed out pretty quickly.

It does not matter if people disagree or not that makes them a simpleton. It is the people that turn up to games with their children (or not) to boo one of their own every time they go near the footy. It is my opinion that all of these people are simpletons.

I always hope for good Clark, but I know we are a 50% chance of getting terrible performances from him in which he can not get near the footy. When good Clark turns up, I am high fiving everyone.

I also know that if Dawson plays we are a 50% chance at locking down an elite key forward to under 3 goals (if he plays on them for the game), which is an elite output. When Dawson has a good game, his detractors probably put it down to other players as the reason.

Apologies for taking this thread off topic, carry on with best 22 :)

Last edited:
It does not matter if people disagree or not that makes them a simpleton. It is the people that turn up to games with their children (or not) to boo one of their own every time they go near the footy. It is my opinion that all of these people are simpletons.

I always hope for good Clark, but I know we are a 50% chance of getting terrible performances from him in which he can not get near the footy. When good Clark turns up, I am high firing everyone.

I also know that if Dawson plays we are a 50% chance at locking down an elite key forward to under 3 goals (if he plays on them for the game), which is an elite output. When Dawson has a good game, his detractors probably put it down to other players as the reason.

Apologies for taking this thread off topic, carry on with best 22 :)
Is on Topic, Dawson lock in best 22 .:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a forum Unique Name. It seems that some people are happy to just state an opinion, others feel the need to denigrate fellow posters' opinions. I didn't think you were one of those.
Sorry Dud,

I've been told off twice this morning by the wife for being in a bad mood, I think she's on to something. :oops:The ludicrous comment was over the top. The wanting to play with new toys wasn't meant to denigrate, as I always want to play with the new toys, last year Blakely, Weller, Langdon and this year Yarran so that wasn't meant to be a slight, just why I thought people were saying Tucker over Sherro.

Apologies :$

Sorry Dud,

I've been told off twice this morning by the wife for being in a bad mood, I think she's on to something. :oops:The ludicrous comment was over the top. The wanting to play with new toys wasn't meant to denigrate, as I always want to play with the new toys, last year Blakely, Weller, Langdon and this year Yarran so that wasn't meant to be a slight, just why I thought people were saying Tucker over Sherro.

Apologies :$
All good mate, I know EXACTLY what you mean ;)

Wasn't meaning to jump on you, and as it happens I agree entirely - just being a bit sensitive. I posted on the SC thread I thought there are a lot in front of him, not just the incumbents.

:thumbsu:

Not saying the below is best 22, but it won't be far off. Freo never have too many changes to start the season. As such, my 2 cents for round 1 team:

Back 6
Dawson Johnson Ibbo Spurr Sheridan Sutcliffe

Mid 6
Sandi Fyfe Mundy Barlow Hill Bennell

Fwd 6
Pavlich Walters Ballantyne Mayne Clarke D.Pearce

Bench
Neale Taberner Suban Weller/Crozier/Langdon

Not saying the below is best 22, but it won't be far off. Freo never have too many changes to start the season. As such, my 2 cents for round 1 team:

Back 6
Dawson Johnson Ibbo Spurr Sheridan Sutcliffe

Mid 6
Sandi Fyfe Mundy Barlow Hill Bennell

Fwd 6
Pavlich Walters Ballantyne Mayne Clarke D.Pearce

Bench
Neale Taberner Suban Weller/Crozier/Langdon
Exact same player list I think will play also (might change slightly through the NAB though) - although I'd switch Danyle with Bennell and I suspect Neale might start inside over Barlow due to his first possession domination last season. Never know with Griff and Clarke - it seems to be whichever is 'less' injured gets to play. More than anything hoping Tabs performs well in the NAB and early rounds this season.

I haven't been on the forum for a while, so catching up on everything. Thought I'd give a best 22 a crack:

B. Spurr, Dawson, Ibbotson
HB. Hill, Collins, Johnson
C. D Pearce, Mundy, Bennell
HF. Yarran, Taberner, Ballantyne
F. Walters, Pavlich, Griffin

Followers: Sandilands, Neale, Fyfe
Interchange: Suttcliffe, Barlow, Sheridan, Crozier

Who's missing: Mayne, Suban, DeBoer, Mzungu, Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Clarke, C. Pearce, A. Pearce, Apeness, Hannath, Silvagni, Morabito, Grey, Hughes and first year players.

Last edited:
I haven't been on the forum for a while, so catching up on everything. Thought I'd give a best 22 a crack:

B. Spurr, Dawson, Ibbotson
HB. Hill, Collins, Johnson
C. D Pearce, Mundy, Bennell
HF. Yarran, Taberner, Ballantyne
F. Walters, Pavlich, Griffin

Followers: Sandilands, Neale, Fyfe
Interchange: Suttcliffe, Barlow, Sheridan, Crozier

Who's missing: Mayne, Suban, DeBoer, Mzungu, Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Clarke, C. Pearce, A. Pearce, Apeness, Hannath, Silvagni, Morabito, Grey, Hughes and first year players.

Yarran has missed most of the pre-season. I don't see him dislodging Mayne anytime soon who by the reports has been training very well.

Why not? Suspension, injuries to player nobody know when will happen, maybe apart from you. You kind of make a fool of yourself about mathematics to one of our training watcher here.

Then it's not "best 22" is it?

Best 22 literally means the team you would name if everyone is fit and available to play.

Then it's not "best 22" is it?

Best 22 literally means the team you would name if everyone is fit and available to play.
Does it though ydraw?

Does that mean that More would have been best 22 for the last three years, because if he wasn't injured he would have been in the 22.

I think there are arguments for both points of view, but injuries, suspensions and fom fluctuations will probably determine what the changes are on most occasions.

Does it though ydraw?.

Yes, it does.

For example, Sonny Walters is in our "Best 22" whether or not he is currently injured or suspended. If he's not playing, then we don't have our "Best 22" on the park. That is what "Best 22" means.

As for Morabito, it's hard to say whether or not he's best 22 as he hasn't played in 5 years. But that doesn't change the meaning of "Best 22".

Yes, it does.

For example, Sonny Walters is in our "Best 22" whether or not he is currently injured or suspended. If he's not playing, then we don't have our "Best 22" on the park. That is what "Best 22" means.

As for Morabito, it's hard to say whether or not he's best 22 as he hasn't played in 5 years. But that doesn't change the meaning of "Best 22".
Fair call, I can see the logic in that. For me though, a player can be "best 22" one week and nowhere near it the next. Zac Clark is a classic example - at his best he is an automatic in the best 22, but then inexplicably his form will drop and he's behind Jon Griffin.

I don't believe there are any "locks" in the best 22, just those whose current form, fitness and availability - coupled with their abilities - makes them best 22 on any given week.

Interesting discussion though...

Sure, best 22 can change over time. Otherwise we'd be playing the same team now that we were 5 years ago. That's kind of the point of this thread, to decide how much our best 22 has changed since last season. Which is why it's silly for people to request that we don't talk about who might get dropped. If you're going to name a best 22, then that necessarily includes talking about who is not (or no longer) in the best 22.

It becomes really difficult to talk about team changes when people get upset any time there is a negative comment about a listed player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back